Search

Tools to support Explicit Instruction, and Effective Teaching practice

• Public
Started by Granthod 06 Dec 2012 5:43pm () Replies (3)

I am interested to know about any Apps or iBooks that teachers are finding to be useful in supporting explicit instruction, across specific curriculum areas? In particular, I am keen to identify which functionality in particular facilitates good teaching practice, ( by making life easier for teachers, simplifying a common task, etc).

I started searching for Apps a couple of years ago, that were relevant to the needs of my grandkids, but recently have got more interested in the use teachers are making of Apps in classrooms.

It is so mind-boggling to see the Pinterest boards, or other lists of useful apps, -there are almost too many apps, and so far most that I have seen have been useful as tools for enabling creative expression or as 'reward'-type activities

This is really picking up on an earlier comment from Marcus Norrish, where he expressed a concern that iPads might get used mainly for fast finishers, rather than as teaching tools.

For example, I have had a look at apps for classroom collaboration across many iPads, such as Nearpod, and would be keen to hear of anyone who has used it in a class setting...?

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 07 Dec 2012 10:19am ()

Hi Grant, this is very relevant request, thank you for bringing this up.

Reminds me of the of the ‘Emerging' to 'Engaging' phases of the e-Learning Planning Framework, where as educators, we go from, a raised awareness and trialing technologies, to an ability to, plan and use technologies appropriately for specific learning outcomes.

One excellent example, that clearly aligns effective pedagogy with the appropriate use of e-tools (iPads), comes from Software for Learning’s, Snapshot: iPads in a Junior Classroom.

I have attempted to briefly share how to use Garageband on an iPad, to enhance the students' basic knowledge of music elements and you may also find some snippets of gold in the search facility, where ICT PD cluster schools have elaborated (in their reflective summaries), on ways iPads have been used across the curriculum.

Over time, I’d love to hear more e-learning stories from teachers as they share:

• Who has been taught (individual, group, class, diverse learners) We are...
    • Learning intentions (based on prior data gathering) We were learning to...
    • Valued outcomes (what they might look like once achieved) We wanted to achieve...
    • Planned and delivered interventions (how these were taught effectively) We did...
    • Appropriate technologies/e-learning toolsused (how these impacted on the learning) We
    • used...and this resulted in...
    • Links to assessment (evidence and examples)

Smile

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 07 Dec 2012 6:15pm ()

Kia ora Grant,

Good question. I recently had a long discussion about this, as I was looking at the section on Software for Learning that allows you to search by curriculum area. The challenge here is that, increasingly, there are many technologies/apps that could be used across many/all learning areas. If we think of e-learning as supporting our pedagogy, then we might be looking for apps that support collaboration, or allow us to pull together prior knowledge. An app like Pages or Paper could be used in multiple ways to support thinking, planning, content creation, editing etc.

That said, there are, of course, apps that help us explore concepts in the curriculum in new ways. For example, you can find many sites that recommend great Science apps or ones related to the social sciences.  We can dive into the brain, unpack a cell, travel the globe....It comes down to what the students need to learn and how they will learn it.

What would be helpful here? Maybe it would be good to develop examples of an app + the curriculum content + how it was used, in this thread?

For example:

• Sam and Hone (Year 3/4 class) were exploring an inquiry about the Moon (Science: Planet Earth and beyond) and its relationship to Earth and us.
    • They used the Moon app to help them map the phases during November and build on their prior knowledge. They tracked the night sky that they could see each night using a diary and consulted the app each day to find coresponding information.
    • After four weeks, they were able to explain how and why the phases of the moon develop.

Doeas that help answer your question? Is that the kind of thing you are looking for?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.