Search

The iPad effect - drastic changes in the classroom

• Public
Started by Tania 20 Nov 2012 3:11pm () Replies (6)

Just a blogpost I happened upon through Facebook that I think is well worth the share.  Check out the top 10 changes in the classroom as reflected upon by this teacher.  Would love to hear other teachers top 10 changes in the classroom environment/culture...Cool

1.  Fewer Water Bubbler Visits

2.  Fewer Restroom Visits

3.  Fewer Nurse Visits

4. “Can I do an extra problem?”

5.  Increased Focus

6. Getting to Work FASTER!

7. Better Behavior Choices

8. Clearer Communication

9. Increased Engagement

10.  Clearer Assessment

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2012 2:22pm ()

11. New understandings and Increased knowledge

Thanks for starting this post Tania. I'm going to be a bit controversial and invite us to think about mobile devices, including android models. The reason why I say that is, because recently a Deputy Principal showed me the latest quantitative data for Basic Facts and Individual Knowledge Assessment of Number (IKAN) in her school.

The following results show a dramatic increase in basic facts and number recall and have been attributed to students' access to mobile devices across the school. This includes both Sony android tablets and iPads.

Cohort one results

Cohort one results

Cohort two results

Cohort two results

The Deputy Principal put this down to “leveraged blended learning opportunities.” She went on to explain how teachers would (and do) have difficulty sitting with every child individually, to help support their increased knowledge in this area. Instead, frequent access to apps on mobile devices, has helped to support the consolidation of number facts across the school.

Just thinking out loud...maybe it’s not the device...rather, what’s been loaded on them and for what intended learning outcome - that can really make the difference?

Big thank you to the school who has been generous enough to share these fantastic results.

• Craig Robinson (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2012 6:21pm ()

Tessa this is amazing after following many groups for many months the talk has now got to where it should be i.e about the app not the apple. Why we so captivated by a specific device is a mystery, though maybe it isn't that surprising given the power of advertising and the need to follow a trend! Perhaps N.Z has more sheep than we imagined!

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2012 9:35pm ()

Mmm, I think there's a reason why iPads are really popular in schools as opposed to other devices.  But Fraser says it better than I do.

http://speirs.org/blog/2012/3/6/we-need-to-talk-about-android.html

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2012 7:08pm ()

Just from a teachers perspective who has been brought up with PCs and doesn't own an apple computer.  I do however own an  iPhone so went the apple way as founf them so easy to use and after watching my 2 year old son make his way around all the apps, youtube and the camera roll I thought, " if he can just imagine what my 6 & 7 year olds can do".  I have the same discussion at work and at the end of the day it's more about what the teacher is comfortable with, as then they will get the most out of the product and therefore the children learning, consolidating or creating.  I do find the apple apps are very easy to load, access, understand and with all the research on iPads it was an easier way to start as some of the work has been done for us. Now busy teachers love it when that happens.  I think the android market is great if that's what you are into, I however prefer the full access to all apps which android don't have and I also don't like the screen set up on android as this is not quite as simple as the apple.  I do find the android battery life is also not great and drains quickly.  In a class I don't have time to be charging over the day. You are absolutely right it's not the device but the learning the child gets out of it, but also how comfortable the teacher is with all its potential. 

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 29 Nov 2012 9:41am ()

Hi Craig, Josie and Matthew, thank you for continuing the debate.

I think the original stats and story intrigued me - because we're now starting to see how data can be collected to show shifts in learning - in light of the frequency and volumn of access to digital teaching aides and resources.

That's exciting, especially when some might question the validity/credibility of e-learning tools fullstop. Smile

Join this group to contribute to discussions.