Search

Using gaming to stimulate and motivate

• Public
Started by Suzie Vesper 19 Nov 2012 11:07pm () Replies (2)

This thread is a place to look at the place of gaming in Year 7/8 education.  This discussion started in the introductions thread so I am pasting some of that discussion here to kick things off:

For writing I have begun to look at online games to inspire and motivate students writing, Games like http://www.howrse.com/ , csi:web adventure http://forensics.rice.edu/ and CSR Racing (ipad app.) are proving to be very popular with the students and the interests levels and quality of writing has definately improved - Justin Hickey

I'm keen to look at gaming next year as well and was thinking of bringing in Samorost 2 and Machinarium as possible options - Suzie Vesper

I have just checked out both games. The kids love and have commented that is is really challenging but fun. How do you see them being used? I have been giving the students time on the games and then get them to create a character within those games. They have been using the games to help develop their settings and then having them create their own complication and resolution. I am sure there are other ways to incorporate these games into my literacy program, but am not quite sure how at this stage. How do you use the games, or how do you see them being used? - Justin Hickey

Replies

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2012 11:19pm ()

This snapshot by a Year 3/4 teacher showing how she has used Samorost 2 has just been published and I think this could be easily adapted for Year 7/8.

Also, check out this blog post by Ewan McIntosh that talks about gaming in general with a focus on how you could use Samorost 2 near the bottom of the post. 

This wet paint wiki focuses on ways to use the game for English language learners but I think many of the ideas could easily be transferred to first language speakers.

I think I would definitely use it for describing the scenes, retelling the story, and even coming up with their own ideas for future scenes.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.