Search

Guided Access

• Public
Started by Michelle Simms 17 Nov 2012 3:35pm () Replies (20)

Guided access is a neat way to limit use of the iPad to just the app you want students to use.  It stops them from being able to do anything else so it is great for those distractable students who are tempted to explore.  It came out with ios6 and is easy to set up from the settings app.  Here is a blog about how to use it - http://bit.ly/UwkHxj.  At step 7 where it says "Circle the area on the screen you want to lock" I just push the start button in the top right corner instead.

Replies

• Daniel Peters (View all users posts) 17 Nov 2012 3:45pm ()

Excellent find Michelle

This is a perfect way to "lock" a student into a single app and being able to disable the home button is a very simple solution. 

A must know for teachers using the ipad in class.

Daniel

• Angela (View all users posts) 17 Nov 2012 5:07pm ()

WOW  THANK YOU!  The ipads I have been issued (as of Friday)   have 100s of apps and I was dreading what the kids would get distracted with, but YAY!!!  This is going to save so many headaches :)

• Ross Hampton (View all users posts) 18 Nov 2012 8:00pm ()

Hmm, is limiting students who are tempted to explore really what you want to be doing?

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 18 Nov 2012 9:44pm ()

Good for special need students or young people who are prone to accidently quitting out of apps.

Or children who thinks it's fun to exploring on the teacher's iPad. I take my iPad to school. One of my cherubs found their way to my Kindle app and perused my reading material looking for '50 shades of grey' that she had been reading on her grandmother's iPad!!!!

I wonder what percentage of teachers take their own iPad to school???

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2012 9:47am ()

Thanks for sharing this Michelle - I, like Allanah, often use my own ipad and even my iphone in schools and spend a lot of time hiding or deleting my own apps to make the ipad more child friendly - great tip thanks!

• Greg Carroll (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2012 9:54am ()

on a similar 'personal device at school' vein .... I heard a story the other day of a teacher who had the syncing of her photo stream set to ON and kids flicked the iPad on on Monday morning to find her weekend shots from her iPhone suddenly there for all to see.  Hens night I think!  Oops ...

Something to be aware of.

• Karen Mills (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2012 10:04am ()

I emailed Apple recently with a suggestion regarding a similar idea. I am going to be using my own personal ipad in my classroom next year and have a folder with apps in it that are for me only. I have suggested you be able to add a passcode to a folder that way you could have your own teacher folder that kids cant access. 

Parents could also use this with apps for their kids as well. Seems like a simple solution for ipads are being used by multiple users? Does anyone know of  way to do this already?  

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2012 10:22am ()

I can agree with Karen - being able to lock / password protect folders would be useful. There would have to be a really good reason for going through and locking a single app, then unlocking it for the next group, then locking it again etc.

Maybe we start a national email feature request to Apple 8-} Would be great to be able to manage folders in Settings and even print out lists by Folders - maybe treat them like an Album in iTunes. 

• Michelle Simms (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2012 1:44pm ()

Interesting idea Karen - instead of locking into an app you lock the students out of speciific folders.  I hope that Apple follow up on it.  I had hoped that you could use guided access on a folder, say all your maths apps, but unfortunately you can't do that either.

• Leah Breeds (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2012 1:53pm ()

Having pre-school age children I've always wanted multiple logons/users to my ipad. I think this would also fix the issues people are discussing - if all apps are installed to the ipad but under certain logons you could only access the 'school' ones that would be great! Guided access to a folder would do much the same thing. I can see guided access as it is being particularly useful for special needs or very young children. Probably a bit cumbersome for everyday use in a busy classroom, especially with older kids. Still a great feature to know about though. 

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2012 3:13pm ()

Hi all -

Its been interesting to see this conversation unfold.  Guided Access can be very handy in class settings.  But it could also be a way for overzealous admin types to 'lock down' iPads to the point of them losing there usefulness.  

It is worth noting though that schools with iPads should be setting the Guided Access password in the settings before a student decides to set it!  

Also, with talk of multiple logons and locking folders of apps, while that would be awesome, and might come out in the future, Apples vision for these devices is for every student to have one.  If you are in a class where every student has their own iPad, then locks on folders and multiple logons become unneccessary.

• Eric Martini (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2012 3:50pm ()

The discussion of having multiple logins/user accounts on an ipad have been around since the first ipads.

ipads were designed as personal devices and Apple's vision is that everyone has their own device. Personally I can't see Apple changing that...so I wouldn't hold my breath on Apple creating multiple user accounts on an idevice.

There are apps available that hide files - though it's a bit hit and miss. The ones' I've seen (which was a while ago now) weren't that great.

As for the Guided Access feature - it's a useful feature to keep students on task - without them wondering off onto other app, either intentionally or by acciden.

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2012 4:26pm ()

Hi Matt

Maybe there might be an app for that 8-}

• Terry Maloney (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2012 4:04pm ()

I know this is an iPad forum, so this is slightly off topic, but in the latest build of Android, 4.2 I believe, you are able to set up multiple user profiles, with their own home screens, apps and gallery.  I'm still astonished that more schools are not using Android tablets, or maybe I'm just not hearing about them as much.

• Granthod (View all users posts) 27 Nov 2012 3:28pm ()

Yes it is interesting that this group has over 600 members, while the Android apps group has 31...

Join this group to contribute to discussions.