Search

How do you use technology for your own learning?

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 13 Jul 2011 2:06pm () Replies (6)

The new resource - Registered Teacher Criteria and eLearning - explores ways in which you can sustain your own professional learning [Criteria 4] using technology.

There is a number of examples suggested in the resource of ways that you can extend your own thinking using technology.

For "just in time" learning, I find social networking can offer support, via other professionals with whom I can connect.

What works for you? Share an idea that might be useful for a new teacher, or someone reviewing their own practice.

Replies

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 20 May 2012 10:48am ()

Hi all - I love using the VLN and contribute to other professional learning communities as well.  I sometimes lack the confidence to add comments or questions just because I feel a little out of the loop or as if my contributions might be totally off whack!  But I've learnt so much by contributing or asking questions!!!  I'm also very lucky to work with a great team - my colleagues are great and they'll either help me directly or provide me with links on the VLN or the WWW.  I've found that reading HELP queries are good too.  Now hopefully soon I'll be on to it enough to contribute something back in the form of useful advice, suggestions or awesome new resources.

• Mary St George (View all users posts) 19 May 2012 8:34am ()

I'm in a lot of online education communities, most of which are concerned with giftedness. Today at 11 a.m. (NZ time) there is a Twitter chat on building your PLN. There will be a gifted focus, and the hashtag is #gtchat.

I also host a blog tour in June, with a gifted focus. If you have a teaching blog, or you'd like to be a guest blogger, and you have something to say about gifted and talented education, please get in touch, and I can add you to the blog tour schedule. Last year's blog tour is at http://ultranet.giftededucation.org.nz/WebSpace/443/ to give you an idea of what a blog tour is all about.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 25 Aug 2011 11:57am ()

I've enjoyed reading the reflective summary from Malvern Cluster and particularly liked how they formatted this as video diary/digital story.

In terms of using technology for professional learning,  using video as a reflective tool could be a useful way to reflect on practice.

• Enabling e-Learning (View all users posts) 19 Jul 2011 4:21pm ()

Love the novel, StephanieCool - it shows your enthusiasm for learning! You have shared some great tips here for teachers who might be just setting out.

I have been mulling over the idea of one's PLN being valuable. It is certainly something I have advocated, and plenty of others on the web do, too. Is "just in time" learning as valuable as that deep learning that is sustained and focused on students? If I find a good reading that I enjoy on Twitter or via blog, is it as valid as readings explored during a two year literacy PD initiative?Undecided

• Stephanie Thompson (View all users posts) 13 Jul 2011 3:20pm ()

Hi all,

I'm doing my teaching diploma via online so I'm already conducting my learning through a browserCool

However some other online activities I've found that have enhanced my learning:

Reflective blogging. I was already a blogger so making the leap from blogging to blogging for learning wasn't huge. There's a bunch of challenges that you can do and online communtieis to join to help you with blogging.

Twitter. ZOMG twitter has changed the way I've learned entirely. Instead of having the placements and associates I've been assigned through my course, twitter has expanded my learning network so now I have a world of classrooms to visit and a huge network of associates out there to provide support. 

As mentioned twitter is good for 'just in time learing' however I've found participating in the #edchat useful as well. Obviously Wednesday morning at 11 is a bit problematic for NZ teachers so I'm the process of trying to set up a Down under edchat (#DUedchat) for Australia/NZ educators on Thursday nights.

Offline activities - you might think that its weird that I should mention offline activities however I've found getting together with classmates, net hui, educamps hugely benefical. You put names to faces and build relationships which you then use when you are online.

Sorry for the novel.

Stephanie

Join this group to contribute to discussions.