Search

Eportfolios using Google Sites

• Public
Started by Natasha Jackson 11 Nov 2012 8:01pm () Replies (13)

Hi, I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there who would like to share their Eportfolio if using a Googlesite?  And maybe some heads up on the pros and cons for a Googlesite?  At the moment, staff are using MyPortfolio, but I'm wondering if it makes more sense to introduce Eportfolios on a simpler, easier to use platform to students?

Replies

• Simon Bell (View all users posts) 01 Aug 2013 3:04pm ()

We are using googlesites this year.  As we use googledocs throughout the school and with students having their own device this works well.  Students find it easy to hyperlink a doc or insert a youtube clip of themselves into their site really easily.  Seems to be working really well.

• Jill Pears (View all users posts) 01 May 2013 9:48pm ()

While we use the ePortfolio as part of our Learning Management System I see great potential for Google Sites as ePortfolio and in fact did this about three years ago before the current LMS. Years ago at an ePortfolio conference I remember someone questioning why are new systems created, packaged and sold to educational institutions when exactly the same thing can be done, selecting the best tool for the job, using a mashup of a vareity of Web 2.0 tools.  The benefits of the current system we use is having a parent portal and interoperability between SMS and LMS but debate about benefits of packaged LMS including ePortfolio vs tools such as Google Sites is always simmering in my mind. 

• Simon Bell (View all users posts) 01 May 2013 7:28pm ()

We are trailing googlesites this year as our e-portfolio.  This is being driven by the students and they are managing it themselves.  What I like about sites is that it is easy to attach files, insert pictures and videos from youtube about themselves talking about their learning.  We are using video assessment in PE and it takes no time at all to download it private to youtube and insert it to a site.

• Pascale Hyboud-Peron (View all users posts) 21 Nov 2012 10:20pm ()

You may be interested in what this teacher does with Google Apps for ePortfolios.

• Greg Carroll (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 9:41am ()

... The other issu for me is that the students need to be creating a digital portfolio/footprint that they can continue to manage.  If they have a blog or wiki that links to a personal email address they can continue to utilise it when they change schools, move beyond school, etc. 

Blogs are a wonderful e-portfolio platform if:

* tagging is done well so you can search and filter content

* students can customise the look and feel to reflect themselves

* templates are used that allow wiki-esque functionality as well on static pages for the kinds of content more suited to that format.

There are good authoring apps for iDevices too for Wordpress and Blogger.

The question about why would you pay for a tool you can get essentailly the same functionality for free is a good one.  Edmodo is the biggest LMS internationally behind Moodle and all the points covered here apply to the LMS debate too.

Key thing is why do you want the tool at all .... if the answer is to provide an open, easy to use,  readily transportable, tablet/smartphone compatible,  and manageable platform to showcase and share learning then use these criterial to filter the options

Slightly off-topic point too ...

Schools are building their websites using blogs too - Rusell St in Palmerston North, Outram School in Dunedin and Taieri Beach in Dunedin are examples that spring to mind.

cheers, Greg

• Pascale Hyboud-Peron (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 9:51pm ()

Regarding google apps and sites (so many googlesite eportfolio templates to feed the creativity!)  there are some Snapshots using blogger on Software for Learning (that certainly have been refered to before in this group, sorry for the repeat).  H. Barrett has a put together this table to assist in ePortfolio tools selection, and you can join her Googlegroup dedicated to Using Google Apps for ePortfolios . Russell Street School journey with ePortfolio was shared in a webinar back in June and you can see it again and access all the docos Jacqui and James have made available.They are using blogs as ePortfolios.

When choosing an eportfolio tool for you and your students you may wish to consider:
    that the eportfolio stays with the learner outside of a school/institution, that they can take it with them and build on it (lifelong learner)
    that it is portable to another school if needed
    that it aggregates productions made with a range of tools
    that the learner fully controls who has access to what and for how long (eg: one person only, for a set period of time, public etc)
    that the tool allows for communication, reflection and making connections as well as providing a showcase of achievements
    that students' portfolios are easily accessed for feedback by teacher in the first place
    that there is an active community of users of the same tool, in a similar context and environment with whom to exchange

• Heather Bell (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 8:58pm ()

btw, if you want to see a wiki used really well as an eport, google apitischoolwiki and follow the links to their student eportfolios. You can't see the assessment results pages, but everything else is there. 

• Heather Bell (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 8:53pm ()

I'm a smart devices convert so I wonder what schools that have shifted to using these are using.  Is MyPortfolio accessible through these? Is there an app? If not, am i interested? 

In the past i never found myportfolio easy enough to justify the effort, and teachers i work with generally use blogs or wikis really effectively - they don't like the restrictions of MP.  They have a familiar structure so the learning is transferable (and safely accessible) to the child's wider learning community too - a big push from MoE these days.  Google sites would fit well too. They are easy, uncomplicated, and child and adult friendly.  

• Jacalyn Tapp (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 8:29pm ()

We are looking at trialling either google sites or blogs as eportfolios in 2013. Would love ago hear from others as well. Or will add what happens for us in the new year. Think it is crazy to pay for extras when something free and already in our school should be able to do the job. And I think bucklands beach intermediate in Auckland use either sites or blogs and possibly pt England - not sure about the latter. 

• Freya Sonneland (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 8:23pm ()

I have used My Portfolio this year with teachers and with my Y5-6 class.  The teachers really struggled to come to grips with this platform and the students probably knew more than me by the end of the first day.  I think it is easy to under estimate our students.  They really are the learning experts and quickly adopt and adapt to new ideas and tools.  My students love My Portfolio and are indcredibly competent after using it this year.  We are frequently finding new ways to use My Portfolio to share, collaborate and reflect on learning.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.