App Harvest

• Public
Started by Tania 07 Nov 2012 4:25pm () Replies (8)

A group of Whangarei teachers recently had an 'app harvest' session.  Here are a few of our favourite apps shared on the daySmile  - I thoroughly recommend getting together with teachers in your area to share apps you and your students are using to support teaching and learning.  Not only do you discover new apps you also get to see 'how' other teachers/students are utilsing these apps.  AND the most important part of these app harvests is meeting teachers from other schoolsSmile  A fantastic professional learning opportunity.

App Harvest

Replies

• Katarina Moore (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2012 8:50pm ()

Yes it was great to get ideas from teachers at other schools and always good to have a catch up. Thanks Tania for organising the app harvest and putting it together on pdf. Will have a bit of a discovery time tomorrow.

• Katarina Moore (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2012 8:51pm ()

Yes it was great to get ideas from teachers at other schools and always good to have a catch up. Thanks Tania for organising the app harvest and putting it together on pdf. Will have a bit of a discovery time tomorrow.

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2012 8:55pm ()

Looks like a great list of apps, not too many, but plenty to go away and explore.  Type Drawing has to be one of my favourite apps at the moment.  Pity the www.rubberchickenapps.com apps didn't get a look in! Wink

• Tania (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2012 8:59pm ()

You will be pleased to know I have 6 of the rubber chicken appsSmile  They are also on the 12 iPads we have at WPS.  They weren't missed out - just ones that teachers were already usingSmile  Thanks for adding the link here to remind other teachers of other beneficial apps.

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2012 9:02pm ()

Oh lovely!  That has just made my lovely cup of tea that much more enjoyable!  Glad to hear teachers were already using them, always love it to hear that they are being used in places other than my classroom.  Feel free to leave a positive review on the App Store, it really does help developers an awful lot.

Right, back to my latest app, I'm making book apps at the moment.  Yay!

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 10:21pm ()

Thanks Tania for sharing the apps from a great app harvest. I love the conversations shared at these get togethers and the way teachers share how they are using the apps.

One of the new ones I tried was visual poetry.

Screen Shot 2012-11-11 at 10.05.59 PM.pnghttps://itunes.apple.com/us/app/visual-poet/id375207524?mt=8

I thought it would be a perfect match for a class I knew who were exploring poetry and had learnt to write haiku the week before.

Here is the work one group of 3 produced. Lots of collaboration and negotiation over the language, the photos, the order of the haiku. Still some fine tuning to do on syllabe count but a great app for creating and showcasing poetry.

Screen Shot 2012-11-11 at 10.10.10 PM.png

• Jillian Norrie (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 1:48pm ()

Thanks, Tania. I dodn't make it to the meeting, but really appreciate the new apps on the list you sent us. Here are some of our current favourites not mentioned:
    Display Recorder - records the screen and sound which is easy to save in camera roll and use as a quicktime movie. Use the trim function on Quicktime and you have an easy to use video for blogs etc. You do need a "quiet spot" as it picks up all sound.
    Snapguide - great for procedural writing. It uploads to a website where the chn get authentic feedback.
    Superimpose - a rudimentary greenscreening app
    GlowDraw - for scraffito type artwork. the kids loved using it for fireworks

Join this group to contribute to discussions.