Search

So where are schools at with Volume Purchasing?

Started by Jacqui Sharp 06 Nov 2012 4:44pm () Replies (119)

http://www.apple.com/education/volume-purchase-program/

I have one school that has it set up on 90 iPads. It seems to be working ok except for finding certain apps. Have any other schools out there started it? I would be interested to hear how it is going, any problems or hints to help out other schools?

Replies

• redbeard45 (View all users posts) 09 Apr 2013 10:19am ()

Interesting discussion. I have got one school hopefully up and running okay but not without a long and stressful journey and learning lots along the way. It seems to me that even after going to our course David H, there were still lots of things that were not fully explained or that are glossed over / not mentioned in the Apple Vpp videos - little 'gotchas' that can be quite frustrating. It seems all good when you get there but it can be quite a journey. Remember this is early days folks and it will probably get much easier with version 2, 3, and 5. You need lots of Bandaids where you are at the bleeding edge!

• redbeard45 (View all users posts) 09 Apr 2013 11:01am ()

Christine just one point on your restrictions profile and maybe I have missed something here. In one school, there are different apps on iPads that are used at three different levels so I am preparing three different master iPad images for distribution. With restrictions, after copying the Apps out to the Master image, I just set these restrictions up before doing the back up I use to distribute them back out to a groups of iPads. Only takes a minute to set up and so far hasn't been a problem???

• redbeard45 (View all users posts) 09 Apr 2013 11:13am ()

Hi Mark, I also made up a spreadsheet with the VPP pricing for single and 20+ copies as I think it is an important part of the decision making with teachers as to whether that App is really needed on a number of iPads or whether it is just a ' nice to have'. I think the cost thing is an interesting one. If you are using the VPP, basically I guess we are trying to be honest and do the right thing. The thing is, back in the early 90s with ICT, or IT as we knew it then, you used to have to set aside a reasonable amount of your IT budget for software. Then with the Ministry picking that up as part of the ICT Ministry developments of the early 2000s we didn't need to worry so much about setting aside money for software. Now when you start buying large numbers of copies of Pages, Numbers, iPhoto, Garageband etc under the VPP, the numbers start to have a few zeroes attached!!!

• redbeard45 (View all users posts) 28 Jan 2014 7:59am ()

Some of the schools I work at have a debit credit card, but some school accountants / auditors are very anti these. Other schools use the Principal's credit card and reiumburse. Horses for courses? One thing to watch when you start using the card is watching the card hasn't got a limit on it, and you inform the bank you will be making lots of small purchases. When we've started making App purchases, I've had purchases blocked automatically after 30 or so Apps because the bank's computers are set up to look for lots of small purchases thinking these were fraudulent use of a card. Once it happens, you can ring the bank and they can unblock it, but it can take an hour or so and it is wasted time...

• redbeard45 (View all users posts) 12 Jun 2014 6:52pm ()

Andy Fox is very knowledgable - usually does courses for Apple technicians, and by the look of it, I would suggest it is more for technicians than teachers, unless they feel they are quite technical - the programme is very similar if not identical to one run in Christchurch for technicians of schools on the East side, run by another in the Apple technical team, the the VPP/ Configurator was first launched - and I struggled with that! It is quite pricey and be aware, an Apple senior technician is supposedly coming to NZ in August to address some of the issues we have been having with the VPP / Configurator. It is to be hoped this one will be free!

Just my thoughts

Join this group to contribute to discussions.