Search

So where are schools at with Volume Purchasing?

Started by Jacqui Sharp 06 Nov 2012 4:44pm () Replies (119)

http://www.apple.com/education/volume-purchase-program/

I have one school that has it set up on 90 iPads. It seems to be working ok except for finding certain apps. Have any other schools out there started it? I would be interested to hear how it is going, any problems or hints to help out other schools?

Replies

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 06 Nov 2012 8:34pm ()

We have started the process with a number of challenges along the way.

• First laptop we were intending to use as a synching laptop didn't have enough bits to run Lion.
    • The Lion key we got from Youbee didn't have all the necessary files on it to do the install.
    • After the install it needed to do an update and on ordinary broadband it was going to take forever so I took the laptop to another school on UFB but it the update kept on timing out so took it back to the first school and waited and waited and waited.
    • I sent an email to Apple to authorize VPP and was told it was 7-10 working days. It has now been three weeks. Do we ask again? Not sure what to do now?
    • The actual configurating of Apple Configurator went quite smoothly but want to add apps and get on with it.
    • Time is wasting!
    • You can understand how people just say to hell with it- we'll keep on doing things the 'not right' way.
  • Allanah King (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2012 8:31am ()

In my understanding the idea of VPP is that you purchase in lots of 20.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2012 8:35am ()

If you read the terms of service that you tick when you install or update iTunes it says that doing that is actually against the terms. On your own, personal use, iTunes account you can have as many devices as you like synching to one account. But as a school you are to have one account per iPad.

It's a bit like buying a DVD. You can play it in your own home but you are not allowed to play it in a school or a prison!

That's why we are keen on the idea of volume purchasing.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2012 1:15pm ()

Without wanting to rehash what we've already covered I have copied the EULA agreement below so people can read for themselves what it actually says......

APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES

(i) If you are an individual acting in your personal capacity, you may download and sync an App Store Product for personal, noncommercial use on any iOS Device you own or control.

(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may download and sync an App Store Product for use by either

(a) a single individual on one or more iOS Devices used by that individual that you own or control or

(b) multiple individuals, on a single shared iOS Device you own or control. For example, a single employee may use an App Store Product on both the employee's iPhone and iPad, or multiple students may serially use an App Store Product on a single iPad located at a resource center or library. For the sake of clarity, each iOS Device used serially by multiple users requires a separate license.

(iii) You shall be able to store App Store Products from up to five different Accounts at a time on a compatible iOS Device.

(iv) You shall be able to manually sync App Store Products from at least one iTunes-authorized device to iOS Devices that have manual sync mode, provided that the App Store Product is associated with an Account on the primary iTunes-authorized device, where the primary iTunes-authorized device is the one that was first synced with the iOS Device or the one that you subsequently designate as primary using the iTunes application.

The highlighted bit says a teacher can have a device that has multiple users, as many as they like. But each device gets an account, not each user. 

You do not have to have multiple accounts for every kid in your class!!

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2012 3:15pm ()

That sounds pretty much where we're heading. It's new territory for us all. Thanks for sharing where you are up to.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2013 11:53pm ()

I was doing a presentation a while ago at a new venue and they wanted me to use an Apple TV and as I had never used one before I was unsure of what to do- I squawked and four tech people came running to help. That was a once in a lifetime occurance. Usually just bloody minded determination and a black hole in to which time disappears seems to be the answer to working out how things work. 

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 26 Jun 2013 5:13pm ()

Yes you can set up different profiles for different iPads or groups of iPads.

At school you are legally allowed to synch one iPad to an iTunes account.

If you mean personal to mean like a teacher has her own account, not a school one, they can have as many devices as they like synched- eg an iPad, IPod touch, iPhone etc.

It's only at school that there are issues around the number of devices!!

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 26 Jun 2013 6:07pm ()

Here is a copy/paste from the iTunes Terms of Service....

APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES

(i) If you are an individual acting in your personal capacity, you may download and sync an App Store Product for personal, noncommercial use on any iOS Device you own or control.

(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may download and sync an App Store Product for use by either

(a) a single individual on one or more iOS Devices used by that individual that you own or control or

(b) multiple individuals, on a single shared iOS Device you own or control. For example, a single employee may use an App Store Product on both the employee's iPhone and iPad, or multiple students may serially use an App Store Product on a single iPad located at a resource center or library. For the sake of clarity, each iOS Device used serially by multiple users requires a separate license.

(iii) You shall be able to store App Store Products from up to five different Accounts at a time on a compatible iOS Device.

(iv) You shall be able to manually sync App Store Products from at least one iTunes-authorized device to iOS Devices that have manual sync mode, provided that the App Store Product is associated with an Account on the primary iTunes-authorized device, where the primary iTunes-authorized device is the one that was first synced with the iOS Device or the one that you subsequently designate as primary using the iTunes application.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 22 Jul 2014 11:16pm ()

I think we need to be clear about what we mean by gift cards. You can't use iTunes gift cards for VPP but you can use anything that acts like a credit card for VPP. I have used a Prezzi card for VPP but it is a bit of a nuisance to go through the rigamarole to buy new ones etc.

Personally I have two credit cards- one with the smallest limit the bank would allow and use that for any on line purchases. I wonder if that would be something you school would entertain????

Join this group to contribute to discussions.