Search

So where are schools at with Volume Purchasing?

Started by Jacqui Sharp 06 Nov 2012 4:44pm () Replies (119)

http://www.apple.com/education/volume-purchase-program/

I have one school that has it set up on 90 iPads. It seems to be working ok except for finding certain apps. Have any other schools out there started it? I would be interested to hear how it is going, any problems or hints to help out other schools?

Replies

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2012 1:39pm ()

Hi all -

Yes, this is an important thread.  VPP will become even more important as schools own and control more and more iOS devices.  Allanah is on the money with mentioning about app licenses being tied to devices, not to students.  In the NZ VPP Terms and Conditions (which are significantly different to the general iTunes Terms and Conditions), the important bit is right at the bottom in Section D (highlighting is mine):

"D. ADDENDUM TO APP STORE TERMS AND CONDITIONS

You agree that your authorization is limited to purchasing multiple Product licenses solely for use by individuals associated with your educational institution, such as contractors, employees and students, in accordance with the App Store Terms and Conditions. Solely as an accommodation to you, Apple agrees to permit you to use a single code to sync a Product to multiple devices, up to the number of codes you have purchased (instead of having to redeem a separate code for each license), provided that you meet the following terms:"

You do of course need to make sure you can meet the terms that follow!  This is the big advantage of VPP for schools, not needing to deal with a different iTunes account for every device the school owns.  And VPP of course does give a fair deal to the developers who spend a lot of there time developing for the Education market which is typically not as lucrative as other markets (such as games!).  

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2012 1:47pm ()

That is the implication as I read it.  Especially when you read the VPP Terms and Conditions in combination with the Apple iOS Education Deployment Guide.

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 19 Mar 2013 8:34pm ()

Hey all -

Wow, this is a really interesting thread, it's great to see different perspectives on how to make iPad Deployment work in schools.  We run the Apple Server Profile Manager MDM solution at school which helps to lessen the headaches of deployment (but only lessen them a wee bit!)  But I would never dream of setting up Profile Manager myself (even with some reasonable technical know how).

So if Meraki can be installed by someone at school with help over the phone with the Meraki people, then that is awesome!  While the Meraki MDM solution is currently free, it has just been purchased by Cisco for a large sum of money, so it will be interesting to see what they do with it.

This whole thread reminds me of a quote from Fraser Speirs I saw on Twitter -->

"The complexity of a non-1:1 iPad deployment is easily an order of magnitude greater than a 1:1 iPad deployment."

Unfortunately many of the schools we still see coming through to visit or who make contact don't realise what a mission this is to get right.  Hopefully Apple will keep working on Configurator and / or other tools to make iOS devices easier to deploy as well as easy to learn with iPads.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.