Search

So where are schools at with Volume Purchasing?

Started by Jacqui Sharp 06 Nov 2012 4:44pm () Replies (119)

http://www.apple.com/education/volume-purchase-program/

I have one school that has it set up on 90 iPads. It seems to be working ok except for finding certain apps. Have any other schools out there started it? I would be interested to hear how it is going, any problems or hints to help out other schools?

Replies

• Katrina Cable (View all users posts) 28 Jun 2016 1:35pm ()

Hi Amy

Do you have to use Configurator to enrol the iPads?  We are a Windows school and have no Mac's... Where abouts in Auckland are you?

Katrina from Glendowie School (katrinac@glendowie.school.nz)

• Amy Massey (View all users posts) 28 Jun 2016 12:56pm ()

Hi Vic,

We went to Casper this year after previously using Meraki (we were going to have over 100 iPads and it was looking like it was going to be too expensive to keep going with Meraki). There is a set up cost and annual fee with Casper but I LOVE it. It was a bit of a hassle setting up, we enrolled each iPad in Casper using Configurator but now it's done, it seems to be smooth sailing. We can organise apps into folders using Casper, we can stop students being able to delete apps, have access to the App Store (and more), we can add websites as buttons on the Home Screen. There is also an app called Casper Focus that can be put onto the teacher iPads that allows the teachers to lock iPads into an app or website from their iPad. I haven't tried it yet, but we have also set up Apple Deployment Program and linked it to Casper, which should mean that when we purchase iPads from our IT provider in the future, we shouldn't have to spend time setting up using Configurator.

Happy to talk to people if they want more information (or potentially show you if you're in Auckland and happy to come to us).

Amy

• Katrina Cable (View all users posts) 28 Jun 2016 11:21am ()

..She says as she goes into a couple of Year 1 iPads and finds them completely messed up...

• Katrina Cable (View all users posts) 28 Jun 2016 11:15am ()

Hi Vic

I manage 120+ iPads and have yet to find a foolproof easy way to manage them.  I use Meraki for deploying apps and restrictions.  I gave up on Configurator a while back.  I find it easiest to set up an iPad exactly how I want it to look.  Join it to Meraki for the restrictions and VPP licencing.  Then I back it up to the computer I have iTunes on (my TELA Windows laptop).  The next iPad gets connected to iTunes via computer and "restored" to the backup of iPad 1.  When everything is loaded, I then open Meraki and join it, in order to pick up the restrictions.  I don't use a passcode as when I want to push out a new app, this causes issues (iPad has to be unlocked to receive the installs.  The teachers/students then have to accept the install and move the app to the appropriate folder, hence getting the first one pretty much sussed before backing it up.  

I hope someone has a better solution!  

Katrina

• Vic Hygate (View all users posts) 28 Jun 2016 10:33am ()

I am currently trying to reconfigure all our school ipads so they have the same apps/restrictions etc. As we only have 8 ipads in the school (we're little!) I am using the old 'sync to one account' trick. Even doing this though I am finding the ipads do not all end up looking/acting the same. Anyone out there with a tip/trick to make this process easier?

Vic

• Jamie De La Haye (View all users posts) 19 Feb 2016 4:16pm ()

Hi we are having trouble with our iPads

This year we have used apple configurator MDM to wirelessly push apps to our iPads

Apps are getting from A to B but today apps on the iPad when touched are not opening.

Big issue with Seesaw and google apps. No rhyme or reason as some iPads work and some do not?

Any ideas, anyone else having difficulty with configurator??

• Jamie De La Haye (View all users posts) 31 Oct 2015 10:25am ()

HI Sheryl

I was wondering if you have for more than 100 iPads and are therefore paying for Meraki?

We about to go to it but fee seems expensive per device

Any thoughts?

• ZoeyP (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2015 3:44pm ()

Thank you Sheryl

• Sheryl Nagels (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2015 1:46pm ()

Hi We got help. Julia from Cyclone computers helped us set up VPP and it is so much easier when you work with someone who knows what they are doing. At that stage we had just the one iPad per room. Now we have more and we have gone to Meraki - again we got help to set it up but we can manage it now it's working. Yes each iPad needs it's own Apple ID - my advice is to use a generic school one with the number of each iPad as part of it for tracking, do not use staff school email addresses, people come and go. But you don't have to invent the wheel yourself, if you can afford iPads you can afford some support. Ring me if you want to chat. 0212899681

• ZoeyP (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2015 6:43am ()

I am in the process of setting up iPads for our school. Do we need to create individual iTunes accounts for each iPad, and then sign up for the VPP? How do we manage the apps? Any any help greatly appreciated

Join this group to contribute to discussions.