Search

Introductions

• Public
Started by Suzie Vesper 04 Nov 2012 10:36pm () Replies (33)

Hello and welcome to everyone that has been joining the group. I am keen to hear what everyone's interests are and what we could discuss here.  I thought we could all do a bit of an introduction too!

I'm Suzie Vesper and I currently work two jobs: a national Digi Advisor for schools and an online ESOL teacher for 16 Year 7/8 students from around NZ. However, next year I am heading back to the classroom to teach Year 7/8 at Mount Pleasant School in Christchurch. I am keen to talk about anything and everything related to teaching at this level and hope to learn a lot from everyone else. I'm particularly interested in how people run their literacy and maths programmes at this level. If anyone wants help related to web 2.0 tools or Google Apps, let me know as I use these quite heavily in my online school.

So what about you?  What is your background and what are you interested in?

Replies

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 08 Mar 2013 8:09pm ()

Hello all,

I was a tech teacher at a small rural Intermediate School in the Far North for a little under 2 years. As my original-original training was for Y7-10 back in Germany, after which I did my NZ secondary teaching diploma, I felt quite at home with this age group.

After quite a few twists and turns in my career, I am now a Blended e-Learning Facilitator with Te Toi Tupu. All my current schools are primary schools, two of them Y1-8. As others have identified, Y7&8 classes / teacher seem to be less represented than other age groups, sitting a bit 'between the chairs' so I am especially keen to be part of this group to support my teachers ;-)

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2013 9:10am ()

Hello Monika!  Nice to see you in this space. I'm sure you'll have a lot to contribute in your TTT role :-)

• susan wood (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2013 6:27pm ()

Hi Everyone,

I am the Deputy Principal at an intermediate school with a roll of 560. I have taught this age group for most of the years I have been teaching. They are an amazing age to teach. I am always keen to hear about what other teachers/schools are doing to improve the learning outcomes for students.

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2013 9:12am ()

Hi Susan. It sounds as if you have a lot of experience that we can all draw upon! Thanks for joining this space.

• Vicki Maguire (View all users posts) 01 Sep 2013 9:28am ()

Hi, I'm Vicki from St Joseph's, Whakatane. I am fairly new to teaching Year 7 and 8 students and loving it. I have tried to integrate ICT's in all forms available into our daily class life. (It is limited because of the number of devices etc available but we are getting there) I believe that sandpit play for both myself and my students is an important part of learning.

This year we have been lucky enough to be given 2 ipads for the class which we have enjoyed exploring. I am currently in the look for apps that might help some of my students that have upper and lower case issues that are not babyish. My thought is that maybe I can actually get them to design an app that would then be used to practise their knowledge and provide support in the junior school. Not sure what to use yet though...

I am looking at BYOD's for the syndicate for 2014 and am keen to hear from others who have gone down this road. I currently allow students in my class to bring them in and use them but managing approx 68 kids accross two or three class with them will be a challenge.

We currently use a class blog which I want to change and make more engaging, I would like to have one for each student in 2014 to use as a working document...I have set a few management challenges for myself so will be interesting to see how we go...

I look forward to keeping up with, sharing ideas and reflecting on how things go with other like minded teachers. Laughing

• KaineHokianga (View all users posts) 07 Sep 2013 5:34pm ()

Hi

I'm a Yr7/8 teacher at Palmerston North Intermediate Normal School and have been for 4 years now. I have interests in Sport, Health and PE, tikanga and te reo Maori, and Pasifika education. I am looking forward to interacting with others in this group!

• Sandy Lediard (View all users posts) 10 Oct 2013 11:48am ()

Hi.  I'm Sandy Lediard and I work with the year 7 and 8's at Rongotea School.  Rongotea School is a small rural school about 20 minutes out of Palmerston North.  This year we have 14 year 7 and 8's (an absolute luxury I know) and we have been 1:1 for two terms.  We have also just moved to google aps for education. Thank your for setting up this group Suzie.

PS. I am at Ulearn at the moment - Congratulations on your success Vicki!

• Wendy Keating (View all users posts) 07 Apr 2014 10:10pm ()

Hi all

I am a newbie to year 7/8...recently joining the "big guys" after many years of teaching years 0-2.  

Our team is very keen to know of any ways that our colleagues are tackling cross-curricula planning without becoming too prescriptive across classes.  Does anyone have any "magic" templates that allow for consistency across classes and individual inquiry/pathways within classes.

Laughing

• Kay Teviotdale (View all users posts) 26 Aug 2014 2:44pm ()

Hi there. My name is Kay Teviotdale and I teach Year 4, 5 and 6 children in a small country school called Dipton in the South of the South Island.  The  kids and I are really enjoying using lots of different google apps and working out how we can incorporate them into our programme.

• FionaR (View all users posts) 30 Aug 2014 8:08pm ()

Kia Ora

My name is Fiona Rossiter and I teach at Whakarongo School in Palmerston North.  I am lucky enough to teach in  an Intemediate Modern Learning Environment and have now been in it for almost 3 years.  I am Head of maths at school and I'm always looking for new ideas to engage our kids in this area.  We are full digital and rahter lucky with the amount of devices we and our students have access to.  Really looking forward to learning from others involved in this group.

Nga mihi nui

Fiona

• Rosie Wolland (View all users posts) 20 Jan 2015 10:37pm ()

Hi everyone,

My name is Rosie Wolland and I have  been teaching for 3 years now. I have been teaching juniors for 3 years and now have a new challenge this year. I have Yr 4/5's and 1 to 1 iPad mini class. I am feeling a little bit nervous and a few doubts as anyone has when they start a new level so any words of wisdom or amazing gems would be greatly appreciated :).

I am interested in ICT and how it can ignite and benefit the achievement of all students. I like them to be used as a way children can learn, create and share their learning. 

• ruthb (View all users posts) 26 Jan 2015 9:44am ()

Hi there!

I'm teaching Year 7/8 in Christchurch - a new area to me and one I'm still getting used to! We are one to one with Chromebooks this year and I have only 18 in my class (rural school) so it's pretty exciting! Huge interest in dyslexia/special needs and will be finishing my Post Grad in Special Ed this year and hopefully doing some SPELD tutoring as I did the SPELD online course last year. Love to learn about new ways to engage this age group and excited for what the year will bring...on top of the usual madness. :)

Looking forward to reading/learning and keeping up with it all!

Ruth laugh

Join this group to contribute to discussions.