Search

The impact of e-learning - prove it!

• Public
Started by Tessa Gray 31 Oct 2012 10:44am () Replies (6)

forum

When introducing staff to the perceived value and benefits of e-learning, has anyone ever asked you, “Where’s the evidence that ICTs impact on learning?” If this has happened to you, how have you responded?

What’s one resource, reading or piece of research you have used that has been useful in ‘spurring conversations’ or provided a ‘tipping point’ about the potential for technologies in teaching and learning?

We could build a kete of resources to use and share with others.

Replies

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 03 Nov 2012 12:48pm ()

Thanks for starting this, Tessa.

There have been a few threads on this topic around the traps, such as:

I have found several of the stories in the Enabling e-Learning media gallery to be great conversation starters too, particularly this one, from Te Kura o Kutarere:

One of the most powerful tipping points is the exploration, or inquiry into a trial and impact in one's own classroom or school, too.

What else do people use in facilitation sessions or discussions that people find powerful catalysts?

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2012 8:46pm ()

Thanks Karen, short videos are a very captivating way to ignite discussion. I've found using one-page punchy articles useful too, like Diana Oblinger's A Change in Perspective (Educause)

There are many valuable e-learning resources in Enabling e-Learning | Research-and-readings (which align with the dimensions within the e-Learning Planning Framework), that can help unpack how e-learning/ICTs have a potential benefit for learners and school leavers.

Here's two for tasters:

e-Learning and implications for New Zealand schools: a literature review
    This e-learning literature review examined texts across a range of countries (2005-2010). A key finding was that an e-learning-rich environment may make peer and collaborative learning opportunities easier, and may lead to improved educational outcomes. This way of working also appears to suit many New Zealand students, including Māori. 
    Author: Noeline Wright
    Published: July 2010

Digital readers at age 15: An overview of the PISA 2009 Electronic Reading Assessment
    The Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) is an international study that assesses how well countries are preparing their 15-year-old students to meet real-life opportunities and challenges. In 2009, the main PISA study offered countries the option of assessing some of the participating students in reading using a computer based assessment — the Electronic Reading Assessment (ERA). The average (mean) digital reading literacy score for New Zealand 15-year-olds was significantly higher than the print reading literacy score. Compared with other high-performing countries or economies participating in the ERA, New Zealand had a relatively large proportion of students who demonstrated very advanced digital reading skills as well as a relatively high proportion of students who demonstrated poor skills.
    Author: Sarah Kirkham
    Published: June 2011

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 21 Feb 2014 3:32pm ()

Lots of gold in here about the impact and value of e-learning: Computers in NZ schools CINZS 2013, Vol 25, No. 1-3.

• Vanitha Govini (View all users posts) 14 Mar 2014 3:31pm ()

Thanks Tessa for sharing this site. It is a treasure!

• Justine Hughes (View all users posts) 15 Mar 2014 4:01pm ()

Brilliant resources and great ways to start professional learning conversations.

I know I've had many conversations lately about the 'Digital Natives' debate.  As teachers we often assume that our students are digitally competent and because they've grown up with the technology that they are miles ahead of us in what they can do.  Conversations with students supports that they know the tools they use outside the classroom but are not so confident in being able to use tools to impact their learning.  For example, they'll say "I'll Google that..." to find an answer to a question, but do they have the necessary research skills to be able to effectively research, question what they find, process and summarise?  I'd love to read others' thoughts on this.

Having this discussion with staff and students can often lessent the pressure that teachers 'must know' how to use / apply tools to impact teaching and learning.  One of the benefits of eLearning for me is that I can learn alongside and with the students and construct that knowledge together. 

Justine

Join this group to contribute to discussions.