Search

Social networks for learning

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 04 Jul 2011 10:43am () Replies (3)

There has been a thriving link on how schools are using Facebook to connect to their communities in this group.

What about using social networks to support approaches to learning?

In the Secondary English community (English Online), there has been a discussion about using Facebook to engage students in Macbeth's themes and characters. In this group, Max Riley has touched Nayland College using Facebook in classes.

Do you use social networks as part of students' learning? Do you wish you could and don't know where to start?

Replies

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 10 Dec 2012 1:54pm ()

I thought I would add this video from dePaul Teaching Commons to this thread. It's in a tertiary setting but it focuses on how social networks can support ongoing assessment and monitoring of student understanding, and its role in the teacher's kete:

Does it have resonance with how you think about using such networks at school?

• Anne Sturgess (View all users posts) 10 Dec 2012 2:34pm ()

Hi Karen, I developed a website with my Year 10 class so they could update the content about their social action inquiries. It worked well enough but now I would make use of a combination of social media tools for different purposes.

For example:

• Twitter in the classroom for immediate feedback, questions etc, not just to and from me but involving the whole class.
    • Blogs to track progress, reflect and elicit feedback from a range of authentic audiences.
    • The array of google tools available for collaborative work, communication, analysis, record-keeping, etc.

'Fit for the purpose' seems to sum it up. We should make every effort to use the best tools and strategies available to involve every student in learning and it makes sense to use technology that students are already using - they're more likely to engage quickly. I agree that we shouldn't lag behind our students (too much) but it's also great that we, as teachers, can learn from our students if we're open to doing so. Teachers have been saying "There are 30 experts in the room" for years - with social media tools, every learner can share their expertise quickly and easily. Edudemic blog: why students should run professional development for teachers.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.