Search

Naming photos and video footage that students have created

• Public
Started by Amy McCauley 07 Sep 2012 11:54am () Replies (8)

Just wondering what other school policies regarding naming photos and videos that students are creating.  Currently creating a procedural document and would love to know what others are doing. 

Replies

• Andrew Wooster (View all users posts) 07 Sep 2012 12:39pm ()

Hi Amy, Public domain we are getting parents signiture (sent home with student and bought back following day) each time. Private in-school loop forms signed at the start of the year agreeing to pics/work etc being displayed (covers whole school year). Cool

• Helen Prescott (View all users posts) 07 Sep 2012 8:03pm ()

Hi Amy

I met a principal the other day who said they don't actually ask the parents permission anymore because in this day and age it's toodifficult if one does say no. Instead it's an expectation that if the child goes to their school theniPhoto's etc will go on the net.  Food for thought.

• Cheryl (View all users posts) 07 Sep 2012 9:04pm ()

Isn't it interesting that we go thru all this rigmarole  and then thelocal newspaper publishes photos and captionsport school sports events with surnames. No parents complain or see this as a threat...in fact they love the publicity! 

• Amy McCauley (View all users posts) 08 Sep 2012 6:31am ()

Exactly - we had the same conversation but in realtion to the school newsletter that has photos and full names.  This is a published document, but is available online.  Guess what the first thing to pop up when you google a students name....not their wikispace, but the school newsletter!

• dakinane (View all users posts) 08 Sep 2012 6:55am ()

This is why digital citizenship is so important.  It is as important that we educate the parents about the life online that their children are going to live for the next 80 years.  We as educators have a digital citizenship responsiblity/role to ensure that we put in place procedures/practices in our schools that do not indavertently 'over share' identity information that is not relevant to learning.  The bigger question is why do we feel the need to identify children in photos/videos?  When the audience for their work already know who the children are, after all they named them!

• Amy McCauley (View all users posts) 08 Sep 2012 7:06am ()

The thing I am finding difficult with the current procedure (only using initials), is not me naming the students work, but the students wanting to put their name to things.  They are putting photos of themselves on their wiki's (e.g. winning an award) and using their names on their wiki.  They also do interview-type refelctions and use each others names (e.g. Hi Sam, how did you find the maths workshop on learning 2D shapes today?). I had a discussion with them yesterday about using their names and why...one student replied that it is his 'brand name'!  

• Fiona Robertson (View all users posts) 08 Sep 2012 6:15pm ()

I am always amazed when parents say no to having their children's photo on school sites but then plaster pictures of their children on facebook.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.