Search

Assessing the effectiveness of iPads / increased technology in the classroom.

• Public
Started by Jennie L 04 Sep 2012 5:02pm () Replies (6)

Hi All

I am currently gathering information to convince our BOT to trial a group of iPads - around 5-6 in one classroom. Currently we have one iPad per teacher in the school to begin staff familarisation. The BOT would like to know how we would demonstrate that using technology (iPads or tablets in particular) makes a difference to the learning of our children.

Has anyone documented / assessed the effect using iPads in their classroom has had on their class and their acheivements? How did you go about showing pre / post data?

Thank you for your help!

Replies

• sansam (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2012 6:51pm ()

Jennie this ia a great link relating to an inquiry into ipad use in the junior school.

http://softwareforlearning.tki.org.nz/Snapshots/iPads

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2012 7:02pm ()

Hi Jennie

I have recently trialled 2 iPads in mt year 2/3 classroom over the last year.  I did get some data of pre and post for letter sounds, recognition and sight words.  Tis was my focus but it was very hard to say whether it was from iPads alone as they were also on reading recovery, wnet out for a small phonics groups and had early words 1-1.  From our ICT cluster discussions it is very hard to isolate the data as far as ICT intervention ad there is so much going on in the classroom.

When I made a proposal to the board my main reason was engagement.  I have a big group of children that are high needs and struggle to stay focussed on anything.  A large proportion of this boys, that can be tricky behavior wise once they are board.

So far they have worked a treat I have created different screens for maths, reading and writing.  This was my first introduction to them so has been a bit of a learn as I teach.  My goal over the next few months is to get them using them more. To teach, display what they have learnt, video etc.  So it is stilin progress progress.

My principal asked what I thought should happen next, as I've always said with any new initiative unless you have full engagment of the staff implementing them they will just become a game centre or time filler.

I hope this has helped, good luck!

Josie Woon

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2012 7:55pm ()

Hi Jennie,

Another junior teacher has written about the use of iPads in her room among other tools in this snapshot:

/pages/view/694384/snapshot-blogger-wikispaces-kidblog-and-ipads

• Jennie L (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2012 8:27pm ()

Thank you!! This is just what I was looking for.

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 05 Sep 2012 10:50am ()

Hi Jennie,

Here's another useful thread from the VLN, in which we have been discussing ways to measure and record the impact of iPads (or any technology for that matter) on learning: /discussion/view/701526

Hope it helps:-)

Cheers

Karen

Join this group to contribute to discussions.