Search

iTranslate Voice HD

• Public
Started by Sandie Haddock 30 Aug 2012 5:42pm () Replies (12)

I'm having difficulty getting this going in the school environment, can anyone help.  It is a great and I mean great app which works amazingly well at home - speak into it and it will translate into the language chosen.  Awesome for ESOL as well as children who struggle with literacy/editing work - they can say the word and it will write it in English - yay! 

The company said about the firewall, I've been down this track to no availl.  Any ideas?

Replies

• Tracey Simons (View all users posts) 03 Sep 2012 8:35am ()

Hi Michelle,

We are on a proxy set server with Smartnet and we have had no issues with ipads.  They are clever enough to remember the proxy setting with wireless each time.  I often bring my ipad from home to test stuff and i do not have to put settings back in when i come into the school environment it just remembers them from last time.

Talk to Smartnet because there is a way to sort out your laptop issue with this as well, just by adding an auto configuration setting in where your proxies go. Talk to them they will talk you through the steps like they did with me.

• Sandie Haddock (View all users posts) 02 Sep 2012 11:34am ()

Thanks everyone, that has really helped.  We are with Smartnet and have had to set up our proxy manually to work on Internet - this is the fIrst major glitch we have had with apps.  However the 2 nd one we noticed was this week was with an app called Roveenable allows you to use flash which allows you to use mathletics, excited when I saw it could be used for the asb challenge however it only worked at home.  I love having iPads in the room, only a couple of glitches however notmajor in the big picture, I'll be determined to get them sorted - thanks for the help.

• Eric Martini (View all users posts) 01 Sep 2012 2:07pm ()

Michelle,

Smartnet have made a guide on how to get your devices throughthe network.

It's a PDF and has screenshots to walk you through.... you can find it on their website to download..

actually I think it's on the Smartnet main dashboard ... there's a news panel hat appears on the left which mentions idevices on the smart network....

• Michelle Kerr (View all users posts) 31 Aug 2012 3:33pm ()

Good information Anne. We are with SmartneT so will ring them to see what they can do to ensure a smooth integration.  A lot of money to spend so don't want issues.

• Michelle Kerr (View all users posts) 31 Aug 2012 3:02pm ()

Interesting comment that pricked my ears up.  We are currently on a proxy set server which causes all sorts of problems with laptops between home and school but are wanting to bring in ipads.  One big question I had was our would our proxy settings impact on the use of the ipads in the classroom and I think I am hearing that it is going to be an issue.  Am not wanting to spend the dollars until I know devices will work well.  Does anyone have any advice in regard to using ipads on a SMARTnet server short of getting rid of the server.

• Anne Ditcher (View all users posts) 31 Aug 2012 1:17pm ()

We had similar problems with apps not working at school but being Ok at home. We do have a proxy server and we thought it might be the source of the problem. In the end I called in a Smart Computers techie (Smarts look after our server). He burrowed around electronically and found that the apps were trying to use server ports that were closed. So he opened them. It's been fine since then, everything works at school. We still go through the proxy server but no more problems with apps.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 31 Aug 2012 9:12am ()

It is my own iPhone that I use and pay for. Trouble shooting for ways around an issue.

Finding my desire path http://allanahk.edublogs.org/2012/08/17/core-breakfast-social-media/ that takes me where I need to go and not necessarily where people want to take me!

• Sandie Haddock (View all users posts) 30 Aug 2012 10:26pm ()

Iphone - not yet in the budget!  Good thinking though!  Me also thinking who pays for this?  Just need everything to work in the ideal world when you press the button.

• Melissa Moore (View all users posts) 30 Aug 2012 6:48pm ()

We are in the process of replacing our proxy server because of issues with a number of iPad appon not working on our network that happily work at home).  I've since heard this is quite a common problem.

• Eric Martini (View all users posts) 30 Aug 2012 6:01pm ()

Sandie,

Ipads work best if they can have a direct connection out to the internet, bypassing the server filters.

You still get filtered through your ISP- watchdog etcbut lose the network filters - so you need to decide whether it's a path you wish to take.

Some apps will work anyway, on the school network but others won't unless the network filtering is bypassed.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.