Search

School Websites.

Started by Catriona Pene 29 Aug 2012 10:24am () Replies (19)

I am interested to hear what schools are using as the platform for their school website. The school I have just left was using Iweb which is no longer supported and is looking to reinvent their website. 

What are you using and what is the cost involved? Are you using outside expertise or is it run by staff members? Looking forward to your response. Laughing

Replies

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 29 Aug 2012 10:55am ()

I feel there is a move to writing school websites with Google or as a blog. The benefits is that it can be more dynamic and cheaper than having a third party write the site but it might not have some of the clever features of a site that cost a fortune to set up and maintain. 

I could live with that.

I have been collecting of theses web sites as exemplars.

http://www.delicious.com/allanahk/schoolwebsites

• Lindsey (View all users posts) 29 Aug 2012 11:17am ()

I would also be really interested in seeing what other schools are doing. We currently use google docs and are looking to try and re-vamp our school website as it is managed by a staff memeber. We have yet to find an effective way of managing it so that it is up to date and are just going to redo it and start fresh again.

I attended a workshop with netsafe and they recommended some website companies that soley do school websites. We are planning on looking into these shortly and are thinking that a staff member or group of staff members will manage it so that it is up to date but that an expert will help with the building of the website so that it does all the things we need it to do.

Would love to hear what others are doing.

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 30 Aug 2012 9:26pm ()

Does anyone else have a school website they are proud of and would like to share?  I am interested in who manages the website and where it is hosted. Thanks!! 

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 30 Aug 2012 9:27pm ()

Thanks so much for sharing Lindsey and Allanah.  I have enjoyed looking at your website collections Aallanah. : )

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 31 Aug 2012 12:40am ()

Awesome sharing - great stuff!!!  This is so timely Catriona - I have recently been involved with a kura discussing the need to have a website - my first question was...What is the purpose?  Don't get me wrong -websites are very beneficial but I asked this because of what they had originally thought they would post on the website.  My question posed questions for further thought about the content, audience etc. So we are now exploring possibilities and I have enjoyed checking out your delicious stack Allanah.  You make a great point Lindsey about starting fresh!  

• Tamara Bell  (View all users posts) 31 Aug 2012 7:53am ()

This is the website of Burnham School, the last school I taught at and was DP of before coming to CORE.  This was developed while I was there and further developed after I left. What I love about this school website is that from the moment you hit the homepage you get a real sense of what the school is all about, the kids, our culture and our strong commitment to te reo and tikanga Māori and ICT development.  I truly think this shines out from the website.

It has a huge amount of information on it and links out to some key online spaces for our children and community.  Having a strong online presence was essential for Te Kura o Tiori because the school is based in the Burnham Military Camp and most of our children have parents serving in the NZ Army.  Many of them are army personnal posted to Burnham but actually from the Nth Is (where most of their extended whānau still are) and we also had many parents deployed overseas, so being able to keep everyone informed of the lastest school news and updates via the website, Facebook & Twitter was a hugely important part of forming relationships with our whānau & community, both locally, nationally and internationally! Laughing

http://www.burnham.school.nz/Home.html

• Tamara Bell  (View all users posts) 31 Aug 2012 7:55am ()

Woops - forgot to say what originally tweaked my interest about this post was we were using iWeb too, so this discussion is extremely relevant to Burnham considering the implications of iWeb no longer being viable.

• Lindsey (View all users posts) 31 Aug 2012 8:00am ()

Thanks for sharing this school website Tamara there were some great ideas on there! 

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 31 Aug 2012 10:01am ()

Hi Tamara - thanks for sharing, what a gorgeous website and you are right this website truly does draw you in and reflect a very vibrant, positive, varied school environment. I am interested to see your website still running as I scrolled down and saw that it was iWeb, do you know how the school are hosting it now? I love how the facebook and twitter links are fed into the front page, ensuring there is a link between these valuable parent contact points.

Hey Moana, great question!  I must admit to great frustration when searching for exemplars of great school websites to find the large number out there which have been set up and then not updated regularly. One of the greatest challenges is to put in place procedures to maintain a dynamic online space - like the VLN!

• Michelle Kerr (View all users posts) 31 Aug 2012 2:41pm ()

Hi Catriona,

The school I am currently with plus the previous two schools I was at use KiwiSchools as their school website platform.  I have been involved with KiwiSchools for around 8 years now and have always found them excellent to work with.  Yes there is a cost to set up the website and then an ongoing yearly cost to run it but I have always found this to be worthwhile for the ease of use.  The cost is based on your school roll and the set up costs depend on what type of design you choose. What I like about it is it is professional looking, you can make adapations easily to the site with a simple phonecall or email and it is able to be updated and managed by teachers with basic computing skills.  Staff can be given different rights which allows them to fully administer or just access their blogs which are part of the package.  Class blogs can have RSS feeds attached for those that wish to follow and links to facebook and twitter can be embedded into the front page. You can look at some of the sites they have created and pricing information on their website at http://www.kiwischools.co.nz/

I know some schools are going towards using Google Sites and Word Press as their websites and I have seen some great professional looking ones and some that look downright horrible andunappealling.  I guess the question is if there is someone at school who has the skills to develop and maintain a free site so that it looks professional of if some assistance is required by the use of a paid site.  If someone is able to develop a free site, what would happen to that site if that person left or are there many people with the skills to maintain it/

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Beyond the Classroom

Beyond the Classroom

Beyond the classroom - Connecting school to the wider community with and about technologies.