Search

Reading Material for Reluctant Readers

• Public
Started by Nicky 23 Aug 2012 1:30pm () Replies (8)

Hi all,

Am a Year 7&8 teacher and am trying to find some easier reading material but with high interest level. Just wondering how other i-pad/i-pod users are tapping into electronic text on these devices. Am pretty new and still learning to drive/download apps for our i-pads.

Replies

• Barbara Reid (View all users posts) 24 Aug 2012 2:27pm ()

There was a discussion earlier this year with a similar thread - Some good ideas here. /discussion/view/381509

• Angela Sime (View all users posts) 24 Aug 2012 12:41pm ()

An even easier way without making playlist is to synch by album or artist, as they will show up with MOE as the artist.  We bought a DVD from a man called Frank Lethwaite, which had all the school journals story (to 2011) already on one DVD, which we imported into Itunes, and then synched using 'selected artists'.  Current school journals from 2012 are available on TKI to download.  

• Karen Mills (View all users posts) 24 Aug 2012 11:48am ()

Hi Josie,

I imported all the stories off the CD's into iTunes and put them all in Playlist called School Journals. The whole playlist then needs to put on the computer/s that you use to sync the ipads. If your computer is used then you don't need to worry about this step. When you plug the iPads in to iTunes simply go to Music, Tick Sync Music, Choose selected playlists and then tick the playlist. See example below.

Screen shot 2012-08-24 at 11.49.40 AM.png

Hope those instructions are clear?

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 23 Aug 2012 9:18pm ()

Hi, could you tell me how you did this, sounds like a great idea

• Karen Mills (View all users posts) 23 Aug 2012 2:41pm ()

We have put the audio texts from the Story Libraries and Junior Journal CD's on the ipads so teachers can get the journals and have the audio as well. Our struggling readers like this. I took a couple of hours to import them all into an iTunes library but was well worth the time.

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 23 Aug 2012 2:28pm ()

Hi Nicky,

The challenge here is trying to find texts that 'tick all the boxes' for our students' literacy needs [you'll be familiar, I'm sure, with all the advice on this, but for others who are not > Text selection guidelines from Literacy Online] - we have to make connections to what they know, appropriate vocabulary range/difficulty, links to relevant learning area or inquiry...it's a challenge!Wink

...My own experience suggests that the range of texts that might be appropriate/available in the Apps store is still on the limited side. You can search those children's/young adults' books available on the iPad in the Apps store here: http://itunes.apple.com/nz/genre/books-childrens-young-adult/id9010?mt=11... but of course, some of these may not be suitable for your students.

You might also want to explore the National Library which offers great support around digital texts: http://www.natlib.govt.nz/services/schools - there are many e-books that are online (rather than only in the Apps store).

...and of course, when you search online for 'iPad books children' there are plenty of blogs with recommendations (e.g. Top 10 iPad books for kids)

It will all come down to your students and what they need:-) Are you looking for something specific?

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 23 Aug 2012 1:48pm ()

Great question Nicky - check this out http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/6/prweb9592770.htm - it may answer your query.

It certainly ticks all the boxes for a young man I know who falls into that category. He loves it and it has certainly taken the first step to engage him in reading.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.