Search

Google Sites for ePortfolios

• Public
Started by John O'Regan 30 Jun 2011 2:21pm () Replies (11)

I am just looking at setting my year 5 class up with individual google sites to use as eportfolios, or googlios, as I have found they are called!

Has anyone done this, had any success or could give feedback on pitfalls or things to be aware of?

Cheers

Replies

• Darian Schulz (View all users posts) 19 Jul 2011 8:06pm ()

Hey, re- first comment, I have used sites to trial eportfolios with a year 5/6 class and it works pretty well at this level. Steph Campbell at Normandale Lower Hutt uses the apps very effectively. I would suggest setting up a template so that students can get right into posting rather than fluffing about creating the pages. I am finding that video uploads are difficult. Students can't upload video to their sites. The teacher has to upload all video and then share it. This slows the process down dramatically. This only happens in the education apps.

I have also been trying blogger for eportfolios and this is much faster, however not as functional as a site. Posting straight from an ipod touch, allows you to upload something to your blog in seconds. I still run into the same problem with uploading video on student blogs. I think it has something to do with the google apps education account. 

If anyone can help me upload video to a students blog account inside the ring fence of an apps domain, I am all ears. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.