Search

Google Sites for ePortfolios

• Public
Started by John O'Regan 30 Jun 2011 2:21pm () Replies (11)

I am just looking at setting my year 5 class up with individual google sites to use as eportfolios, or googlios, as I have found they are called!

Has anyone done this, had any success or could give feedback on pitfalls or things to be aware of?

Cheers

Replies

• Lenva Shearing (View all users posts) 14 Sep 2011 4:22pm ()

We store all the video in third party sites and use the embed to embed them into the Google Site

• Darian Schulz (View all users posts) 19 Jul 2011 8:06pm ()

Hey, re- first comment, I have used sites to trial eportfolios with a year 5/6 class and it works pretty well at this level. Steph Campbell at Normandale Lower Hutt uses the apps very effectively. I would suggest setting up a template so that students can get right into posting rather than fluffing about creating the pages. I am finding that video uploads are difficult. Students can't upload video to their sites. The teacher has to upload all video and then share it. This slows the process down dramatically. This only happens in the education apps.

I have also been trying blogger for eportfolios and this is much faster, however not as functional as a site. Posting straight from an ipod touch, allows you to upload something to your blog in seconds. I still run into the same problem with uploading video on student blogs. I think it has something to do with the google apps education account. 

If anyone can help me upload video to a students blog account inside the ring fence of an apps domain, I am all ears. 

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 04 Jul 2011 11:07pm ()

One more question. I have enabled comments. Can I moderate them? Do I get a notification of new comments?

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 04 Jul 2011 9:26am ()

Got it- thanks Lenva. It was automatically on every page except for the home page- now comments are where I want them to be.

Nice also- I hadn't noticed the attachment availability also.

Thanks

• Lenva Shearing (View all users posts) 03 Jul 2011 1:48pm ()

Go to 'more actions' and then to 'page settings'.  There you will be able to add comments, attachments show links

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 03 Jul 2011 9:43am ()

Trying not to show my ignorance here but I don't know how to make it so comments are enabled on my Google sites??

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 01 Jul 2011 9:15am ()

We have a Link Learning Google Apps account if you would like to have a bit of play within Google Apps - think like it's Google 20% play time.

• Lenva Shearing (View all users posts) 01 Jul 2011 7:54am ()

It is very easy to leave comments.  Just make sure the comment box is enabled at the bottom of every page in the site, and leave the comment there.

With my students, when the site is made I automatically become an editor as well, and can edit the page to leave feedback/feedforward anywhere on the page.

Lenva

• John O'Regan (View all users posts) 01 Jul 2011 7:49am ()

How do I as a teacher go about leaving comments/feedback- is this possible?

• Lenva Shearing (View all users posts) 30 Jun 2011 2:32pm ()

Hi John,

I would recommend that you get Google Apps for Education for your school.   The students then have access to all the Google Apps, including docs, site, mail and calendar.   It is much easier to handle as a class teacher because everything sits in the same domain.   

It won't matter if you are the only class in the school using it, but at least it will be ready to go for any other classes that you inspire.

In our school of 800, every student has an eportfolio within sites, (and other sites as well).   This works really well, as I set  up a template for the beginning of the year and the students work from and modify that template.  They use docs for all their work and so can access it 24/7 from anywhere.   Very easy to insert docs into the eportfolio site too.

Lenva

Join this group to contribute to discussions.