Search

BYOD Schools to Visit

• Public
Started by Koren Hopoi 16 Aug 2012 10:45am () Replies (9)

Hi, Onewhero Area School are now about to go Wireless.  We are introducing BYOD next year, possibly with a Year 5/6 class, and a Year 3/4 class.  Our seniors will have the ability to bring BYOD if they wish.  We have an DT Working Party up and running and this group of 8 teachers/Senior Managers would like to visit 2/3 schools who are well on the road to BYOD. 

Are there any schools you would advise are a 'must see'?  Or are there any schools that would be able to message me, if they are keen for us to visit them? 

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 13 Sep 2012 9:19am ()

Thanks for sharing this Gary. The article is a great reality check from one classroom teacher's point of view. Very relevant (and entertaining) reading. More conversations about the pros and cons can be found in this thread, The great BYOD debate. Hope you don't mind I've mentioned this article from you as well?

• Gary S (View all users posts) 12 Sep 2012 10:38pm ()

I really appreciate the discussion and input. Just had this link passed to me. It may well be here already but it is a very real evaluation of issues and positives of BYO devices. My staff particularly liked this reading.

http://elearningr14.blogspot.co.nz/2012/06/byod-pros-and-cons.html

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 11 Sep 2012 10:51am ()

Hi there Koren, back in May, the MLE listserve group were open to sharing whether or not they had BYOD or were trialing BYOD in their schools. John Creighton has started a Google doc and schools have added their details to the BYOD State of Play.

So far, there are 70 entries, so I'm certain you can find some connections here. Smile

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 02 Sep 2012 9:23am ()

Hi everyone, you might be interested in an up-coming Enabling e-Learning FREE online webinar: 

19th September 3.45-4.45pm

BYOD: How to use mobile technologies effectively

Join Dorothy Burt, (Point England School), Mark Quigley (Orewa College) and Donna Smith (St Hilda’s Collegiate School) in this discussion focused on BYOD – How to use mobile technologies effectively.

Each guest will share their vision, process and progress for BYOD in each school, as well as percieved benefits and outcomes for students and teachers, top tips and key lessons learned so far, in terms of barriers/issues and recommendations for others.

This webinar is aimed at both Primary and secondary school teachers, leaders. Audience participation and interaction is invited. You will also be able to share ideas and questions before, during, and after in forum discussions in Enabling e-Learning: Leaders.

Register today: /event_calendar/view/698758/webinar-byod-how-to-use-mobile-technologies-effectively

• Gary S (View all users posts) 25 Aug 2012 10:21am ()

Thanks Mark.  Do you have policy around damage to personal property. Eg if someone did stand on abag with a laptop! Who pays?

Gary

• Gary S (View all users posts) 23 Aug 2012 10:27pm ()

Thanks for sharing your guidelines for Boyd's. I was wondering how your support your students to take care of them when theyre  odo participating in PE etc. I was considering supplying mini lockers for children to store their devices when they're finished to eliminate accidental damage or theft possibilities. What are other schools doing?

Iwas also wondering about whether I should wait for ultra fast bb before I open it up to Boyd as Iwant it to be a positive experience and I would be concerned the current bandwidth would be far from that. What are other people doing?

Gary

• Koren Hopoi (View all users posts) 16 Aug 2012 2:00pm ()

Thanks for that.  I will have a look and email you. 

• Matthew Cooke (View all users posts) 16 Aug 2012 12:42pm ()

Hi Karen

I like to think we are well 'on the road' - have at look at Somerville Intermediate's website and check out our BYOD guidlines (linked from main page).  If you woul dlike to have a visit and discussion, let me know at mcooke@somint.school.nz and we will see what we can do.

Cheers

Matthew Cooke

Join this group to contribute to discussions.