Search

What it LOOKS like

• Public
Started by Greg Carroll 15 Aug 2012 4:18pm () Replies (8)

One of the challenges in special education is knowing what real inclusion looks like.  What does a school do that is truly inclusive that is different from one that isn't?  We all know what the extremes are - the schools where the principal nicely points out to the family coming to enrol their child that perhaps this is not the place that "can best meet their needs".  Conversely the school where it is simply irrelevant whether you are white, brown, wear glasses, are in a wheel chair, or struggle with your school work or relating to others  ... everyone is involved in all activities to the highest possible level.

At the Engaging level of the e-Learning Planning Framework it states:

"TEACHERS:  Teachers trial technologies to deliberately help diverse students understand the content in  learning area(s)."

So what does this look like?  Really?
What are the DELIBERATE things a teacher can do that ARE inclusive?
What does it look and feel like to be part of this culture?
If I was looking through your school/classroom to conduct an "Inclusive Audit" what would I say about your room/school/practices?  What evidence or actions are there we would see so we know that this assessment is true?

Apparently there is an online tool coming, commissioned by the MoE, that will support schools in making these decisions.  It will be released towards the end of this year I am told.

SO ... what would the survey find in your classroom?  In your school?

If you are someone who does have an inclusive culture in your school what things show this?  How do you know?  What do you see?  How do the students and teachers interact that is different?  What structures are in place?  Lots of questions .....

It would be great to have examples of what it LOOKS like in real life to share.  Please add your ideas in the comments.

Replies

• Danielle Heares-Farry (View all users posts) 27 Aug 2012 8:34pm ()

I have found the New Zealand sign langauge website very helpful: http://nzsl.vuw.ac.nz/

During form time we do not have a teacher aid, the students take turns reading to one of their classmates who only communicates in sign. This wonderful website allows us to workout what she is trying to say.

As a results many of the members in the class are slowly starting to learn sign langauge. It really is an amzing tool.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.