Search

Digital Citizenship Resources being developed - share your resources here!

Started by Claire Amos 10 Aug 2012 3:19pm () Replies (20)

Hi all,

Thanks to Karen and Tessa for getting this group up and running! I thought it might provide a nice platform for everyone to share the work and resources being developed around this topic. Below I will add the projects and resources i am involved in. Would love to see what else is out there and how we might work together!!

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 04 Dec 2013 3:52pm ()

Here's an interesting infographic below which helps to define Digital citizenship - in terms of its actions and habits that, ultimately define the tone of a student’s interactions with their digital environments. (Taken from The definition of Digital Citizenship)

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 08 Nov 2013 1:28pm ()

I've recently shared this lesson sequence with the 'moral compass' idea, with some teachers and have since had a request for a junior set of questions to use as a moral compass too.

I've started to have a go in this shared Google doc and would love some feed-in. Please add your own junior-oriented statements too Smile.  

Thanking you in advance!

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 29 Oct 2013 11:06pm ()

Tonight I started a crowdsourced doc on Digital Citizenship using Twitter and the VLN to gather the crowd.

A Crowd Sourced Digital Citizen Collection

http://bit.ly/1aDvX6O 

• Michelle Robison (View all users posts) 13 Sep 2013 12:21pm ()

NZ Primary schools have a great opportunity to join skooville for free.         http://www.skooville.com/

Usually charged per student it is an Aussie site which has been opened up for all NZ teachers to register free of charge. You can go in and add all of your students and then they are able to log in and complete internet safety activities, play games, chat online with other student, and be a part of the skooville community. The most important element of the site is that it is moderated by full time staff who make sure noone is doing the wrong thing and you are informed if there is a problem.

Here is a link to a brief outline I have made

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1709dSvRbQSFeRxTGwdkAzI-FfuIGuYdvwv6itwT6ycU/edit?usp=sharing

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 05 Sep 2013 12:32pm ()

I had a great workshop this week sharing a presentation on Digital Citizenship and Cyberbullying for teens, followed by a selection of games to follow through with.

Then one young student showed me Take This Lollipop. I'm not sure if you've seen this web 2.0 app, but it really is scary.

Once you sign in with your Facebook account, it connects to your profile and starts a video of a jittery, sweaty man sitting at a computer in a dark room seatching through your Facebook profile and then comes looking for you...very creepy.

Never take candy from a stranger - this video really makes you think about Facebook privacy settings. Here's the trailor.

What other games/resources do people share with their senior students?

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2012 1:37pm ()

Cyberbullying with Year 9's

This week, the local police and myself presented a workshop on cyberbullying to a group of year 9 girls (who needed to hear this message). WOW, very interesting indeed. The forthright attitude they had, about 'their rights' to have access to phones and their privacy, was quite astonishing. There were clearly 'rights without responsbilities'.

The Let's Fight it Together movie from Digizen, helped to set the scene and discuss the issues about cyberbullying. The following YouTube video on cyberbullying statistics, also helped to put things in perspective. For example, 1 in 5 teenagers have been cyberbullied and 1 in 5 have cyberbullied themselves.

I found the following resources useful too. If these students weren't going to use their own moral compass, then the law would do that for them. It changed the tone in the room.

And some useful tips for online safety from Safebook.

Safebook

I can make the full presentation available with transcripts, if anyone wants this.

Has anyone else been working with senior students on cyberbullying and have some more gems to share? 

Extra:

Test urged before kids use phones at school (take the Digital Citizenship poll)

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 21 Nov 2012 12:59pm ()

Stage Three: Digital Citizenship Workshop with Y7's and Y8's

Students have recently worked on creating avatars. These have given them an opportunity to have an online profile – without sharing too much information about themselves. The avatars also share snippets of cybersafe information for others. imageHere are two Voki avatars:

The students have also had an opportunity to evaluate the practicalities of using avatars with a PMI (plus, minus, interesting) reflection.

Evaluating avatars        

These reflections combined with the student's new understandings about digital citizenship, cyber bullying, internet safety and online identity has enabled them to start planning for their digital presentations.

Guidelines for the presentations included: decisions about audience and age group (Parents, BOT, grandparents, siblings, kids in our/other schools, teachers, visitors), choice of software application (iMovie, Puppetpals, slideshow), as well as type or genre. For example, key ideas/issues could be conveyed through TV advertisement, puppet show, comedy skit, drama play, documentary/reality TV or news item - using mobile tablets, desktops or laptops. The software application and genre must be appropriate to the audience chosen.

Planning is shaping up to look like this:

Planning Digital Citizenship presentation1 Planning Digital Citizenship presentation2 Planning Digital Citizenship presentation3

The next phase, is to start working collaboratively in groups to create the presentations. 

More to come, including teacher planning...

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 20 Nov 2012 9:31am ()

Here are some more great resources on Cyber Safety shared this morning from the wonderful Mr G via his blog.

http://mgleeson.edublogs.org/2012/11/19/cybersafety-websites-for-parents-teachers-and-students/

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 11:52am ()

Stage Two: Digital Citizenship Workshop with Y7's and Y8's

Following on from the initial scoping activity (see above), we presented some resources (in the immersion phase of the inquiry process) to facilitate new thinking about Digital citizenship.

This included sharing a Prezi presentation on the concepts and issues associated with the term ‘Digital Citizenship’.

The students were then asked to tease out key ideas that spoke to them most.

Key ideas1   Key ideas2

Similarities in individual responses would help to form the smaller inquiry groups. Key concepts turned out to be:

The students were introduced to further digital resources (games, videos, multi-media, text) embedded in a wiki, so they could investigate individually, in pairs or as a group.

Digital resources wiki

The expectation is that the findings in each group will help to clarify a series of focus questions, that will become part of digital presentations - to later inform a chosen audience.

More to come…

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 01 Nov 2012 10:30am ()

Stage One: Digital Citizenship Workshop with Y7's and Y8's

Anne Sturgess and myself are co-facilitating an inquiry on Digital citizenship with some yr 7 and 8 students.

Before we immersed the students with Digital Citizenship resources, we  wanted to know their current perspectives about Digital citizenship and cybersafety issues.

We used an activity downloaded from the Digizen site called, Digital Values - where you can quickly find out your students' moral compass, by posting statements around the room, such as, 'Using mobile phones in classrooms' and 'Forwarding on nasty texts about other pupils' etc.

The students then post responses to the scenarios such as, 'right', 'wrong', 'depends on the situation', 'it's an individual choice', 'what's the big deal' etc. 

Moral compass 1

Moral compass 4

IMG_0632.JPG Moral compass 2
    Moral compass 5 Moral compass 6

We’d also like to revisit this activity at the end of the learning sequence and see of their opinions have changed.

The original activity can be accessed via the Digizen site and here's a Word doc you can print and use for this activity as well.

Has anyone else done something similar with their students?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Digital Citizenship

Digital Citizenship

A group to support schools help their students, staff and whānau become digital citizens