Search

What do your students want to know about the Christchurch earthquake?

• Public
Started by Suzie Vesper 07 Aug 2012 2:16pm () Replies (4)

As Digi Advisors, one part of our work is to create additional resources to put into Digistore and we are currently working on a collection of resources around the topic of the Christchurch earthquake.  As part of this, we will be interviewing the education officer for GNS Science to create a video resource that would be suitable for primary school students (as they already have videos we can use that are suitable for secondary).  As part of this, we thought that students might have questions that we can put to him during the interview. These questions would need to focus on earth science such as the way the earth moved, liquefaction, and measuring and predicting earthquakes. If your students have some ideas, please reply to this post with their questions and they may be used during the filming of the video. Let us know if you want the student's first name and school included in the interview footage.

Replies

• Bruce Saunders (View all users posts) 17 Aug 2012 10:35am ()

Our activity at Riccarton High School may be of interest to you. We will be spending a couple of weeks in the CBD with our Yr 9 Contextual class. The project will be looking at icons in the CBD area ranging from the Avon River to the Cathedral, with the focus on the past, present and future. Although we will be looking at geo tech and engineering issues due to the quake, the earthquake will not be the focus just a part of the shaping of our future icons. You are welcome to come and have a look at the process or the results.

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 17 Aug 2012 8:13am ()

This is a great start - thanks Nathaniel.

• Nathaniel Louwrens (View all users posts) 14 Aug 2012 3:58pm ()

I know this isn't what you are asking for, but I thought I'd share this resource that was planned and helped put together by the Curriculum Leader of Science at Te Kura. I know she approached others about working on it (perhaps the Science Learning Hub?), but I don't really remember who. It's a Wikipedia resource to help complement the NCEA Level 1 Science standard: AS90955 Science 1.16 Investigate an astronomical or Earth science event.

Anyway, here is the link, and maybe some questions may come out of it (there is a questions link if you scroll down the page a little): http://wikieducator.org/Earthquake:_Christchurch_2011

Join this group to contribute to discussions.