Search

The best interactive whiteboards/projectors?

Started by Sam Hamilton 06 Aug 2012 12:58pm () Replies (17)

Kia Ora Tatau,

I am a Teacher at Matata Public School in the Eastern Bay of Plenty.  We are just beginning our e-learning journey are i am investigating how well interative whiteboards work in the classroom and what are the best projectors and software to get.  I was wondering if folks could pass on some of their knowledge in this area.  

Our school has very high ceilings and also as lots of trucks drive past the school there is a lot of shaking.  THis may cause trouble with collaboration of software.  So i have been thinking of 'short-throw' projectors.  Can anybody tell me much about these? are these a projectors to use?  

Also, in terms of making our whiteboards interative what hardware/software would people recommend?  I have heard schools use different things for different year groups.  Is there a difference in what they can do for different year groups?

This is my first post on here and any help would be hugely appreciated.  i am sure there are lots of questions i have failed to ask but this is just a start:o)

Thanks vary much,

Sam Hamilton

Replies

• Nathaniel Louwrens (View all users posts) 06 Aug 2012 1:16pm ()

Hi Sam

I can't tell you a lot about interactive whiteboards and what is best etc, however I can tell you what my own kids' school has done (of which I am on the BOT). They started down this track last year and are hoping to buy some more this year - they decided to buy interactive projectors. Rather than paying for an expensive interactive whiteboard as well as data projectors, these projectors do everything themselves using whatever board you have already. I believe they are short-throw projectors. (Sorry I cannot remember the brand, but if you want to know, I will find out for you). I believe they cost around about $3000 each including installation and training (although I think this can be a negotiable expense) - we put in three last year.

Cheers
    Nathaniel 

• Nathaniel Louwrens (View all users posts) 06 Aug 2012 1:19pm ()

I just remembered I had an email about them.

They are Panasonic projectors PT-TW231REA

Hope that is helpful.

Cheers
    Nathaniel 

• Nathaniel Louwrens (View all users posts) 22 Aug 2012 1:43pm ()

Hi Sam. The projectors are Panasonic PT-TW231REA and yes they are interactive.

I don't know anything about the software unfortunately as I don't use them (I'm only on the BOT at that school). I can put you in touch with someone there that is using them though if you would like.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.