Search

The best interactive whiteboards/projectors?

Started by Sam Hamilton 06 Aug 2012 12:58pm () Replies (17)

Kia Ora Tatau,

I am a Teacher at Matata Public School in the Eastern Bay of Plenty.  We are just beginning our e-learning journey are i am investigating how well interative whiteboards work in the classroom and what are the best projectors and software to get.  I was wondering if folks could pass on some of their knowledge in this area.  

Our school has very high ceilings and also as lots of trucks drive past the school there is a lot of shaking.  THis may cause trouble with collaboration of software.  So i have been thinking of 'short-throw' projectors.  Can anybody tell me much about these? are these a projectors to use?  

Also, in terms of making our whiteboards interative what hardware/software would people recommend?  I have heard schools use different things for different year groups.  Is there a difference in what they can do for different year groups?

This is my first post on here and any help would be hugely appreciated.  i am sure there are lots of questions i have failed to ask but this is just a start:o)

Thanks vary much,

Sam Hamilton

Replies

• iDave (View all users posts) 13 Oct 2012 2:48pm ()

Hi Sam - one thing not to forget is planning for PD (incl cost) with what ever tech you bring on.  I don't mean how 'to drive it' PD (yes some of that is needed) but pedagogy stuff which fits the school vision.  Often schools forget the actual cost of PD both in (maybe) facilitator time and time for the teachers to develop.  Teachers spending hours of their own time is a hidden cost.

Currently our school has Smartboards but interestingly enough some of the teachers are opting  for Apple TVs with a 60" TV ($1450) when it comes projector replacement. Don't forget to factor projector life/position and classroom light and  into the equation too.  The teachers are loving Airplay and the way that students can jump onto the screen with their Apple device. (The Apple TVs are connected via a network port to cut down wireless traffic)  We have on-sold some of the boards already. Incidentally the cost of ownership for the TVs is much lower. 

Happy to discuss our journey further with you if it would help.

Dave

• iDave (View all users posts) 14 Oct 2012 1:41pm ()

Hi Carol - a mix of junior and senior. We have them fixed to the wall - teachers choose where.  For some of our rooms it has solved issues with lighting.  60" seems to be a good size although this is smaller than a projector on a screen or the IWB.  Teachers with newer Macs love the airplay (no cables).  We trialed it in the staff room first.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.