Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Ruth Foulkes (View all users posts) 25 Oct 2012 9:58pm ()

How refreshing to read of others in a similar place to me. I feel less of a dinosaur and now excited by the prospect of change and a tool to help focus and channel us. It is very easy to use remoteness and small school syndrome and lack of funds and poor internet access as an excuse but for me that is just what it is, an excuse and not a very good one. It is certainly made me feel less hopeless about our situation which I now realise is not as dire as I first thought, and having looked at the framework it certainly has helped me pinpoint my own focus and that from a leadership point of view. For us it is essential that we have a clear vision and one that is collaboratively achieved. Again as with many of you this is timely for us as we revisit our vision, think about our changing needs, and look to the future of our students. We certainly have some un tapped resources and skills within the school and an ever increasing knowledge of available resources at our fingertips. Like you Annette, we too did the ICT contract and have since lost the drive or momentum. The framework looks to me at first glance to be user friendly and is now a priority for discussion with the principal and staff. We have come a long way this year I am looking forward to covering lots more ground next year. Thank you to the team who developed the framework and to members posting here, it is encouraging and valuable as well as exciting.

• Ruth Foulkes (View all users posts) 31 Oct 2012 10:30pm ()

Our school, like many I am sure, show a history of surges of enthusiasm where by an enthusiastic or knowledgeable member of staff has a strong influence on tools and technologies acquired, sets the wheels in motion and then moves on without developing the enthusiasm and knowledge in others. This has clearly happened in waves with different influences and different tastes! It is our job as effective leaders to do an effective audit of what we have, what we think we need why we think we need it, what the students think they need and why. This audit should include leadership capabilities, technical support, teacher capability, student capability etc. as well as the tools, hardware and infrastructure. It must be needs and learning driven appropriate to our school and community at this point in time and with a view to the future. It must be a clear, self-sustaining and constantly reviewed system of which there is common ownership and shared responsibility so we have consistency and continuity and a longer term plan and view. I can see how the framework will help to guide us to plan our audit and map out our next steps. As was said above, you need everyone on board, that buy in and sense of ownership can never be underestimated, and as staff change so we ensure that the old and new staff walk side by side. I think for us our starting point must be a discussion about the framework and then hopefully our team will on reflection, see, that our situation is not quite as dire as first thought...the important thing will be to bring us all to a common view of where we are. It is interesting that whilst I felt we must surely be Pre emerging others felt we were extending. It is exciting to be able to plan some early conversations and an audit based on the framework... rather than, "to apple or not to apple?" that is the question, or maybe we should do both. Definitely a focus for next year with the realisation that, "Rome was not built in a day".

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.