Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Zac Anderson (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 5:51pm ()

I agree with the comments from Simon...

As others have said, there are financial and accessibility constraints to deal with. I have been in our College for six months; it is a decile 2, semi-isolated school, 7-13. Less than 40% of our homes have computers (data 2011), there are 12 computers in the local library, but we do have two 'computer suites' in the College which are over-used. There is one 'COW' for 6 Year 7/8 home rooms, as well as small ‘pods’ of desktops around the classrooms. Our non-teaching IT guy is excellent, but not always on our site. The network seems to be OK, but there's no designated teacher in charge of overall school ICT use, let alone a senior leader charged with the task of implementing investigations and presenting innovative thinking around how e-learning may look in the future for our students. That being said, the amount of times I deal with issues that stem from Facebook bullying and harassment makes me wonder that indeed their phones can be utilised in other ways! But let's not use that as an excuse. I am keen to take this framework to our next SLT meeting to discuss how we might simply move from 'pre-emerging' to analysis of how we might fit into the 'emerging' category. One step at a time – many thanks for the inspirational tool!

• Zac Anderson (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 7:40am ()

Agreed - the term digital citizenship is one we're trying to develop for our students, yet as has been stated, we grew up in an educational system that didn't teach us the meaning of this. I feel some good old traditional PD is required... what is digital citizenship?  How does it already look, feel and sound like at our College?  Is that enough?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.