Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Louise Broad (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 9:36pm ()

I have come to the discussion at a late stage. We are currently at an emergent level in our school investigating, consulting and planning for our future upgrade to wireless and upgrading of our hardware.The e learning framework has provided us with an excellent planning/self -review tool from which to view our tasks and in many ways keep us on track and focused. Annemarie your comments remind me of the process of applying for assistive technology and how we must keep our focus upon what we want from a tool rather than wanting a specific tool (ie i pads).  Getting the right match is crucial. How we enhance the teaching and learning at the heart of our decisions. There are benefits from not being first to move to BYOD. We have been fortunate that during the last term our ICT director and some curriculum managers have visited several schools that have already launched in to BYOD so we have been able to pick their brains and also learn from their mistakes   and challenges that have arisen, these visits have assisted us greatly.

• Louise Broad (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 10:52am ()

Kia ora Megan

Some of the concerns our team raised were around the following

• Devices that do not play flash. Many of the educational interactive sites are flash based so our tool needs to be able to access these.
    • I pads have their limitations, no USB, everything going through I tunes and the purchasing of apps and associated costs. Some schools have invested heavily in I pads.
    • Some schools visited had just “jumped on board” with one form of tablet. We wanted to know how is this technology really being used and what added benefit was identifiable. The answers to this was variable.
    • Having open internet access-while it is nice to think that we can train all of our pupils to be responsible in its use, some aren’t and won’t be. As the AP I am increasingly being involved in sorting out issues from the misuse of technology even though we have clear guidelines.
    • What are the repercussions for limiting access? Are there human rights issues?
    • The ICT director is only there to provide access to find these resources and not to locate the resources-a team approach is needed to develop the tool round curriculum leaders and staff.

We continue our journey along the road map.In recent discussions with our ICT director he made the following comment “We seek to find a tablet open enough to do what we want, use it how we want and not be dictated to by the tool”

On a wider issue in order for staff to embrace social media with confidence TTC is now providing guidance for teachers around ethical dilemmas re its use. So part of the eLPF must address this with staff if as TTC say,

“Teachers are entrusted with the care and education of learners. Teachers who model good social media use will grow learners who apply positive, respectful values in their interactions on social media platforms. These skills will equip them for life beyond school in an increasingly digital world.”

“Teachers have a professional obligation to develop and maintain professional relationships with learners based on the best interests of those learners. A teacher who is both aware of social media and a competent and confident user will be a role model for their learners and encourage them to become good digital citizens.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.