Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Andrew Wooster (View all users posts) 09 Nov 2012 3:37pm ()

I agree with most of what has been posted.  The framework is a great staring point and for a lot of schools will help them formulate their own.  Great for getting those important discussions going.  Being in a rural school with some old fashioned attitudes, IT in the classroom is not well supported by the community, however, we have had much success with our parent evenings demonstrating e-learning in action.  We are finding parents are allowing their children to use the net at home now!!!!!  We need to break down these types of barriers before we can think about BYOD and e-portfolio’s etc. 

• Andrew Wooster (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 10:04am ()

Hi Alice. You have touch on a couple of key issues that need addressing.  Our low decile schools will continue to struggle with BYOD and e-learning capabilities due to funding.  These students will continue to be disadvantaged as time goes on.  The gap between rich and poor will continue to grow (as forecast in the early eighties).  Hopefully DOT COM will all come to our rescue??

Anyway, we have had a growing number of people becoming disenfranchised by the whole process and I hope that these issues will be addressed sooner rather than later. Maybe a change of government will get the ball rolling? We need identify and give support to those that pretend they don’t need it and quick. Thanks for your post.

• Andrew Wooster (View all users posts) 26 Nov 2013 7:58am ()

What has really helped me on my eLearning journey is having something concrete that I can use in the classroom. Before I get to that I think it's about time we take the 'e' away from in front of the learning. It implies that it's all about technology which it is not.  Taking the 'e' away is not an original thought I know but it being there can confuse community. What does the 'e' stand for?

Concrete - Learn, Create, Share is a model not to dissimilar to inquiry learning where the students learns something then creates the learning and then sharing with a wider audience. It is the creating and sharing part that creates the thoughts and ideas behind what technologies might be best to deliver this. Sometimes it may not take any technology such as making the classic paper mache volcano with exploding baking soda and vinegar. The learning is all about plates moving under the earth’s surface etc so creating that is the model and sharing that is a display in science fair or class presentation.  The students have the opportunity to share this anyway they like however and may choose to make a video, produce music or lessons etc. Point England School has some wonderful examples of this.

Getting back to eLearning journey. The principal has a vital part to play and ensuring the team are committed to the eLearning plan.  The principal must provide for future proofing and sustainability of the plan.  The principal must provide the infrastructure in the school to enable the learning to take place.  Any plan, new concepts, curriculum, assessment changes etc is best down from the ground up and let’s not forget to include the community.

I still like the buy technology, test it, and evaluate approach too ;) I like the following statement from the Manaiakalani web site:

"At home in the Digital World"

To create lifelong literate learners who are confident and connected anytime, anywhere, any pace; ready for employment in tomorrow’s market and contributing positively to their community.

Preparing learners for tomorrow is vital and we need to keep changing, developing practise to enable effective, authentic learning to take place.  It would help also to actively employ 35-50% beginning teachers for your staff.  Surround yourself with people that are motivated and get involved with online discussion groups.  That’s my ramble for today.

http://www.manaiakalani.org/school-projects

https://twitter.com/KeepEducating

/groups/profile/799123/men-in-primary-teaching

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.