Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Keith Scroggins (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2012 6:51pm ()

I think the ELPF is a valuable tool and can provide valuable insight into exactly how the school is geared for e learning. I am thinking in relationship to my school where we have the usual staff who are capable and knowledgeable down to those who struggle with a mouse. I think it is vital to establish where we are and will be looking at using this tool to ascertain the needs of the school in the near future. I heard a comment last week at an   e-learning workshop where the speaker used the phrase " don't waste your time watering the rocks in the garden water the blooms instead". Those staff who are reluctant to change or put up barriers are the rocks in the garden - they will always be rocks and rocks don't grow. Go with those who are willing to try new technologies but start small. In our case the focus needs to be on going wireless also but making sure the infrastructure is there to accomodate the more users this would encourage. Also if wireless printing is occuring there needs to be a good managed system in place. I like the idea of bring your own devices  but in our case I think purchasing or leasing i pads and trialling with one class over a year/ term is the way to go. I think if you have them on a book out basis (cow) there would not be enough quality usage. We are a low decile school and wonder what issues would arise if we introduced "bring your own" devices. Thinking mainly of those that have and those that haven't.  

• Keith Scroggins (View all users posts) 07 Nov 2012 7:00pm ()

Hi Peter

I think your right in encouraging the bringing of BYOD rather than demanding it happen as there always going to be those that are unable to because of various factors. There would be a limit to what a school could supply if it was expected that every student have a device.

The possibilities are endless in the digital age and maybe the Ministry need to be more proactive in making funding available for schools to get on board with wireless technology. Our school was quoted some ridiculous amounts to have managed wireless systems which appears to be needed to avoid conflict situations with the technology.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.