Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Gael Ashworth (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 7:19pm ()

Hi Deb,

I totally agree with your point regarding equity. It is critical that we don't exclude students from accessing learning beause they aren't able to purchase a device. I know that some schools reccommend studets purchase netbooks as opposed to laptops as they are much cheaper (around $500). I'm not sure how plausible it would be for a school to set up an APscheme for students who would find it sifficult to finance this purchase. I suppose you could also explore setting up a relationship with the tech company so that you reccommend their product to be purchased to all students and get a discount as a fsort of finders fee.

We are a decile 8 school but there is enormous diversity with many students who don't have computer access at home or whose families would find it difficult to purchase a device. We use technology a lot with students collaborating through google docs and also using it to create and present assignments. We do have a couple of computer labs but these are mainly taken up with students studying digital technologies and programmes such as Travel and Tourism. I think we have to be flexible in the technology that we have available for students to use as different devices have different strengths eg tablets are good for presenting information whereas laptops and smartphones are useful in researching information. This would give a range of possibilities if students were working together in a group. 

We have several COWS (Computers on Wheels) which are bookable and are flexible enough to be transported to different classrooms and can be used within a classroom, lab or outside which stops students being tied to a computer lab. We also have these available to students in a homework club which runs four afternoons a week until 5.00pm (supervised by a teacher from a different learning area each night). This provides some access for students who may have difficulty accessing computers at home.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.