Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Kate Campion (View all users posts) 06 Sep 2012 10:01am ()

I missed it unfortunately even though I registered. Am I able to fulfill the requirements for NAPP by listening to the recording etc as the 31st of October doesn't work for me?

• Kate Campion (View all users posts) 10 Sep 2012 8:50am ()

Hi Jo, I listened to the webinar on Saturday and I think I am all good- it was great listening to the recording - just like being there Cool

• Kate Campion (View all users posts) 13 Sep 2012 3:29pm ()

I had great fun listening to and watching the recording of the webinar. I took some key notes  from it, have looked at the framework itself and the postings and related docs / links afterwards. I’ll try to think of something orginal-ish...Foot in Mouth

One key point from the webinar for me was (and apologies if I got the words wrong):

• You can have a number of initiatives running but if you don’t have “the line up”- if there isn’t an understanding that you have teaching and learning, professional learning, student outcomes, infrastructure, community- all in play and planned for- it is very hard to sustain.

So really before you even start there’s a lot of thinking to go on but the key is to use it not in and of itself but perhaps merge it into the “way we do things around here” whilst still being a change-maker.  I think many staff are wary of the sheer numbers of new initiatives as we seem to have an awful lot all the time. So see it as a way of supporting things that already exist. For example, a recent ERO report highlighted that the practice of teaching as inquiry has dropped in the most recent review. I believe that introducing the framework as a way of reinforcing the focus on teaching as inquiry (concurrently with the great practices suggested for staff meetings- unpacking and the survey etc) would be a nice way to bring prominence to both areas. Or take a target group like underachieving students that is already the focus of some work and look at how the use of e-Learning could dovetail with supporting their achievement.

Because e-Learning should be evident in appraisals, strategic plan, charter etc it would be good to use the framework’s suggestions to create or review these documents actually using technologies available (like My Portfolio as a place to collect evidence for goals and the RTC for appraisal). Get really familiar with its use in a variety of different ways so that you can model it at all areas of school life.

There’s  a wealth of information but in relation to my discussion, I think the link below provides a tonne of direction and support:

http://www.elearning.tki.org.nz/Professional-learning/e-Learning-Planning-Framework2/Principals-and-school-leaders/Leadership-and-strategic-direction

One of the most interesting things for me is despite all our focus on eLearning, with digital classes etc etc, I still think we could be described as a pre-emerging school in many areas. However it would be interesting to see how other staff thought, as suggested by someone in the webinar with the different perspectives that can be held by the principal, HODs, teachers, support staff and so on. Undecided

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.