Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Megan Gallagher (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 5:37pm ()

We are in the process of reviewing our whole organisation and looking at our digital strategy... this framework actually fits nicely in some of our conversations. The changing landscape in schools and the variety of stages and types of implementation means that what we do and offer needs to be really fluid. Planning ahead also needs to allow that scope... as an example, a couple of years back BYOD was a no-no, now that is not the case obviously. 

I agree that having a pedagogical base for using ICT is essential, especially in getting staff buy in. A few years ago I bought in a WIKI for our team to use as we are spread throughout the country... everyone agreed it was a good idea but uptake in use was painfully slow. I did an exercise at one stage, largely out of frustration, where I asked them to describe how they felt about WIKI as a tool... we got statements like scared, frustrated, excited, nervous etc. As we went through the conversation the lightbulb moment hit... this is what learning something new and strange can feel like for any learner. Through the open dialogue the uptake increased, albeit not as fast as I wanted but it did change and now is part of what we do. It was important that I slowed down and recognised the need for my team to have time to do small things first and see the benefit for them in their work... I am now applying this learning in the way I am introducing google docs- slowly engaging with the early adopters, seeing if it works for us and if so creating success stories then take it out to the group. 

We have been implementing new online systems requiring data input and with the ability to analyse information etc... as you state Alison skill sets are diverse and we are now looking at how we address this in our PLD programme for 2013. 

• Megan Gallagher (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 8:15am ()

Kia ora Sharyn 

What an interesting experience to start with a clean slate as it were in your new school... I imagine that this means a lot of wondering about what if and will this work at times. 

I love that you talk about staff having time to play and discover... this is what all learners need and will breed confidence. 

All the best with your planning going forward. 

• Megan Gallagher (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 8:28am ()

Kia ora Louise 

I am a late starter on this discussion too. When you talk about the benefits of not being first to move with BYOD, are you aware of any pitfalls that your ICT/curriculum leadership team have been able to avoid? Would be interesting to hear about that. 

I am also interested in where your school is at with BYOD Annemarie. This is an area that really fascinates me. I read in an earlier post that Jan wrote noting an opportunity to use this as an avenue to teach about responsible use of devices and actually challenge cyberbullying... this is a biggie for me. I am wondering if developing/reviewing policies and procedures around safe use of devices is a part of the process that is reviewed regularly? I guess it is part of developing the culture of how we do things around here. 

Heaps of food for thought, thank you all. 

• Megan Gallagher (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 1:52pm ()

Thanks for the quick response Louise... really interesting concerns that were raised- especially the human rights consideration around access, hadn't entered my mind at all. It was also interesting to read that you are dealing with more internet misuse issues in your role as AP. This seems to be an area of growing need for our children.

I had a wee chat with my 13 year old niece about her facebook page when it said she was in a relationship, was interested in men and had her cell phone number all open access as I wasn't a friend of hers at the time... she was just naive and had set it up with a friend and they were having a laugh! Just lack of knowledge really. I think as individuals we need to be mindful of our digital footprint and so that bit about modelling appropriate behaviour and being explicit about how we are using social media appropriately can only help our learners develop understandings.

A simple place to start perhaps... just asking if we were face to face with a person would we do or say the same things we do online as a discussion starter??? It's about appealing to a sense of citizenship perhaps, and some of those key values.

Just thoughts... off the topic I know!  

• Megan Gallagher (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 10:53pm ()

Thanks for the stats and challenges posed... the big questions... what does this exploration meant for you as a leader? 

-there is a framework to help us with dialogue- that there are many of us on the pathway and exploring so we are not alone, there are great places like here to get resources, ask questions and share practice- that e-learning is focussed on learning not tools and making sure all who are working along this with us remember that... making sure we don't get carried away with the toys :) 

I love the reminders about the importance of working with people as they develop competence and confidence... I have already shared some thoughts with my colleagues who occasionally get frustrated with some members of our team that are struggling with a new online system we are using... reminding them of the learning process and that our educators are learners too... 

What might I do differently? 
    - stay positive - get involved in our digital strategy discussions - keep playing and be patient for those who are not ready to play yet - have more learning conversations where I talk MUCH less and listen MUCH more - keep my sense of humour and keep championing the need to respect all learners and the processes they need to go through. We are reviewing our training programme and as I am leading this I am keen to look at online tools that may help us communicate and learn and connect to improve our ongoign training processes, then start with our newest employees. Working with a smaller group of interested educators to develop this strategy will be important and shared leadership is an area that I know I really need to do better with. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.