Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Geoff Childs (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2012 10:25am ()

You are right Richard. The framework is a useful tool for planning and and supporting implementation and the self review cycle is useful at both a school wide level and at a syndicate/deparatment level. Your comment about integration of ICT into your TAI focus reflects a pragmatic approach that suggests you already have a good grasp of the place ICT needs to have in today's schools for today's lteachers and earners.  

2013 is getting well into the second decade of the 21st century and I wonder when we will no longer need to refer to 21st century learners like they haven't yet arrived??

• Geoff Childs (View all users posts) 08 Nov 2012 1:58pm ()

I like the analogy Michelle. It is great to see so many schools taking advantage of the resource and I guess this is another example of how e-resources can save time and money for schools. Imagine if each school had to try and develop their own set of matrices in isolation.

I also think the shared discussions can help individuals and schools come to better decisions about where they are at, where they would like to be and strategies for closing the gap that have fewer unintended negative outcomes than if they had just gone ahead without the collaboration reflected here.

• Geoff Childs (View all users posts) 08 Nov 2012 4:37pm ()

We are in a tricky situation as we have a change of principal from next year. This has meant that a number of things are on hold until he arrives, one of them being the strategic plan. As it stated in the discussion, the e-learning framework needs to be a whole school, data driven decision not top down, after the strategic plan is developed.

At the moment we are looking into BYOD, teacher dashboard and a number of other initiatives, none of which are particularly cohesively drawn together – what is happening in pockets around the school is great and exciting, but not based on any comprehensive inquiry into what we need, where we are now, where do we want to be.. And I have a concern that the stuff that is happening is focused on the tool rather than the pedagogy.

So we are a little in limbo, but also have great things happening. We could place ourselves somewhere between all 3 categories of trialling different approaches, integrating into teaching and learning and refining and innovating ideas – depending on which department and which teachers were looked at.

But a new principal will allow for a fresh look to be taken into e-learning and I can see how the framework will fit well into this.

Helen Benson

• Geoff Childs (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 8:32am ()

It has been interesting following successes, learning curves, and future focus points. I related to the term ‘using ICT for effective learning’. I believe this is crucial to a worthy e-learning vision, and important for the leadership of a school. Having an attitude such as BYOD – everyone’s doing it so we need to get a move on, or it will help motivate students in the class are weak reasons to drive change and a direction using ICT within a school.

Why do we wish to foster e-learning? What benefits do we need to share with staff, learners, and our community around e-learning? What realistically do we know? What will we just need to be taking a ‘calculated’ risk with? How do we cast our vision, consult with the community? How can this enhance cultural responsiveness?

Many key ideas have already been shared including around teacher pedagogy, infrastructure, partnerships, consultation, resourcing, budgets!!

I liked the definition of digital citizenship and saw this nicely linking to a vision that would enhance education in NZ schools.

Liz Quickfall

• Geoff Childs (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 7:51pm ()

Catriona Mathieson

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Firstly, I would just to like to say how much I enjoyed the webinar.  Having never participated in one before I was a little nervous however, the instructions for logging on were so clear and straight forward that the whole process turned out to be very easy.  The information presented was incredibly useful and the “chat” comments made by participants really added an extra dimension.  My only problem was my comments would not load – so I was obviously doing something wrong! 

In regard to looking at how I would use the framework at my current school I thought the points made during the webinar summed it up:

• Gather data
    • Scope possible futures
    • Promote professional conversations and a shared language
    • Ensure focus and alignment
    • Tailor support
    • Evaluate effectiveness

We need to do this school wide.  At present we are well resourced but poorly planned in regard to a cohesive use of ICT in the classrooms.  Using the framework should provide a platform that the school can build directly from.

The framework is a great tool.  Being honest and realistic when reviewing with it will be very important.

Posted by Catriona Mathieson

• Geoff Childs (View all users posts) 20 Nov 2012 3:53pm ()

An interesting link to an article that looks at soending on ICT in UK schools and the impact, or lack of, that it has had in rising learning and student acheivement.

http://www.edexec.co.uk/news/2217/school-technology-overspend/

It covers many of the ponts made in the discussions in Korero 16. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.