Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Sharyn Afu (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 11:15pm ()

Sharyn Afu- Korero 16 e- learning

We are currently in the emergent/emerging stage.  We are a new school opening next year, we are currently been fitted as a wireless school.  We are currently spending time upskilling ourselves and sharing new IT tools, ideas as we head towards the opening.  Sharing and talking about great apps to use, considering the use of such things as twitter and Facebook, and making a number of decisions based on our discussions with each other, others comments uses have made, other schools etc.

We made sure that the new staff we appointed had a degree of skill and were comfortable using a number of technologies.  This is largely due to the fact that we will be a BYOD school from Years 1 – 8.  The e-framework is going to be helpful for us in a number of areas, which we are grateful for.  Like you we have visited a number of schools including some in Melbourne who are BYOD schools and I feel more comfortable with this now.  We will also provide enough tools for those that don’t wish or can’t afford to purchase devices. 

It is essential for us that parents and caregivers be fully involved in the process and our school as none of them would have learnt in a BYOD school.  This will be cause for PD and running workshops that they can opt into to upskill themselves.  Some whole family sessions of learning and sharing and upskilling will be done too.  I believe the more open you are with parents and the more they see what a school is trying to do, the better off we will be.

I think it is like the journey of Inquiry should we use solo?  should we not?  Should we use Michael Pohl's theory or someone elses?  Should we do personalised inquiry, passion project whole class inquiry what?  I feel IT is the same lots of unknowns but like everything we need time to play, time to discover and time to learn alongside students, staff and family.  

Making sure that plenty of time is given to staff sharing, talking and receiving and doing PD as applicable is a great way forward too.  

Over the next few days we will use the plan to really take stock of what we are doing.

• Chris THEOBALD (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 11:01pm ()

Kia ora tatou,

i have also joined this Korero very late in the piece, but have ahad a skim through many of the posts and have been interested (but unsurprised) to see the variance with which schools are at on their learning journey through IT E learning integration.

Our school is looking at our strategic plan at the moment and i personally (1/2 of our mgmnt team) havent had a look at the eLPF at all. Which is a huge issue - this seems to be an excellent resourse and maybe it isnt the exact forum here to discuss, but how should Principals and school management keep on top of everything that is going on while still being in touch with their staff, students, currciulum, accounts, community, etc... The list goes on. And for the schools who have not prioritised elearning, or who have simply shelved the emails and correspondence about the eLPF, what are the monitoring mechanisms to ensure that schools and students are getting access to the reosources that are out there? I know ERO may look for the eLPF or some variation within a school, but it would also be good to have an audit process of some sort to make sure that principals and schools and utilising the expertise that is contained within such sites as the elearning leadership community.

Back on topic now - The aspects of the framework that look positive for me an dour school currently

1. Knowing the eLPF exists. a great start
    2. Integrating all components from, staff PD, to community relationships etc, integrating e learning throughout these aspects of school life is central to success in my belief.
    3. I find the Emerging, Engaging, Extending, Empowering process great in that the pdf provides a pathway - what are we  doing this for - what is the end game? I found it interesting to see where i may be sitting within a few elements now and where i could be aiming. Often i found myself in the engaging phase and thought that was enough, however with the elpf i can progress.
    Hopefully this has been of some interest to someone / anyone still reading the post thread. 
    Thanks to those who have worked on this resource, i hope to be able to use it in real life context at some stage in the near future.

Nga mihi

Chris Theobald

• Louise Broad (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 9:36pm ()

I have come to the discussion at a late stage. We are currently at an emergent level in our school investigating, consulting and planning for our future upgrade to wireless and upgrading of our hardware.The e learning framework has provided us with an excellent planning/self -review tool from which to view our tasks and in many ways keep us on track and focused. Annemarie your comments remind me of the process of applying for assistive technology and how we must keep our focus upon what we want from a tool rather than wanting a specific tool (ie i pads).  Getting the right match is crucial. How we enhance the teaching and learning at the heart of our decisions. There are benefits from not being first to move to BYOD. We have been fortunate that during the last term our ICT director and some curriculum managers have visited several schools that have already launched in to BYOD so we have been able to pick their brains and also learn from their mistakes   and challenges that have arisen, these visits have assisted us greatly.

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 9:04pm ()

My understanding from others is that they have had similar experiences - BYOD frees up school computers for others.  It's also amazing how many kids do have access to a device. 

Yet our intermediate school isn't doing BYOD yet for two reasons:

a)  That worry about equity, as we draw from a decile 9 school and a decile 3 school. Like I said - it may turn out to be a positive experience, but I’m yet to convince the principal.

b)  Our infrastructure.  This is WAY important. We have two laptop classes with 1:1 and our wireless network which was great with a handful of devices suddenly became inadequate when 30 devices all tried to be on one access point at once.  We are currently being “SNUP”ed  (School Network Upgrade Project) and I’m trialling new wireless devices which we’ll need to budget for next year: $5000 for a school with 275 students. Without these there is frustration.

Make sure you get help with your SNUP design if you know nothing.  I know a bit, but we’ve still found that in some areas we are getting the minimum.  I’ve opted to upgrade to gigabyte switches so that our access points have enough juice….two years ago I didn’t know any of this!

Elearning is my passion so I’m making sure I know as much as possible and connect as much as possible.  The VLN and twitter are MAGIC for this.

WEhat I’m finding with BYOD is that the kids are sneaking in the devices anyway…they are used to using them…so we need to catch up and develop infrastructure, policies, blended elearning ways of doing things and knowledge of digital citizenship and cybersafety.

The ELPF is a great place to start!

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 8:40pm ()

Make sure you start with the use rather than the tool; it worries me that you aren't familiar with these tools and what they can do.  There are lots of stories on the VLN and Twitter of schools that start with a tool not realising its limitations.

Is your IT expert a teacher? I hope so, otherwise he or she may not be cued into use. 

Are your teachers getting PD in integrating elearning? Otherwise your tools might gather dust or only be used for games and word processing.

If your BYODs are only accessing the internet and not the server, they won't bring in any viruses. There are examples of schools which are successfully integrating BYOD.  I suggest you talk to Stephen Lethbridge at Taupaki school, as one example.

• Tracey Gurney (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 8:40pm ()

Linda, I make a direct connection with you and your school!

My school is also decile 2, and our students are certainly not from families who have access to ICT's at home either.  Therefore,  we have the moral obligation to teach our kids as much as we can, from as young as we can, about a range of ICT's.

We had POD's at the back of classrooms which where shared between 2 rooms - great back in the day - but not any longer.  I personally have taken all my computers from the POD and bought them into the classroom, allowing us to use the space out back as a quiet, creative zone (kids had real ownership creating guidelines for the space's new use).  Staff are seeing the benefit of this and the learning conversations around ICT in the classroom has been fantastic!  So, we are in a phase of looking at how all the spaces can be redesignated with no cost.

Fortunately for my school, we have a new ICT leader this year who has "written off" a load of clunky old PC's and ICT gear around the school and although our ratio of student:computer is not as good at the moment, we are building up to a better ratio of quality gear.  Teachers have compromised this year knowing our 3 yr ICT plan will cater to the ever changing world of ICT.  We also have the shared value/belief that ICT devices need to be mobile, so with this, it is easy to integrate computers back into the classrooms instead of the POD concept.  Staff also need to have the belief that ICT in integrated into the programme to enhance learning, not a tool that they go into another room to use for a prescribed piece of work.

It is really easy to get hooked into the latest ICT fad, isn't it, but having a strategic plan around it's use makes decisions/purchases more meaningful.

What do you think?

• Tania Parekura (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 7:00pm ()

I have throughly enjoyed reading posts in this Korero and it best fits with my Inquiry.  This one has certainly been one that I have a lot of interest in.  It is very timely for me to get on top of what is happening as far as e-Learning and will really help our school strive forward to meet our strategic plan and goals for the future years.  The eLPF is fantastic and I have already shared many ideas with our Principal regarding our school direction in this area using the framework as guidance.  I really enjoyed the reading 'Rich ICT learning experiences: What do they look like? by Tessa Gray ' for me it helped provide a deeper understanding and will use a lot of this as a checklist for our future focus within our school.  I am excited by this!!!Wink

• Megan Gallagher (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 5:37pm ()

We are in the process of reviewing our whole organisation and looking at our digital strategy... this framework actually fits nicely in some of our conversations. The changing landscape in schools and the variety of stages and types of implementation means that what we do and offer needs to be really fluid. Planning ahead also needs to allow that scope... as an example, a couple of years back BYOD was a no-no, now that is not the case obviously. 

I agree that having a pedagogical base for using ICT is essential, especially in getting staff buy in. A few years ago I bought in a WIKI for our team to use as we are spread throughout the country... everyone agreed it was a good idea but uptake in use was painfully slow. I did an exercise at one stage, largely out of frustration, where I asked them to describe how they felt about WIKI as a tool... we got statements like scared, frustrated, excited, nervous etc. As we went through the conversation the lightbulb moment hit... this is what learning something new and strange can feel like for any learner. Through the open dialogue the uptake increased, albeit not as fast as I wanted but it did change and now is part of what we do. It was important that I slowed down and recognised the need for my team to have time to do small things first and see the benefit for them in their work... I am now applying this learning in the way I am introducing google docs- slowly engaging with the early adopters, seeing if it works for us and if so creating success stories then take it out to the group. 

We have been implementing new online systems requiring data input and with the ability to analyse information etc... as you state Alison skill sets are diverse and we are now looking at how we address this in our PLD programme for 2013. 

• Andrea Mertens (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 4:39pm ()

Hi

I watched the webinar recording and found it still very useful. I liked the fact that we were looking at using ICT to change pedagogy while actually doing it. The scope of webinar in itself and its place in the rubric is exciting. Webinar allows us to learn and intercact and  have interesting discussions on many different different levels such as polling, tweeting, co-leading, video links to name a few. Phew I am so glad to have experienced a webinar and learn about the eLPF.

• Robyn Malcolm (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 4:00pm ()

I agree that there are certainly equity issues in terms of BYOD type approaches to e-learning.  We are a decile 1 urban primary.  We are in the interesting position of being in an area where we are to receive a large amount of money as a grant for e-learning, which is really exciting, but BYOD (netbooks) is being talked about with families paying these off over a period of time.  Some of my concerns are around the safety of students walking home from school with their device each day.  I have thought that a better approach could be having the devices at school with a 'learning centre' open in the afternoon for students to use outside of school hours. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.