Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Nita Pond (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 10:31pm ()

I also think there is such a range of ICT abilities amongst staff and therefore willingness to utilise ICT in the classroom. I admit that within my subject I do not utilise ICT as well as I could and this would be due to access to computer suites and my willingness to use more ICT in my Dance classes. However if I was teaching Geography or Social Studies still I would be a lot more willing to use ICT. This is a perfect example of me putting barriers up and resisting to change. However I do believe that it is extremely important to utilise ICT and I am hoping that as a staff we will be making use of My Portfolio for our PD/appraisal like we are utilising more and more our ultranet. This would encourage staff, including myself to get more computer literate.

Utilising ICT can also help build relationships too as it all too often gives students an opportunity to teach, lead both their peers and the teacher - is this something to be afraid of? NO!

• Robyn Malcolm (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 9:57pm ()

I really enjoyed watching the webinar too.  I will admit to being a little scared by the framework initally but now feel excited about the opportunities to work with staff to unpack this further in my school in 2013. 

I had felt that we were way behind other schools with e-learning so it has been refreshing to hear that we are not alone on our journey!!  I plan on putting together a team of teachers to work with in 2013 to develop our strategic plan for elearning, this tool will be invaluable as we work through the process. 

I am looking forward to having a good look at all the other resources that were shared. 

• nick julian (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 9:53pm ()

Kia ora tatou

Our school has been on, what seems a very long journey of e-learning. From having minimal ICT 6 years ago, to slowly developing the number of classroom computers, planning and assessment completed on line, starting blogs, using the school website more frequently, introducing wireless, data-projectors, cameras and video cameras and finally this year having - over half the classes with Interactive Whiteboards, 20 COWS, classroom laptops, wireless over the entire school and hopefully faster broadband throughout the school by early next year.

So the infrastructure is now much better. Numerous lessons were learnt along the way.

1. What ICT tools did we need?

2. How did we want to use them?

3. Where was the money going to come from?

4. Did we need to change the infrastructure within the school?

5. Where did we consider the biggest priority within the school?

6. What was the current capability on staff?

7. What PD needed to be put in place for teachers?

8. How are teachers going to use e-learning to support, engage and empower learning

It is interested to read about the E-learning framework and the many aspects schools should be looking into and developing. I think e-learning beyond the classroom and how we use e-learning within the community is an aspect that is important.

Opening the world to students to plan and develop their learning pathways- accessing information from Skype, blogs, and goggle apps- is an important step towards becoming lifelong learners. Being able to bring parents and whanau into the students learning, to support, show an interest and learn themselves, can enrich the process. It can also give the parents and whanau an opportunity to understand learning steps and pathways of students on a regular basis. 

Having buy-in from staff is very important, also having a supportive environment, where sharing and dialogue is encouraged helps growing the professional capabilities of the staff. We are probably at the initial phase of the framework- it is important work out how best cater to the learning needs of the students and improve student achievement through the technology.

• Ingrid Frengley-Vaipuna (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 9:47pm ()

Good on the Whanganui district Council South Taranaki is just next door and I hope they get the hint! We're a decile1 rural Area School and equity issues permeate every aspect of our students' lives in and out of school. I sometimes wonder if our best hope is that Kim dotcom does get billions out of the US Govt. and provides allof NZ with free uncapped internet access...in the meantime we have a young teacher who's going in with guns ablazing checking out COWs and ensuring wireless is throughout the school. However, I think his enthusiasm needs to be tempered with a good look at the e-learning planning framework which will widen the scope and include a lot more of us in the decision making. I got  really excited having a read of it and the associated documents as I realised that we don't have to come up with a completely original plan. The e-lpf is comprehensive, based on sound research and written by people with enthusiasm AND expertise!! The planning framework gives coherence and vision to 20th century learning. It might still be a difficult and slow process but I'm sure now, decile whatever, it's possible to realise the vision for Maori students to walk confidently in the world as global citizens. I can't wait to really have a good look into the e-learning TKI site ...wasn't Karen Melhuish's intro clear and inviting!?

• David Grant (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 9:17pm ()

what does this exploring of e-learning mean for you as leaders? What have you learned - and what might you do differently next year?

Exploring elearning for me means the ability to keep things in perspective. Because elearning and ICT is limitless, as leaders we have to be really focused on our school's vision and be able to pick teams of teachers, equipment and systems that lead us along the most appropriate paths ( I don't think there is a single correct path for any school) . We have to know where we are on the paths and this is where the framework becomes essential. We also have to be able to change the direction of the path at times. We must use the framewok to keep focused on the learning outcomes and achievement  targets we set.

What I think I will do differently next year is ask this question  of staff "Where are we on the framework and is where we are taking us in the vision of the school and student achievment targets?"

• Trevor Proctor (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 8:03pm ()

It's always good to have a plan and the e learning plan certainly has apects of it that seem great. However, it is just a plan and it needs to be driven from each school and hopefully in clusters of schools that can cache their respective knowledge to build an ongoing scheme of work, building digital knowledge and use throughout the school, from children through to leadership. I would think the place to start would be those interested in IT and along with all learning, it needs to be driven at a pace that energises all learners. I am reminded of the ACOT programme brought in by Apple about 15 years ago, similar although less detailed system. With that, I believe it was found that after 3 years on the ICT projects, people actually moved one level from say engaging to extending, or emerging to engaging. My staff have just been on an IT course today and there were teachers there that didnt know how to switch on an ipad - that about sums it up really!

• Teresa Burn (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 7:53pm ()

Hi Zac,

Throughout the posts there is a lot of comment made about "ICT poeple" as knowledgeable people about hardware /software and very little comment about experts in digital citizenship.  This definitely redressing in our school and I suspect many others.

• Teresa Burn (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 7:50pm ()

There is a lot of tension around the amount of investment that schools require to have good e-learning happening - financial in terms of hardware / software and human resources and PD.

The framework puts learning at the centre and allows schools to make discerning choices about the way forward.  It does not provide answers but guides decision making. 

We have been trialing BYOD at school - as well as some small trials using goodle docs / twitter and ipads.  The framework is great for planning the way forward - but there is also still a place for just getting in there and trying things out.  We are trying to balance the two.

• Zac Anderson (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 5:51pm ()

I agree with the comments from Simon...

As others have said, there are financial and accessibility constraints to deal with. I have been in our College for six months; it is a decile 2, semi-isolated school, 7-13. Less than 40% of our homes have computers (data 2011), there are 12 computers in the local library, but we do have two 'computer suites' in the College which are over-used. There is one 'COW' for 6 Year 7/8 home rooms, as well as small ‘pods’ of desktops around the classrooms. Our non-teaching IT guy is excellent, but not always on our site. The network seems to be OK, but there's no designated teacher in charge of overall school ICT use, let alone a senior leader charged with the task of implementing investigations and presenting innovative thinking around how e-learning may look in the future for our students. That being said, the amount of times I deal with issues that stem from Facebook bullying and harassment makes me wonder that indeed their phones can be utilised in other ways! But let's not use that as an excuse. I am keen to take this framework to our next SLT meeting to discuss how we might simply move from 'pre-emerging' to analysis of how we might fit into the 'emerging' category. One step at a time – many thanks for the inspirational tool!

• Aina Masin (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 4:26pm ()

Our school is currently finding new and innovative ways of implementing e-learning into our programmes and this framework definitely helps grow the e-learning capability of our learning community.  

We have had an opportunity to work with a group, Computer in Homes.  Now this partnership has helped our school to upskill our students parents giving them the skills when using ict, empowering them, their confidence and their ability to take ownership with their learning.  

What I do like about the Leadership and strategic direction table, it clearly outlines the schools vision where e-learning is integrated and I think that if school were to use this table to create, change and have 'authorship' aligning this with their own schools e - learning direction then 'ownership' of the initiative would be one that is shared.  

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.