Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Geoff Childs (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 8:32am ()

It has been interesting following successes, learning curves, and future focus points. I related to the term ‘using ICT for effective learning’. I believe this is crucial to a worthy e-learning vision, and important for the leadership of a school. Having an attitude such as BYOD – everyone’s doing it so we need to get a move on, or it will help motivate students in the class are weak reasons to drive change and a direction using ICT within a school.

Why do we wish to foster e-learning? What benefits do we need to share with staff, learners, and our community around e-learning? What realistically do we know? What will we just need to be taking a ‘calculated’ risk with? How do we cast our vision, consult with the community? How can this enhance cultural responsiveness?

Many key ideas have already been shared including around teacher pedagogy, infrastructure, partnerships, consultation, resourcing, budgets!!

I liked the definition of digital citizenship and saw this nicely linking to a vision that would enhance education in NZ schools.

Liz Quickfall

• Ross McCartney (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 6:18am ()

I am also teaching in a Decile 2 school. The interesting thing that I notice is that many of the students actually do have the latest technology and devices. The consumer choices that families are making appear to be unbalanced towards gadgets like iPads for their teenagers but there never seems to be money for uniform, stationery or healthy food. The limited acces to the internet at home is a definite issue that needs to be addressed if equity of opportunities regarding 21st century learning is to be achieved.

• Kerry Jenner (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 10:28pm ()

I'm very interested in the BYOD debate. There are the obvious pros and cons - and the fears around the cons. I'd love to read notes from folk working in schools wioth BYOD to leanr more from how and what you have experienced. It seems an inevitable move - rather a matter of when for secondary schools and maybe others as well. 

• Kerry Jenner (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 10:21pm ()

HI David. For certain there are now a few generations who have used e-learning at uni, and had decades of computer use (what was that boxy Apple our kids played Sonic the Hedgehog on? and a prize for the parents who can still hum the tune...) and I'm pleased to see recognition of e-learning out of the education setting as well. It feels a bit like a lead group in a race - each one spurring the others to go even faster as so many groups in the community upskill over and over to cope with the ITC advancement in their own fields. 

I beleive that the leader no more has to lead by expert knowledge in this field as any other. However, she/he does have to lead by being open minded, allowing expertsand real enthusiasts to carry responsibility - while actively supporting in terms of finance, as well as voice. Staff need to expereince the principal opening the door for these people to lead the rest through. 

• Esther Allen (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 10:10pm ()

It was an experience to participate in the ‘Enabling e-Learning/NAPP webinar’, listening to the discussions, contributing in the chat section and gaining a clearer understanding of how e-learning should look in a school.  In terms of engaging with whānau and iwi, I can see e-learning utilised as a tool in schools to enrich learning areas of being bi-lingual, bicultural and bi-literate e-Learning. Networking with whānau and iwi through e-learning provides the opportunities of ‘kanohi ki te kanohi’ (virtual face-to-face). All current innovated features of e-learning are only effective if they are properly utilised. The eLPF is a tool to develop and guide teachers on their journey of becoming confident in the e-learning environment. 

• Esther Allen (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 10:08pm ()

In my role as a professional practitioner, a question asked when collecting baseline data in schools was included in the scoping tool as: "Tell me how e-learning environments are utilised to enhance ākonga (student) engagement”. Some responses were limited to surface knowledge around e-learning, rather at the ‘Emerging Stage’ as referred to in the the e-Learning Planning Framework. I can see that the eLPF will be valuable to work with schools to develop their strategic plan process for e learning. Schools will be able to position themselves on the five strands as to how advanced they are in some areas or beginning to emerge in others. The most important thing is getting the ‘buy in’ from staff to see how e-learning can be utilised to enhance student learning and achievement.

• Michelle Picard (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 10:04pm ()

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

As with many schools around the country at present we have just completed the UFB and SNUP process and are looking into establishing BYOD for our Year 5 & 6 students in 2013. Having acknowledged the importance of our next step which is the development of an ICT Strategy I can see the e-learning framework being a very important and essential tool to support us through this process.

I like the structure of the e-learning planning template, which identifies self-review as an essential tool in gaining an understanding of where the school and the teachers sit in relation to e-learning. The shift in focus from Technology driving decisions to Curriculum Learning Needs driving decisions is a powerful one and supports our schools to be future focused and to purposefully plan the implementation of e-learning rather than being caught up in a cycle of wanting to purchase and have the next big thing in technology!

Having the exemplars to show what the strands, the five dimensions would look like in a school setting, provides an opportunity to do a stock take of where the school and teachers are at and  what the next step might look like.

I like the message of the four phases that schools and teachers move through as they engage in e-learning. The emphasis appears to be on building capabilities and collaboration; both within a school and within a cluster.

Being more digitally aware and active means much more than just adding technology to what we currently do, technology provides us with an opportunity to examine our practice and to change the way we teach and how we interact with our students. I see this as a very exciting period in education and I hope that we are all up for the challenge.

• Roxy Hickman (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 9:47pm ()

I am delighted to see the movement from “developing teacher capability” to the focus on impacting student learning when referring to e-learning. At the beginning of our ICTPD contract there was quite a focus on teaching the teachers HOW to use the technology and HOW to feel confident when using ICT with students. There was focus on WHAT technology and tools they would use for their ICT lesson.

Now with the influence of the e-learning planning framework, staff are able to reflect on WHY they are implementing specific tools and technologies to benefit their students learning.

One ongoing lesson for our cluster has been the dimension: Leadership of e-learning. The key to the indicator statements is having a Principal that ensures e-learning is prioritized, or at least well-supported within the school.

• Marcia Ferguson (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 9:39pm ()

It is interesting to read the comments (Zac) about needing some good old fashioned PD.  I was talking to some of out staff today about how, over the past few years they have learnt about new technology/taught students about it/used it confidently; most said they were basically told "here it is, now use it" Although for some of us, that approach may work, some may be confident just heading out, having a sandpit session then getting on with it; we do have other staff who need to be shown (some time repeatedly!) how to use new tools - yes, even a camera sometimes!  One thing we talked about doing as a staff (starting next year) is having regular sandpit sessions to play with new resources or even see what old tools can do if we are creative.

I think that one of my biggest concerns about e-learning this year has been that we often buy new devices at school and they aren't being used effectively. To help combat this, I set the team that I am working a fortnightly challenge.  Sometimes it was as simple as using the Flip Video to record a PE session; use Maths Buddy for a session; embed a new resource onto the class page.  

We currently have a very detailed strategic plan for e-learning, I feel we are very lucky with the staff we have to work with in roder for this to have happened.  THis year has been one where areas the need improvement have been identified and we are now looking forward at how we can improve things for next year - including using our current tools more effectively!  One of the big things we are looking at for the start of next year, is up-grading/changing our SM system - after 2 years of frustration (some caused by staff), we have decided that the current system doesn't work for us - an important part of this will be ensuring that we have the necessary PD for staff at the start of the year to ensure that everyone starts strong.

I have recently been introduced to the many and varied webinars run/provided by MoE.  What a wonderful PD tool Smile

• Margaret Williams (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 7:56pm ()

As always some interesting comments being made. Having looked thoroughly at the e-learning framework I believe that this provides a clear structure for a school to move forward. As educators we need to be aware of technological changes but we don’t always have to be the leaders of this in our schools. There will always be those on our staff who have a passion for e-learning and who want to lead the way…they are who the rest of us can learn from. At present my school is working in a very ad hoc e-learning environment; we are staring to pull aspects together but I believe this e-learning framework will give us something structured to move forward with. As Ben has so rightly stated ‘the greatest obstacle to this change is the barriers in my own and other teachers’ heads, not the students!!  The greatest challenge to school leaders is the aging population of teachers who are not technologically savy or connected’. Ben also makes the very valid point that the infrastructure needs to be reliable as that is the biggest obstacle amongst our staff.

My personal goal in 2013 is to develop my e-learning capability but the hardest part is knowing where to start as it is a case of ‘I don’t know what I don’t know’. Having some PD around this whole area will support where I am going. The NAPP programme has certainly challenged me in the use of e-environments.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.