Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Greg Thornton (View all users posts) 16 Nov 2012 1:11pm ()

Undoubtedly I will not add anything new to the whole discussion as I am the last cab off the rank, but here goes...

We have fantastic expertise in our school and the vision has become clearer through this year. What that is highlighting is the 'so what' factor in terms of challenging current pedagogy. What actual difference is it going to make to the nature of our learning?

What we have done is establish a lead group to begin this exploration. Amongst them are Yr 7/8 teachers who a can realise more of its full potential impact and b need to embrace technology more.

We have gone through a period of providing equipment, but found that this was onerous (the hours spent on the fund raiser to buy the pod was exhausting!) but in some cases still necessary (design students and our business classes for example). We would like to move completely to BYOD, but at the moment we are about removing barriers to use, focussing on infrastructure and our capabilities to enable full use when appropriate. 

The more our student's 'own' their technology the more it can suit their learning needs and their care for this is much higher. 

• Neil Anderson (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 10:46pm ()

I think all aspects of the planning framework look very useful for our school. We are recognised locally as a leading ICT school. There is considerable commitment to e-learning, purchasing devices, encouraging innovation and developing an online presence. Also, we have found a real connection between e-learning and engagement. 

Interestingly though, while ICT is a huge priority and has been for years (well before our ICT cluster in 2007-2009), there is no strategic plan for e-learning. Hard to believe, I know. But how timely for us to be looking at the e-learning planning framework in NAPP at the same time as we have a change in focus with our e-learning. We have a computer suite, three digitally enhanced classes and increasing number of mobile devices (iPads). However, the equity of access isn't there for all students, parents have had to pay donations for the digital classes and the suite doesn't provide timely ICT access for students.

For us, the key areas to address are:

1. Infrastructure - this is now working almost to capacity so we need to identify strategically where we are heading next and invest in upgrading our network to cater for additional devices and also the impact of UFB when and if it comes.

2. Equity of Access - why should one student have more opportunity to use ICT than another? Who are we to decide who gets the access? Why should parents pay extra to access a digital environment? Our school vision relates to preparing students for the future. Whatever this means, it is likely to involve a digital environment, so having a group of have and have nots doesn't make any sense.

3. While many teachers embrace the opportunities that e-learning brings, little has been done in terms of professional inquiry into the impact of e-learning on engagement and achievement. Other than observing that engagement seems better with e-learning, there is little evidence base for any link between e-learning and increased engagement and achievement.

4. Finally, professional learning... we had plenty in 2007-2009 with the ICT cluster, but staff have changed, National Standards have taken a lot of our focus and we have probably slipped in this area. With providing increased access and equity in terms of ICT, expectations will rise on teachers to facilitate meaningful integration across the curriculum. This will mean considerable professional learning for many if not all staff.

In summary, as I work in the Acting Principals role and we take first steps towards the future, the e-learning planning framework is set to be a useful tool for me personally and our leadership team and BOT as we develop a strategic plan linked with our school vision and modern pedagogy.

• Paul Wilkinson (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 8:50pm ()

Well I have to say it feels a bit ridiculous trying to add something of any value at this stage of the discussion. Thank you to all of you who have thought deeply about this and posted great questions and great insights. I can see us using the framework to guide PD and help us with self review.

The thought that goes through my head is that often we don't know what we don't know. The framework might help us with identifying what the possibilities are for development.

Several of the comments talk about small steps and also abot imagining the possibilities. The Progress Principle kicks in here. The framework allows schools and individuals to map their current status and to note small steps and map progress so that success can be celebrated.

• David Barry PIck (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 8:30pm ()

Hey Kerry. Thanks for picking up on this, I thought I may have glossed over it. We all agreed very early in the year that a school leader (read principal) can't be an expert in every aspect of running the school. Paradoxically many of us continue to feel that they should be in this (e learning) area. Why is that? There is no reason why the leader in this area has to be the principal. In fact it may be better that they aren't. Learning, and pedagogy and moral purpose (in the educational sense) yes, but why all those other areas too? Inclusive leadership inevitably leads to professional development and hopefully committment in staff. Hopefully this in turn leads to better outcomes for learners, both priority and others. And technology can make such a difference to thse with special learning needs.

• Geoff Childs (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 7:51pm ()

Catriona Mathieson

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Firstly, I would just to like to say how much I enjoyed the webinar.  Having never participated in one before I was a little nervous however, the instructions for logging on were so clear and straight forward that the whole process turned out to be very easy.  The information presented was incredibly useful and the “chat” comments made by participants really added an extra dimension.  My only problem was my comments would not load – so I was obviously doing something wrong! 

In regard to looking at how I would use the framework at my current school I thought the points made during the webinar summed it up:

• Gather data
    • Scope possible futures
    • Promote professional conversations and a shared language
    • Ensure focus and alignment
    • Tailor support
    • Evaluate effectiveness

We need to do this school wide.  At present we are well resourced but poorly planned in regard to a cohesive use of ICT in the classrooms.  Using the framework should provide a platform that the school can build directly from.

The framework is a great tool.  Being honest and realistic when reviewing with it will be very important.

Posted by Catriona Mathieson

• Robyne Selbie (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 1:49pm ()

A sane voice Andrew. Selecting appropriate resources for their learning and engagement purpose does require planning. I worry about the state of school libraries these days,many I visit are run down because of money spent on IT and little use made of their engagement potential.A story well read always captures the listener and the act of reading is critical to achievement so we do need to manage resouces well.

• Desiree Mulligan (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 11:29am ()

Deb, this is, I believe the nub of the problem for learning in New Zealand as a whole, and reflected  in ICT. There is no level playing field in terms of education, and this includedes access to ICT. Surely there should be minimum standards of ICT and its provision in schools across the board in NZ. We are meant to be running a state education system in NZ. How is it a state system if we pay through our taxes and then also are expected to provide devices for school?.Probably this is fine in some families, but many cannot afford this, and this is amplified in a low decile school where lunch or breakfast is a challenge.

How is  our education system a state system if the state is propping up private schools and then developing charter schools with even more licence to deviate from the norm of education. Where is the NZ belief in learning and ICT provision for all to ensure we have  equality in education provision, despite student's  home background.

• Karen Wellington (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 10:44am ()

Korero 16:

Our school has been involved with an ICT learning cluster for the last 3 years. It has been quite a major operation with a large number of schools participating throughout the Wellington region. For me (one who is an extremely capable typist and knows my way around a PC pretty well and that’s about it), it has been a wonderful experience sharing the amazing wealth of knowledge that comes from collegiality with other teachers. Teachers know what you can and can’t do, and what children are capable of. Teachers are busy people and want workable ideas that they can latch onto and use straight away.

It has made us all think really carefully about making sure the infrastructure is sound. Spend a little money at the beginning to ensure there will be no problems at the other end. Deciding on what types of computers/ICT equipment/devices to be used is huge. As soon as you’ve purchased a brand new device, it’s already out of date with new products being invented all of the time.

It has shown me that there is huge disparity amongst schools also. Higher decile schools tend to have parents and people in the community who are computer savvy and who have time and access to huge amounts of resources that lower decile schools tend not to have. It’s not because the lower decile schools haven’t invested wisely – there just isn’t the money. However, what it has done is forced us to be creative. It is amazing what you can do with very little. At the same time, it’s also essential to have a savvy ICT/techy person to be able to assist with the little things that may prevent you from being able to do activities. It may take a techy person 5 minutes what would take you hours to figure out.

We have techy brekkies, to help us keep fresh with what’s going on in our school as we feel it’s an important way for everyone to share ideas, and keep the momentum up on helping our students into being 21st Century learners. Challenging ourselves is the major thrust I think - there is so much to learn and there's no way you'll be able to learn all of it (we're getting real here), but our job as educators is to be role models and show that we are learners too.

• Andrew Connelly (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 9:23am ()

Interesting to read about the detailed plans that schools are making.  It really seems clear that with so much investment in both time and money, that a really clear, detailed and appropriate plan is required to ensure that the investment is having the most "bang for buck" in relation to learning.

I also wonder how many resources that were extremely expensive, are sitting in schools not really being utilised to their full benefit and theirfore not really having an effect on learning.  Or even the wrong path was choosen and the investment made in the wrong area?  

Planning and thought are key.

• Vanessa Young (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2012 9:00am ()

wow, it has been interesting to read what everyone has been posting.  Our school very much into e-learning, for students and staff. The school runs ultranet which provides a place for the students to have their own portfolios but also a place for where parents can log in and see what their child has been learing including test results.  Each class has a classroom page which they continuely up date with the students current learnings.  However a lot of money has gone into this and the students have to pay a fee to help with the running costs etc.  It has been good to provide students in our area access to laptops, computers that they might not be able to use.  Our school is now looking at BYOD using cell phones etc.  We are also in the middle of looking at students leasing their own ipads from the school - in the long run the students would own these.  

Sometimes I find it hard to keep up to date with all the new info that is out there and finding new resources for the students to use.  However by having the computers in class the students have another tool which allows them to access more information and I find myself becoming better at lerning new things on my own laptop.

I still have a lot to learn in this area and will continue to develop myself to learn more.  

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.