The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Carl Condliffe (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2015 9:48am ()

I really like the e-Learning Planning Framework. It clearly outlines the "evolution" of a school with regard to their integration of technology in meaningful ways. I actually wish I had seen this document a lot earlier than I had!

I have taught in two schools at the time they were implementing their BYOD / e-Learning plans, and I must say that one school implemented it significantly better than the other. The big difference between the two was the Pre Emerging phase of the eLPF. There was a really strong direction and focus provided by the leadership team who had created goals linking to the schools strategic plan. As the school moved into the Emerging phase (which lasted 1-2 years) the staff were given significant PD and support in looking at meaningful uses of technology in the classroom - Less substitution and more authentic approaches! That particular school transitioned into each phase in a positive manner and both students and teachers were better positioned for it.

The other school took more of a "provide the infrastructure and devices" approach and hoped for the best. Safe to say that staff confidence is lower than it could be and technology is not really embedded as it could / should be.

• Andrew Wooster (View all users posts) 26 Nov 2013 7:58am ()

What has really helped me on my eLearning journey is having something concrete that I can use in the classroom. Before I get to that I think it's about time we take the 'e' away from in front of the learning. It implies that it's all about technology which it is not.  Taking the 'e' away is not an original thought I know but it being there can confuse community. What does the 'e' stand for?

Concrete - Learn, Create, Share is a model not to dissimilar to inquiry learning where the students learns something then creates the learning and then sharing with a wider audience. It is the creating and sharing part that creates the thoughts and ideas behind what technologies might be best to deliver this. Sometimes it may not take any technology such as making the classic paper mache volcano with exploding baking soda and vinegar. The learning is all about plates moving under the earth’s surface etc so creating that is the model and sharing that is a display in science fair or class presentation.  The students have the opportunity to share this anyway they like however and may choose to make a video, produce music or lessons etc. Point England School has some wonderful examples of this.

Getting back to eLearning journey. The principal has a vital part to play and ensuring the team are committed to the eLearning plan.  The principal must provide for future proofing and sustainability of the plan.  The principal must provide the infrastructure in the school to enable the learning to take place.  Any plan, new concepts, curriculum, assessment changes etc is best down from the ground up and let’s not forget to include the community.

I still like the buy technology, test it, and evaluate approach too ;) I like the following statement from the Manaiakalani web site:

"At home in the Digital World"

To create lifelong literate learners who are confident and connected anytime, anywhere, any pace; ready for employment in tomorrow’s market and contributing positively to their community.

Preparing learners for tomorrow is vital and we need to keep changing, developing practise to enable effective, authentic learning to take place.  It would help also to actively employ 35-50% beginning teachers for your staff.  Surround yourself with people that are motivated and get involved with online discussion groups.  That’s my ramble for today.

http://www.manaiakalani.org/school-projects

https://twitter.com/KeepEducating

/groups/profile/799123/men-in-primary-teaching

• KristinM (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2013 3:10pm ()

Absolutely agree David - that's like saying the teacher in the classroom holds all the knowledge.  We know that this isn't so and no one benefits from this model.  Schools have an abundance of expertise across a number of areas and the effective leader taps into this expertise and grows shared leadership and ownership of learning.  Interestingly, in the case of ICT particularly, we are finding it is our PRTs who have the most expertise and are leading learning at our school.  A great opportunity to develop leadership and turn the traditional hierarchy on its head.

• Marino Tiuka (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2013 1:53pm ()

The direction that this thread has taken, the numerous questions that have been asked and answered and the sharing of experiences and school specific stories has been extremely enlightening.  Whist I have not read every single post I have read a large number that present similarities to things I have seen, thought about and my school may currently be considering at this very time.  What it has also done is provide me with great ideas and insight into what others have done and what our possible choices could be.

The planning our school ay need to make can be well supported by the korero that has taken place here and the ideas that have flourished in discussion.  I also see one of my Senior Managers has also seen the benefits so I can invisage a face to face discusion taking place in the future.  

• Marino Tiuka (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2013 1:53pm ()

The direction that this thread has taken, the numerous questions that have been asked and answered and the sharing of experiences and school specific stories has been extremely enlightening.  Whist I have not read every single post I have read a large number that present similarities to things I have seen, thought about and my school may currently be considering at this very time.  What it has also done is provide me with great ideas and insight into what others have done and what our possible choices could be.

The planning our school ay need to make can be well supported by the korero that has taken place here and the ideas that have flourished in discussion.  I also see one of my Senior Managers has also seen the benefits so I can invisage a face to face discusion taking place in the future.  

• Hamish Hislop (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2013 8:24pm ()

I agree that the document is valuable. I am about to begin a new job and the eLPF will give me a framework to begin a review of the school infrastructure and planning for e learning. I also have directed it to the SLT at my current school to continue to use it to reflect on our current situation. It opens your eyes on where you head and what your gaps are. Excellent.

• Rachel Boyd (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2013 11:31am ()

The eLPF is a valuable document for self review and moving forwards in planning/resourcing/teaching/learning etc with schools.

Previously I have had similar plans for schools, looking at leadership, professional learning/development, teaching/learning programmes and technologies/infrastructure.

What I got most out of the eLPF was the focus also on 'beyond the classroom' as well as the above. This keeps us open to the possibilities of collaborating (locally, nationally and internationally) and puts a plan in place for engagement "through and about" technologies, with a great focus on partnerships.

• maryrahiti (View all users posts) 02 Nov 2013 3:31pm ()

The framework would be very useful in our school to provide us with the guidelines of how we are doing currently with elearning and what we need to do to get to the next step in our elearning journey.  Our school is moving along well (in our eyes) with elearning and after attending conferences on what else is available out there we are easy to want to take on all new devices, tools, blogspaces, coverage of wifi, faster connections, and so forth.  In doing so though, easily get caught up in the vast world of ICT and forget wo assess how these new, bright and faster tools are aligning with our school goals.  Are they providing us with the purpose we need them for?  Time to visit the elearning planning framework and revisit , redirect or continue on the same path of our schools elearning journey.  Hurry though because budgets have closed for this year and planning for next years budgets are happening NOW.

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 31 Oct 2013 4:43pm ()

Thanks for the posts this week around how you are integrating e-learning into your strategic plans using the eLPF.

Yesterday, we took a wee journey through some of these idea synchronously in our repeat webinar opportunity.

Thanks to all who attended, shared their stories and posed thoughtful questions.

Recording

Here is the recording for those that wish to access it: Access the recording via Blackboard Collaborate

...and a summary of the discussion from Tessa, below:

Blogged notes

>> Access the slides

"Karen started today the webinar with a story about Angelique Bidois, a principal from Matata Public School and her journey with the eLPF while engaging in PLD on the BEL project.

Geoff Childs shared a concept map when working through strategic decisions about learning capability/capacity/initiatives.

Geoff talked about how decision makers tend to gravitate to the top left-hand corner, to find out what we can get out of e-learning and gave the example of BYOD… what would be expect to get out of one-to-one devices.

He urged us to be strategic about what we can try and avoid, what we want to ensure we preserve as well as what can be abandoned altogether. He also encouraged us to be specific on all accounts.

Karen went on to ask the audience, How does strategic planning happen in your school? Several responses as well as comments in the chat forum enabled participants to share their current practices. For example, one idea about making the process open and transparent using Google docs, enables interaction, a flexible process, commitment and involve all members of the community for conversation and thinking.

Geoff summarized that strategic thinking is critical and having smart tools to support it with community buy-in feed-in is vital.

Karen reminded us that, “e-learning doesn’t define your strategic plan; it is one important component, rather than an end in itself.”

She then walked through us all the framework, its intentions, audience, potential, supporting resources. Web links were shared via the chat facility.

Anne Kenneally then talked about a process for administering the framework across the school and emphasized the value that lay in rich dialogue and discussions. Using the online survey tool (BEL project) meant a snapshot can be used to analyse data and define future directions – in line with a school’s shared vision for learners.

Anne highlighted the need to be clear about the purpose as well as the need to build common understandings in and around the framework itself."

Resources shared include:

Twitter hastag #NAPP

• Josie Peita (View all users posts) 31 Oct 2013 12:48am ()

The eLPF has been very useful in helping me to consider the development phases the staff and students in our school have undertaken in the last three years. The "next steps" to progress are easy to follow. I suspect we will need another two years to complete all the phases. We have challenges ahead as a result of the growing confidence of staff members in e learning. It has been cool to attend workshops and listen to the variety of innovations that are being created to make elearning access quick, easy and affordable for all students no matter where they are located in Aotearoa.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.