Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Susan Cattell (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2012 8:22pm ()

Hi Matt

I find it really interesting how different schools have different priorities and reasoning around the same thing. We have just disbanded our COWS that we have had for over 3 years, as we found that the repair costs outweighed the benefits. The fact that they were mobile led to more wear and tear. Instaed we have launched BYOD this year, essentially giving the responsibility of looking after the device and maintaining it, to the owner. This is working really well, and more and more students are bringing devices every week.

I agree that the pedagogy must be paramount, and following the 4 levels - Substitution, Augmentation, Modification and Redefinition has worked well for us as a filter. We realise that our teachers are at different stages, with some still seeing digital devices at the substitution level, but our professional learning is supporting the transition.

I am very excited looking at the eLPF as it offers a very clear framework that highlights where we are now, and where to next. We are looking to use this to further our elearning progress.

• Kathleen Kaveney (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2012 9:04pm ()

I agree with Susan that the various different priorites for schools is interesting.

At our school we are just finishing  a 3 year ICT PD and it is interesting to read the elearning framework to see we are engaged and extended, with staff in both of these and some moving to empowered.

Staff have had many opportunities for PL in ICT as a result of the contract and with the ever changing world of technology PL is constant. We are toying with the BYOD and grappling with the details of this type of policy. As with other schools, our ageing buildings are not always compatible with the best of the modern learning environment!

• Richard Lawton (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2012 9:54am ()

As others have already said, the introduction to the eLPF comes at a perfect time for planning next year.  We have a senior leadership team strategic planning day next week, and part of that day will involve using the framework’s five over-arching dimensions to ensure that all aspects and stakeholders are recognised and catered for.  It will help identify where we are, and where we need to go, and assist us in making informed and sustainable decisions.

A good place for us to start, will be to look through the eLPF as a senior leadership team, and develop a strategic direction.  We will use the five dimensions rubric (p3) to self -assess where we are at as a school.   We will then follow the “self-review tool” cycle diagram, beginning at step one (Where are our students at?) before moving on to step two (where are our staff at?).  Step two is likely to be conducted at a teacher only day before the 2013 school year begins.

Next week we will also be planning our school TAI for 2013, which is literacy based, however we will use the framework to keep in mind how we can integrate ICT in the process. 

• Geoff Childs (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2012 10:25am ()

You are right Richard. The framework is a useful tool for planning and and supporting implementation and the self review cycle is useful at both a school wide level and at a syndicate/deparatment level. Your comment about integration of ICT into your TAI focus reflects a pragmatic approach that suggests you already have a good grasp of the place ICT needs to have in today's schools for today's lteachers and earners.  

2013 is getting well into the second decade of the 21st century and I wonder when we will no longer need to refer to 21st century learners like they haven't yet arrived??

• Jonathan Hughes (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2012 10:20am ()

We are using the information from the tool in our new strategic plan. Of significance is the section on teaching and learning. We are moving to 1-1 next year which is the easy part of the process. The teaching and learning aspect is the hardest to imbed.

• Matthew Cooke (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2012 11:03am ()

I have been finding all the discussion around the ELPF SO interesting - thanks everyone!   We have begun looking at the framework at our school of 950 students.  We are using the framework for pedagaoy first, devices second.  As such the framework gives us a great baseline to begin.  Interestingly enough, the results if where teachers think we are at are very similar to our own 'in-house' e-learning survey.  I would recommend this to do with your school as well as both surveys together can help support.  

The ELPF links to our e-learning.ICT strat. plan and also meshes well with our e-learning 2013 Action Plan. We also ensuring that there are links with the elearning Action Plan 2013.  

• Alison Cadman-Smith (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2012 2:28pm ()

I think the e learning planning framework is a very useful tool.  We are  at the emerging/engaging stage at my school. I will be good to examine this further as a team both at board and staff level. As a small school with a very limited budget we need to consider very carefully the direction we take. We have been given 3 free tablets and there is a temptation to add to them without taking the strategic planning needed first.

• Alicia Monique Craig (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2012 2:33pm ()

I think the eLearning Planning Framework is a good tool that can be used to review our current situation is and what our next steps are for e-Learning as we are well underway in our development of ICT's. It will also help develop our strategic plan and looking forward to the future, especially as we are looking towards BYOD.

• Todd Malcolm (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2012 5:00pm ()

The e-Learning Planning Framework (ELPF) was used to underpin the work of the new MoE regional model of e-Learning PLD as part of a pilot project in 2011. School’s involved in the pilot project trialed the ELPF as a tool in multiple ways.

The opportunities for a school using the ELPF include, but are not limited to:

• Identifying key dimensions for school focus
    • Identifying current reality not based on assumption
    • Identifying possibilities and raising awareness
    • Identifying next steps in a school’s e-Learning journey
    • Generating quality professional discussion around learning, and e-Learning in particular
    • Generating a shared understanding for a whole school approach
    • Providing a strong platform for strategic positioning and planning
    • Providing an informed direct focus to best meet the needs of raising student achievement
    • Gives a school confidence and a framework for moving forward

One school commented “ (the ELPF) meant that the SLT could get the real picture rather than assumptions. It is a good guiding document so schools know where to go next rather than guessing - or leaving the harder parts out and only focusing on say resourcing for example....it provides a framework for support”

Tracey Bowker

This was our school. We were lucky enough to be on the trial and used Tracey’s expertise in setting a strategic direction for E-learning at our school. It has been extremely useful in enabling us to plan and execute all of the above opportunities. We had spent the previous 2 years getting our infrastructure sorted and were ready for the next step. The ELPF gave us just that -a framework to work from. ( data- evidence- plan- execute-review ).

We have plenty to do, but at least we know where we are and where we want to get to.

I am more than happy to share our E-learning plan with anybody who wishes to email me for a copy.

Todd

• Anna Zsigovits-Mace (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2012 5:50pm ()

As with many other schools we actively use ICT in all our classes. I would say that we are well resourced and have had considerable PD to effectively use ICT as a teaching tool BUT looking at the e-Learning Planning Framework indicates quite strongly that we are merely at the beginning of a reflective journey that can only enhance our classroom programmes.

I found the reflective questions outlined in the Professional inquiry into e-learning on TKI ideal for beginning the journey. The Framework is clear and easy to follow ensuring that schools can be assured that once started there is a pathway that reassures every participant in the process. This is the other highlight of the Framework. It is imperative that all participants are part of the reflective journey and it is not a top down model but rather an interconnecting professional learning environment that is created.   

• Michael Molloy (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2012 8:50pm ()

The e-Learning planning framework is a great way for schools to take an internal but 'independent' look into where the school is currently placed. So many times we go about things the wrong way - e.g. not having a clear vision for e-learning, not having schoolwide infrastructure in place before purchasing devices. The school also need to do a check of where each teacher is at in their own learning so a strategic plan can be put in place to move them forward in their learning.

The planning framework has thought around all these issues and can help schools effectively plan for a successful future. 

I do question the old addage of having a 'COW' of computers. I believe the technology needs to be embedded into everyday use and not when I have the laptops booked! 

I will be using this tool next year to help find our next steps. I think everyone should either join the webinar of watch the recording.

• Nick Major (View all users posts) 06 Nov 2012 11:16am ()

I agree Mike, that the webinar recording is well worth watching/listening to. How might you use a recording like that (or snipets of it) with your staff?

A key message, for me, is once again 'alignment', which prompts me to reflect how often we (as school leaders) allowed things to happen in the past without first ensuring that there was clear alignment of purpose, vision, understanding, pedagogy ...etc. I wonder how the principles of the e-learning framework model could be applied to other aspects of school management?

• Michaelene (View all users posts) 06 Nov 2012 12:24am ()

The approach at our school has been totally adhoc, purchases are made at the whim of a few staff members who are extremely vocal about the types of devices they consider to be, in their words 'really cool'!  To my knowledge there has never been a requirement to investigate how a particular device adds value in an educational setting, nor has there been any need to justify a purchase in terms of planned learning experiences.  I see the eLPF as an integral tool to give schools an idea of how to approach the vastness of e-learning.  I have seen a huge amount of money invested at our school only to see (or rather not see) devices locked up in cupboards because teachers don't how to manage the use of the  devices in a classroom setting, let alone imbed e-learning in their practice.  I think the tool takes us back to what is important and that is leadership with strategic intent - so for me, that is a key dimension and a goo dplace to start.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.