Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Trudi Brocas (View all users posts) 03 Nov 2012 6:14pm ()

The framework is  yet another great tool for us to use - clear and sensible and i have also really enjoyed the examples, case studies and other formats.  In our school we have focused so much on improving our infrastructure  ( we pretty much had nothing when I took over ICT at school) that I have recently realised a few key pieces of thinking have not been developed ....

Current Myths being challenged 

#1 ICT is what I do in my school ...... actually one of the things I love about the framework is that is clearly outline the shared responsibilities of everyone - it has been great to challenge teachers and team leaders to develop this thinking into their work with teachers

#2 e-learning is having the stuff - despite singing this song for along time , when i recently surveyed teachers about e-learning - this still came up , a great starting point for a conversation :)

#3 E-learning /ICT replaces the paperwork - if all we are doing is replacing what we used to do we are infact not making a difference to how and what students are learning - technology gives us the opportunity to develop interactivity, independence, curiosity, problem solving, creativity - are we doing any of these if ICT in your class is simply projecting a website on the wall or presenting an assignment using 'word' 

#4 There is one best technology - in fact pen and paper is also technology - being able to 'choose' the right technology for the right purpose is important - doing an activity on an ipad - doesnt make it a better lesson - using the right technology for the learning and modelling the thinking in this is what does ....

The e-learning framework is a great tool to start unpicking some of these myths and develop a clearer vision 

• Elfrida Dhanaraj (View all users posts) 03 Nov 2012 6:44pm ()

As part of the Tamaki cluster involved in an e-Learning initiative, integrating ICT in all curriculum areas was a key area of focus for our school in the last four years. ‘The Manaiakalani Project was started as a 4 year curriculum development project to raise student achievement outcomes and to improve student engagement by linking key learning from Schooling Improvement with developing practices from the national e-Learning Action Plan (Enabling the 21st Century Learner).The seven schools in the cluster have worked together to develop effective collaborative practices and pedagogy in the e-Learning environment.’ (From Colleen Gleeson’s Manaiakalani research report 2011)

The Principal, teachers as well as students have been on this journey as learners and teachers with role reversal sometimes. The introduction of netbooks in classrooms for each and every student in the school has made a huge difference to the way we plan and operate our teaching and learning. Our focus has also been on adapting the changes that were needed to ensure the one-to-one devices were used to their full potential and the development of a pedagogy suited to the use of the devices.

Through the initiative student achievement outcomes in speaking, listening, reading and writing have been raised. Motivation to learn and engagement of students has been noticeably high. It has also given them the added opportunity to become confident and effective digital citizens regularly using netbooks, interactive boards, data projectors, digital cameras, etc for learning. Students have individual as well as class blogs to showcase their learning. Students and teachers are using Google Docs to enable them to connect with their learning/teaching from home. Check Manaiakalani Research Report December 2011 for evidence of improvement in student learning in the Tamaki Cluster with e-learning. Visit the Manaiakalani website.

Collaboration with teachers in the cluster for improvement in teaching and learning through e-Learning has been a regular feature during which knowledge and skills are shared. The journey has also been one of learning to keep up to date with latest technological advancements and develop a pedagogy suited to e-learning. E-Portfolios are our next priority.

The e-Learning Planning Framework will be very useful as a catalyst for designing e-Learning goals for teachers and school leaders making links to the Registered Teacher Criteria and appraisal as Tessa Gray puts it. The e-Learning Planning Framework will also be useful to review what the school and the cluster have been doing and what else needs to be done. 

• Hohua (View all users posts) 03 Nov 2012 9:02pm ()

This e-learning planning framework may be just what our school needs. As part of the ICT leadership team I feel we are lacking in direction. One of next years goals is to focus on integrating ICT through all curriculum areas and I think this sounds like the guidance we need.

In the past we have run staff meetings, workshops, created a blog to deal with questions and provide ICT tips. Although this has helped staff with specific issues overall it has not translated into changes in practice.

• Annette Barnett (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2012 11:32am ()

Last weeks webinar was a great start for our thinking for next year. Our DP ( who has just been appointed Principal for next year)  had seen the framework but was only using it as a general guide for the ICT team.  So we discussed how we could go about starting this for next year so that all staff had some input. I wondered exactly though where/how we might start? It does seem like it would need careful planning to ensure everyone has buy in.

• Kathe Tawhiwhirangi (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2012 1:01pm ()

Kia ora Hohua (tatou katoa)

It is heartening to see that so many of you are wondering about the eLPF and are becoming excited as to the possibilities in addressing this with your schools. Whether schools have been active participants in the ICT PD clustering programme, have been a few years post contract, have been part of pilot programmes in 2011 and/or, just come out of piloting the Māori Medium e-Learning Planning Framework in term 3 just gone, the common points of interest is that in most instances, schools have placed themselves at the early stages of the framework. Considering the eLPF was designed last year (the MMeLPF is currently under construction) it is of no surprise to me that most of you/us, have aligned ourselves with the early stages of the framework. It seems that because there has never been a 'guage, or measure, or self review tool' before, schools can now happily position themselves on the framework and look at where their next steps are.

The positioning is an awareness of 'where to next'.

It has been hugely exciting to just come out of a Māori Medium e-Learning Planning Frameowrk pilot with 13 kura (from Akld to Invercargill) and see the excirement around the 'where to next' for each of these kura.

Where we were able to, the ideal was for each kura to have...

1. Analyzed their Teacher Belief Surveys around eLearning beliefs and typical usage

2. Condensed an overall statement around 3 of the 4 stages within that, to start them on their thinking around eLearning

3. Position themselves on the MMeLPF (lots of wondering, clarifying and kōrero during this time)

4. Viewed their cumulative findings from this exercise and then used these to frame up their 'Strategic plan' from this information.

Timiperly's Teaching as Inquiry was utilised during this time as each strands'

- starting point

- next steps

- resource possibitilies were built

5. The next stage was to pull in all the staff again, and have them negotiate the strand of most importance/priority for them at this moment and time

6. The final action before we signed off the pilot, was to have each kura co-construct their Action Plan to progress through term 4 of this year.

We have encouraged our kura to keep their 'strategic and action plans' as living documents and have them displayed in prominant places in their kura. In this way, the e-Learning is constantly 'bumped into' and kept to the forefront of the schools learning, journey and focus.

By clearly identifying from strategic plans the strand that is being attended to, and then unpacking this further into an Action Plan, how staisfying would it be to see that stage signed off? (Having co-constructed this action plan, the expected oucomes/success indicators are clearly identifiable for all concerned)

A possible next step, would be to stand back from the strategic plan and then negotiate as a staff where the next focus needs to be. In this way, there is constant valuing of staff voice, all are aware, the process is transparent and inclusive and all are supported in moving forward.

Exciting stuff ahead of us...but then, I am biased!

Go well everyoneSmile

• Alastair David Drayton (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2012 2:17pm ()

The frame work is superb and it makes a leader ponder where they are in relation to the framwork, its phases and dimensions. At our school we look to be emerging in some aspects and look to move in to engaging. Setting up the conditions to allow that to occur is a challenge. Giving the staff the skills and challenging them to rethink their approach to teaching and learning involving technology can be daunting for a lot of staff. We have conditions set for BYOD to roll out and now its a matter of best practice around that. Having forums is a great aid and being innovative and a risk taker should be encouraged in staff in all curriculum areas. Getting the buy in  is the greatest hurdle. 

For planning the framework gives the school a tool to analyse where it is and then forces it to think about how best to move forward.

• Samantha Smith (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2012 2:23pm ()

I found the e-Learning Planning Framework an excellent tool to begin our thinking around the use of technology to improve student outcomes. With the (hopefully soon) UFB connection about to come into the school, it could not be more timely. For us the challenge is dealing with the variability in confidence, enthusiasm and competence of staff and students for using technology. Plus the huge range of tools available will also be a challenge. The framework provides a great starting point for the school.

• L. Nicholson (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2012 3:07pm ()

Again I think the timing of this Korero is prefect as we are currently being re structured at senior management level.  As middle manager I have been not been privy to the majority of planning within our very small rural College, but being privy to the vast array of information available through my participation in NAPP I have built up a great resource that i can use during my consultation

Being in a context like ours had some very rich possibilities and I believe that we need to really embed the 5 dimensions of the e-learning frame work. I am particularly interested in the Professional learning element as I have had responsibility for this area and have worked with the e-principal in our area. I now have to  put my leadership thing shift into practice and consider all the dimensions of the frame work as a collective and not in isolation.

• Trudy Gibb (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2012 6:26pm ()

The framework is invaluable to a school and its leadership team and Board of Trustess, as the five over arching dimensions ensure that all aspects and stakeholders are recognised and catered to and therefore it supports schools in hopefully making informed, sustainable decisions, in an ever changing and technology driven area.

• Jim Peters (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2012 8:57am ()

Has the framework been incorporated into the planning being done in your school, Trudy? If not, how might you be able to connect the school to it?

• Kate Ericksen (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2012 7:00pm ()

Hi there,

We have been looking at the eLPF the last 2 weeks at my school - first in a leadership team meeting, where we pretty much decided we were emerging in all the rubric cells, apart from the technology infrastructure, which has been our focus this year. Unfortunately in my school we are still struggling with teachers ability to access the internet due to awful wireless issues. We did get UFB earlier in the year, but we only have limited number of computers available in the classrooms and most are in 2 COWs. Usually when you talk about computers and ICT there is vehemence and frustration expressed by staff, as to their access to the machines, so I was wondering how they would view a discussion on the eLPF.

I was pleasantly surprised by the level of support and interest that staff fed back after going through the framework. Different groups looked at the different pages and then very breifly fed back to the whole staff the level they had decided we were at. We then focused more in depth on the Teaching and Learning area and had some good discussions with the staff. 

What came out from this, was that the staff wanted a page put in thier appraisals to show where they were currently and to give them goals to head towards for next year, amongst one of the points brought up. They also expressed an interest to have this as our schoolwide focus for next year, which was really positive. I think we will be able to pull it off.

All of them said they want more PD, but this year, since the focus has been on maths, they just don't feel like they are able to go to 2 PD sessions a week (one on maths, one with ICT) which were being offered. We looked at how the initial focus tends to be on the technologies and as the school progresses, it moves more towards curriculum focus, and especially we discussed the importance on focusing on the needs of the students.

This now leads me to ask a question of our community. When I went to a PD workshop earlier this year, they were saying how we should come up with a ladder of IT competencies for staff, so that they could identify where they currently sit and then look at the next step on the ladder. I have been able to find ladders for ICT progressions for students, but nothing really for teachers on the internet. A big focus for our school next year will be Google Apps. I was wondering if anyone has some kind of step system that shows the integration of Google into their school systems and teacher familiarity with it in particular...?? Aside from this, if anyone has something for staff to use in thier own appraisal and development, I would be very grateful.

Thanks - Kate

• Tania Cohen (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2012 8:10pm ()

I would have to agree that students are a great asset in terms on ICT and using their strengths to support teachers on the journey is a great idea.  We run a teckie group of children that have strengths in ICT during a lunch time and in turn they support teachers in classrooms if requested.  We are a primary school.  I can see the framework as a useful tool in guiding the review of the curriculum that we are about to undertake, keeping in mind e-learning.  We are also in a messy situation with massive roll growth and a hotch potch of building being put on site until a plan to redesign is accepted by the ministry.  This means that we have the technology, we just don't have the infrastucture to support it. e.g new classrooms don't have phones, out of lines on the board, can't get wireless or connection - too expensive as they are only temporary buildings and require cutting into concrete etc.  This is somewhat frustrating when we are trying to keep up to date and upskill with ICT.  I love the idea of having experts and they lead the way with trialling the new technologies - teachers with a passion and onboard tend to spread the word to others who will then give it a go.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.