Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 31 Oct 2012 9:56pm ()

Today Karen Melhuish Spencer, Tessa Gray and Greg Carroll presented a webinar on  How you might use the e-Learning Planning Framework - NAPP course

NAPP: How you might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to plan and review progress: This session explored key ideas around the purpose and use of the framework, what this means for school's strategic planning, and where schools might integrate the framework into strategic planning (31 October 2012). This webinar is supported by a thread in the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group.

Main points tweeted from the webinar today included.

• Listening to a scenario and identifying the schools needs using the eLPF.
    • There will not be sustainability if there is no buy in from the staff - the staff need to be on board.
    • How do you know what to focus on when planning ahead for the next year?
    • Your planning for next year needs to start from a broad focus on where you are now.
    • Reminder, this is a self mapping tool not a review tool for others to use against you.
    • How is e learning part of your strategic plan for 2012? 
    • The unpacking of the statements is part of the learning journey.
    • You need to have all 5 aspects of the ELPF in play if you are going to build sustainability in a school with e learning.
    • Greg Carroll shares his experiences as a principal using eLPF to identify areas of focus, weaknesses and strengths.
    • Planning strategic goals for the short term and for the longer term with Greg Carroll using the eLPF.
    • Your role as a leader - identify one area you all agree needs to be a focus. pic.twitter.com/M1Zj8tjz
    • The eLPF - How one school put it into action. a href="denied:eLPFhttps://vimeo.com/52434811
    • Lester can be contacted (Deputy Principal at Maungatapu School in Tauranga) via the VLN > /profile/Lester

Tessa shared 

Please continue the valuable discussion in this thread. The recording of the webinar will be available for you to view again soon.

• Ruth Foulkes (View all users posts) 31 Oct 2012 10:30pm ()

Our school, like many I am sure, show a history of surges of enthusiasm where by an enthusiastic or knowledgeable member of staff has a strong influence on tools and technologies acquired, sets the wheels in motion and then moves on without developing the enthusiasm and knowledge in others. This has clearly happened in waves with different influences and different tastes! It is our job as effective leaders to do an effective audit of what we have, what we think we need why we think we need it, what the students think they need and why. This audit should include leadership capabilities, technical support, teacher capability, student capability etc. as well as the tools, hardware and infrastructure. It must be needs and learning driven appropriate to our school and community at this point in time and with a view to the future. It must be a clear, self-sustaining and constantly reviewed system of which there is common ownership and shared responsibility so we have consistency and continuity and a longer term plan and view. I can see how the framework will help to guide us to plan our audit and map out our next steps. As was said above, you need everyone on board, that buy in and sense of ownership can never be underestimated, and as staff change so we ensure that the old and new staff walk side by side. I think for us our starting point must be a discussion about the framework and then hopefully our team will on reflection, see, that our situation is not quite as dire as first thought...the important thing will be to bring us all to a common view of where we are. It is interesting that whilst I felt we must surely be Pre emerging others felt we were extending. It is exciting to be able to plan some early conversations and an audit based on the framework... rather than, "to apple or not to apple?" that is the question, or maybe we should do both. Definitely a focus for next year with the realisation that, "Rome was not built in a day".

• Scott Symes (View all users posts) 01 Nov 2012 9:04am ()

After listening to the webinar yesterday I feel so much more prepared to use the framework with staff next year to start setting strategic goals for e-learning. I know the framework is going to be very useful in helping the school and staff set a vision and purpose which is the fundamental basis for any successful school tackling e-learning. The framework will help map where the school is currently at and help map forward to ensure the schools on continuing to grow in this area-using ERO recommendations and consultation with key stake holders will ensure we are building on the current picture.
    It was great to hear that in order for effective e-learning to be sustainable all 5 dimensions need to be intergrated-using the framework to review how each dimension is currently being implemented within the school.

How will the framework help in my role as a leader:

Framework will help the gathering of data to set strategic goals.
    The framework will provide validity for planning and using data.
    It will help focus the learning and identify how e-learning enhances learning rather than just using devices and ‘toys’
    It will help frame questions for consultation with community and students.
    It will help guide the 5yr plan-aligning Annual and strategic goals.
    The framework will promote professional conversations  helping to get a common understanding and a shared vision.

II thought the resources Tessa shared were great ands will help design some effective PD sessions with senior management and staff to start the ball rolling! Feeling a lot more positive and supported to start this journey.

• Alasdair T. Lean (View all users posts) 01 Nov 2012 10:41am ()

Having done some reading, but missed the webinar (due to techincal issues!) I can really see the benefits of the framework as a tool.  I like the idea of the audit/baseline "drawing a line in the sand" as it is all too easy to go with the new idea, rather than actually create a vision for students and the school in terms of steps towards e-maturity.  The nature of the framework also allows all aspects of the issue to be addressed.  It is again easy to get too focussed on just one element of advance, and suddenly realise there is much catching up to do.  This is especially true when the driver has a specific barrow to push.

As a rural school we use technology and the opportunities it creates to our advantage in many ways.  I think we can still do more, and there are still issues with connection to the local community and continue to advance the e-learning opportunities for our students.

As a leader the opportunity for structured thought and clear ideas of what positive outcomes actually look like can only be a tool worth using...

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 01 Nov 2012 10:55am ()

Hi Alisdair, the recording of the webinar session will be available shortly and then you will be able to go in and watch the webinar.  : )  Hope this helps, let us know if there are any technical issues we can help with.

• Pete Hall (View all users posts) 01 Nov 2012 10:43am ()

I'm keen to use the framework to communicate the change process in our school. 

I like that it promotes self reflection on many different levels. It allows everyone to understand where they are and what comes next. 

I'd quite like to get staff involved in making a rough framework for reflecting on personal dialogue and student learning too. 

What conversations can we expect from teachers just starting out?

What about those pushing the envelope of student experience?

How are those conversations different and what do we need to start making change in that?

It's important that we always come back to student experience. As Kathy Sierra puts it, it's about making your users awesome.

• Jane Armstrong Bos (View all users posts) 01 Nov 2012 11:06am ()

I have just completed an overhaul of the Enabling e-Learning website to more closely reflect and support the e-Learning Planning Framework. Each strand within the five dimensions now has content directly related. For easy access go to the eLPF examples and resources section and navigate from there.

• Anne Kenneally  (View all users posts) 01 Nov 2012 12:14pm ()

I am so disappointed I missed the webinar (unavoidable) and can't wait to view the recording when it is available.  

My NAPP inquiry this year has been an incredible journey: How can we build the e-learning capability of staff and students? (With a specific focus on transformation in teaching to meet the needs of students who are underserved by the current system, in particular Maori, Pasifika and special needs).

In hindsight I should have worked with all five dimensions of the elpf.  We chose to focus on the dimension "beyond the classroom" as we identified this as the area of greatest need.  We have very well established class blogs which we wanted to extend posting on and increase community engagement.  We have worked through staff changes, push/pull factors and are really identifying the purpose, goals and hopes for our online interaction.  The self mapping, reflective nature of the elpf is perfect for working with a staff to identify their abilities and set manageable goals.  As we work towards sustainability we need to bring all the dimensions into play.  We have worked to identify preferred learning time, group size, space and method of blogging to share class stories.  We are now buddying to pair/blog and we work towards engaging classes in the amazing quad-blogging phenomena. 

Next week we are running an extended community evening to engage parents in the learning journey and increase interaction with our online environments.  Learners from my class are running sessions in classes across the school to actively model commenting and interacting.  I have always said a blog without comments is like a day without sunshine, so I am looking forward to a whole lot of sunshine coming our way.  

The more I work with the e-learning planning framework, the more aware I become that it is our role as educators in the 21st Century to empower our learners to teach and support their parents along this very exciting journey.  Parents of my learners are inquisitive, interested and excited about opportunities but are often not sure of the potential of the online learning environment. 

I wonder how long it will be before we see an increase in learning support offered to community members?  How exciting it would be for learners to run ‘after school sessions’ teaching their parents and grandparents….

• Blair Giles (View all users posts) 01 Nov 2012 9:38pm ()

Kia ora Anne, the webinar was great and had some very human moments which was my first experience of this, in the past webinars have felt more like plugging yourself into the matrix or donating organs.  you should have a look through the archive when it appears.  It was good for me because i am a newbie at using the ELPF.  I liked your ideas around children facilitating sessions with parents and other community members - Real world learning for students - MAGIC.

A few other people in the posts above seem tocome from similar contacts to us - we have had a complete rebuild at our school - hugely taxing on class teachers, but it meant new wiring and i think i can say that we are totally ready for UFBB that will come to our corner of west Auckland early/mid next year.  The challenge for us oin the context of the framework is to use what we have and to use it creatively (a la Kevin Honeycutt). we have a high access environment and teachers who are learners and sharers and social media addicts (in a good way) but the challenge is to be thinking about the next step in the journey while looking down at hte path - for us that means, 21stC learning that is flexible, negotiated and real. Our children have high expectations for technology but low expectations for meaningful, real world, deep learning.  We want our students to be content creators rather than content consumers.  this is the key thing that that framework has highlighted for me, and also that we can hopefully use it to inform our BoT of the bigger picture (national trends and expecations - set by schools not the MoE) and of course to provide rigor in showcasing deep, negotiated learning that is not assessible through national standards (ie: outside of reading, writing and maths). Creativity.  

um, that feels like a bit of a rant. i shall get off my soapbox now.  

To finish, i really like what Peter said [above] in his comments from Kathy Sierra, that it is "about making ALL users awesome" 

Thanks Karen, Tessa et al for the webinar. Kia ora

Blair (@mumbleboy)

• Anne Kenneally  (View all users posts) 10 Nov 2012 8:15pm ()

Hi Blair, thanks for your comment.  I have finally made the time to visit the recording of the webinar and I agree it was incredible.  I have worked extensively with the eLPF this year, have learnt so much along the way, and added to my learning significantly through the webinar.  Our school is moving over the road currently - our site was purchased by a supermarket chain and we are re-locating 500 metres down and across the road.  For us this is amazing - new/fully refurbished classes, fully wired and cabled for the latest and greatest - so we are poised on the precipice of a e-learning E-xplosion.  I think the MAGIC in the framework is the freedom, the support, the research, the options, the ability for teachers to conduct their own teaching inquiry to really enable e-learning for their learners.  As I reflected on my journey with NAPP this year, I have celebrated the success and alluded to the excitement of the journey ahead.  I think the key for me now, is to make all our learning and teaching as ‘rewindable’ as possible.  Taking this idea from Kevin Honeycutt at Ulearn and melding it with Karen Melhuish Spencer’s idea of personalised professional development I am on a mission to make professional development ‘rewindable’ and sustainable… MAGIC!

• L. Nicholson (View all users posts) 02 Nov 2012 10:26pm ()

Some excellent comments have been made that have questioned my thinking and challeneged my idea.

We have yet to have ultra fast broad band fitted and I am beginning to feel left behind. I have been elected to be part of a working group to focus on the use of IT and the needs of it and this have enjoyed some of the comments posted and the quality of information that is shared. Is this not true leadership in one of its senses..giving it away to reap it back.

What i have often seen is a department demanding new equipment and soft wear because they can or because they have a like it or because they have been told its the best thing since sliced bread.

As a team we are looking at the big questions of "where in our Pathway of learning is IT being planned /integrated?" "How are we embracing new ideas/concepts of and in IT? "Are we allowing our students to lead the learning where they are the experts as much as we can?"

In short we are looking the whole and are often shot down when the tehnology is not developing excellent students. IT needs to be embedded in the planning and not as an add on which sadly has been the case. This brings me to agree with some posted comments on this site in that we need to develop further or revisit this planning looking from all aspects of ther school. This could be done via suverys..online of course..question and answer sessions as we are a small college .

We also need to be courageous and leap forward..our students do it all the time...

• Judy Cooke (View all users posts) 03 Nov 2012 9:23am ()

I've been referring to the e-learning framework since its draft format as we are a school fortunate enough to implement a 1:1 laptop program commencing in 2011 at the Y5 level and with a planned "staged roll-out" to Y8 in 2014 and as a new teacher to the school in Y5 I fell into implementing and driving this initiative forward by default when my fellow Y5 colleague left for Australia because of love! I was grasping to articulate the reasons for this initiative, how it fitted into the school vision and teaching culture and more than anything how to support teacher's professional learning to ensure this initiative was successful.  In 2010 there was also a core group of parent resistance to the idea of e-learning and integrating ICT's into the school curriculum.  The e-learning framework helped me mostly in the definition of the "5 Dimensions"  - they really do provide a road map to clarify thinking and direction particularly the Professional Learning Dimension.  My frustration is convincing my Senior Management colleagues this is a worthwhile document to refer to and to use to underpin our e-learning initiative.  I have come to understand that until you actually have to 'walk the talk' using e-learning it can easily be dismissed as it's nothing major and it's educational business as usual!  It's not!  It demands a huge reflection by all members of the staff and I believe the e-learning framework is a great tool to start the teaching as inquiry and Leadership Inquiry needed to ensure the potential of e-learning is unlocked in a planned and strategic way.  As I read over and over again, it is not about the tools but the teaching and vision of how the tools will enhance student engagement and achievement!  This does not happen miraculously - it has to be planned, supported and have ongoing profesional learning... despite all the fabulous tools at our fingertips in my school we are still very much at the Emerging to Engaging phase.  By identifying this however I have now a goal to work toward in moving towards Extending - without the framework I don't think I would have the vision of where to next...

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 03 Nov 2012 4:16pm ()

Thanks for all the great comments coming through so far, including for the kind words from those who attended the webinar - the recording is now available from our webinars page in the main Enabling e-Learning group.

I have been seeing a strong focus on collaborative approaches to working with staff on the framework. As we all know, for this kind of reflective activity to be useful, it requires us to draw on some kind of evidence, not (just) gut feeling :-)

So, drawing on your knowledge and experience of strategic planning, what evidence do you look for when you are making decisions about where you/your school might be positioned on the framework? Share an example?

• Richard Lawton (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2012 9:53am ()

First of all, participating in last week’s webinar was fantastic.  I feel I learned loads, about the framework and also the webinar process.  Thank you Karen!  I’m looking forward to joining in with more webinars soon.   

Evidence for making decisions about where my school might be positioned on the framework will come from a range of sources including:

Student attainment data, consultation with staff and community.  Student voice, Strategic Plan, ERO, e-learning technological capability and community links.  Software and resources available and  recent ICT staff PD.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.