Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Daniel Tupua-Siliva (View all users posts) 28 Oct 2012 6:26pm ()

E-learning Framework.

With the rebuild of our school, ultra fast broadband, new principal and leadership roles. This framework will help guide us through our E-Learning Journey in providing the learning tools and curriculum structure to allow our school to integrate these tools into the way learning is developed in our school, staff and community. 

Emerging: what is out there and suits the specific needs of our school. This is students, teachers, communities, budget, school network capabilities, UFB, wiring, environment, use of space. This isn’t a case of repeating practices of the past but integrating these tools to maximise learning and keep our students on par with every other learner across the world. Allowing for our kids multiple intelligences to be identified and strengths to be built off rather than stifled. 

• Terrianne Brady (View all users posts) 28 Oct 2012 9:21pm ()

I agree with you, Daniel - I believe it is about integration and innovation too.  I don't think we can simply sit our students in front of an online app/game/programme and call it ICT (as you allude to in your later post) and I think we are beyond preparing our students for the new technologies - they're already there!  We must be cognisant of our students mulitude of technological abilities and give them the opportunities to explore and extend these in relevant and useful learning experiences. 

We are two years out of an ICT contract and in that time have continued to do all the neat things we learnt/developed during the course of the contract.  We have not, however, moved forward.  I am excited to explore the planning framework further next year when our ICT curriculum etc, is due for review and will be using this to guide the establishment of an ongoing programme of ICT development throughout the school.  As many others have posted - teacher buy-in and utilising each others strengths (even the students) is critical and this document provides the scope for extensive school-based innovation.  I need to know that investment in ICT is going to be reflected in classroom practice and supported by effective pedagogy so the teacher buy-in is a critical starting point for us.

• Daniel Tupua-Siliva (View all users posts) 28 Oct 2012 6:56pm ()

Engaging: “Build it and they will come” almost the subconscious approach to purchasing and using ICT and eLearning in our schools. There are innovations tools by the truck load put in front of us every school day. Sweet that will take care of one reading group or math group during these periods….

Its not about the innovations but rather being innovative! Trialing, tinkering, twisting, manipulating and adjusting our teaching and learning to develop a curriculum and classroom food environment which fosters higher order thinking skills and collaborative learning. 

• Deb King (View all users posts) 28 Oct 2012 7:51pm ()

We have used the e-learning framework as a basis for the leaders of ICT to engage in school wide strategic planning. We have found the document itself to be thought-provoking and interesting, however, when it came to finding out where our staff think they are ‘at’, we moved towards the Ministry of Education document ‘Ultra-fast broadband in schools’ as the measures of ‘digital capacity’ were somewhat more straightforward for a whole-staff session. With some tweaking the staff can assess themselves quickly. We felt that to use the e-learning individual teacher reflection we would have to spend some time defining and considering many of the terms and as we move into encouraging all students to bring a device, we must consider our practice, we will have to make this professional learning sit alongside our already determined focus on literacy.

We are as many secondary schools are, on the top of a very big slope with the change of ‘learning’ being a fast ride down for our teachers. It is my observation that some are already ‘empowering’ – using the intranet to post calculus lessons and have the classroom operate as a ‘tutorial’, many are moving from ‘engaging’ to ‘extending’ and this is where we are changing our focus on what it means to learn in a secondary environment. There are some also, who are finding the nudge over the slope something they choose to resist. We will only see this change when we have reliable infrastructure that supports the increasingly online environment.

• Scott Symes (View all users posts) 29 Oct 2012 7:34am ()

Im really looking forward to using the framework within our school. We have often talked about developing a vision focused on e-learning and a the need for our strategic plan to address the schools e-learning needs but have always stopped short of getting it done. I think the idea of e-learning is so massive and daunting that we had no real starting point or a 'road map' to follow. Also the idea of pouring money into 'gadgets' and 'toys' without any real consultation or strategic plan to guide us was scary and ultimately foolish-however we have done this in the past so not wanting to get burnt again we have neglected to make this a priority area.  However I have a renewed sense of determination especially after seeing all the support and links this forum is providing and the webinar coming up-which I am very much looking forward to.
    I have the principal on board and we are determined to begin this all important journey!

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 29 Oct 2012 8:48am ()

LIke Tessa, I have very much enjoyed following this rich thread. A community conversaton, in which we respond to each other's stories, has developed, which must be very comforting to all of us, particularly those of you who feel isolated or uncertain of the way ahead... this is a great example of how an online community can provide support for face-to-face, and what a fantastic resource that is available to others for the future:-)

Ahead of this week's webinar, I thought I'd pick out the themes that are emerging across last week's comments and remind you of the supporting resources on Enabling e-Learning TKI...

The framework as roadmap

There have been many affirmations, such as those from Annette, of the tool being useful as a way to provide motivation and give direction. Several of you have talked about it providing an opportunity to renew and build on efforts from ICT PD a few years ago.

David JG touched on the importance of the dimensions working in tandem, not in isolation, and at any one time there may be elements of 'extending'  across some but not all dimensions…even if a school 'reaches' empowering, it needs on-going review and evaluation to sustain that progress, especially in the face of staff changes, community developments and so on.

Leadership

There have been several stories about distributed leadership of e-learning across the school. Justine raised the question that, if there isn't an an obvious ICT leader in the school, where to begin? How might other schools tackle this? Instead, is there a keen leader of teaching/learning combined with the possibility of working with an external mentor? How might we use the VLN/Enabling e-Learning online facilitators here?

Teaching & Learning

Plenty of discussion about the way e-learning integrates into what actually happens in the classroom. For example, Nane and James C reminded us that the development of e-learning is really a development in pedagogy and understanding of learning areas. In some cases, PD around collaborative, culturally responsive pedagogy may be needed before we roll out a whole new raft of technologies; as Sharon says, we don't want to be pouring old wine in new bottles;-)

Several posts reflected a shift from the use of e-learning as a discrete lesson on the timetable to being embedded across the curriculum (although of course, there will be discrete Technology learning too).

Daniel touched on the different ways in which our students can harness technologies to show their strengths - this is the heart of it all - finding multiple pathways so our students can shine. e-Learning can offer ways to differentiate our approaches in ways that might have been too time-consuming or unmanageable before - and here's where effective learning design comes in.

Infrastructure 

Jason, Daniel and Matthew W, amongst others, all reminded us of the vital importance of the trial - that deliberate testing and evaluation of ideas and initiatives. This sits at the heart of the 'enabling' phase. We can never keep up with the technology changes - but we can have rigorous processes in place to adapt and respond flexibly. Daryl's example highlights the importance of getting an infrastructure ready for BYOD - and this also highlights the importance of PD needed for so that we make the most of what BYOD offers to students (a hidden cost, perhaps?)

Professional Learning

David and Tessa explore the value of staff choice and of building on existing skills and strengths within the overall direction of the plan - and Jane made the valuable comment that we need to be talking to staff to establish their needs, feelings etc. Will a survey always be sufficient? How else can we establish our staff's needs in the same way as we do for our students? 

As Justine and others have mentioned, staff (apparent) resistance is an emerging theme.  Tessa offered a great post that reminds us not to judge our staff learners to quickly, that culture change and the introduction of any new initiative requires deliberate management.

Phew! A long post - but one that is testament to all your contributions so far. Tessa, Greg and I are looking forward to talking with many of you in the webinar on Wednesday.

• Sue Berry (View all users posts) 29 Oct 2012 9:35am ()

The Senior Leadership Team in our school came up with some questions that we decided needed to be addressed as we engage in schoolwide strategic planning around some of the e-Learning dimensions:

Lead Team

• Who needs to be on the IT Team?
    • What is the role of the Principal? Senior Leadership Team?
    • What is its function?
    • What are their roles and responsibilities?
    • What is their collective and individual level of delegated authority?
    • How are they resourced?
    • What are the reporting requirements? Principal? BOT? Staff? Community?
    • What support roles are needed to support the vision and plan?
    • What is the cost of these supports?

Governance

• What is the Board of Trustees view of IT and their perceived role?
    • Is there BOT representation on the Lead Team?
    • On what basis are resourcing decisions made?

Personnel

• What is the staff capability and attitude? What does it need to be?
    • What are the students’ views of IT and its use?
    • How is student safety developed?
    • How is Cyber – bullying responded to by the school?
    • How is IT development integrated into Personnel systems? Eg appraisal, training,
    • Do the staff know how to access resources such as individual training or equipment such as head wands for students? Or laptop pods?

Learning

• How do we intentionally plan to use IT within teaching and learning programmes?
    • What do we want IT to achieve?
    • How can IT support our local strategic priorities particularly related to Maori and Pasifika Education as well as Student with Special Needs?
    • How do we measure the effectiveness of IT that we currently use eg Mathletics, Successmaker
    • Does our hardware support the notion of learning with no barriers
    • What hardware might we want to look at? Why?
    • How do we make decisions about the purchasing of apps and software?

Community

• How can IT build links into and with the local and wider community?
    • How can we support the community in up-skilling families?
    • What can we learn from families?
    • Are initiatives such as The Study Centre or the Bilingual Clasrooms integrated into the IT plan
  • Glynis (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2012 2:50pm ()

This is a great list Sue, and fairly comprehensive.  It looks like a really good additional resource to use with the planning framework.  There are loads more questions could be added to the list but I wonder at what point we begin to ask (and expect to be answered) too many questions.  I remember the extent of the exploration exercise and when we visited Orewa a comment was made by the DP there that they had been through a similar process.  One of the conclusions they had reached, however, was that sooner or later you have to get on a just try things.  Sure, investigate and ensure that as much as possible can be done beforehand, but we're not going to be able to anticipate every issue before we actually just get on with the process.  My school will implement BYOD for year 9s next year and I'm sure it won't be without its problems, but all we can do is try to pre-empt them and then learn from the issues as they arise.

• Daniel Tupua-Siliva (View all users posts) 30 Oct 2012 4:08pm ()

Extending: We are a small school and this is tough so I can only imagine the challenges in bigger schools. Surveying the community and getting their perspective on where they think eLearning fits into their child’s learning. A few of our families place great emphasis on “book” knowledge and learning. The perception that it is just fun and games on no concrete learning actually takes place. This is where through community based initiatives our school has held basic computer training courses for 20 hours and we have been able to educate and up skill 40 families from our community. Our children are very talented in the arts, and it has been about investigating and investing in technologies and programmes which build and highlight these strengths. 

• Daniel Tupua-Siliva (View all users posts) 30 Oct 2012 4:26pm ()

Empowering: this has started with our students having direct say on our schools new website. We are in the position where our school will be building a new library and community room. Our school is the hub of the community and offering facilities that allow our current and past students technologies that allow them to interact with wider society and also have the skills to keep them on par with other learners. We have a parent’s course run through our school looking a child development. Getting our parents back into learning and allowing their children to see that learning never ends. Also giving our parents the confidence to go on with further study. This framework is a good starting point to tick things that are happening but also making sure not only the hardware/software side is taken care but also curriculum and organisation so it does become second nature in planning and delivery. 

• Gary Johnstone (View all users posts) 30 Oct 2012 5:27pm ()

Our Area School is located on two Campuses at two different sites - Junior and Senior. At the end of 2011, the school made Ipads available to all staff at a heavily discounted rate on the condition that they joined an in-house professional learning group based on the development of e-learning for their own use and in the classroom. This (bribe?) was highly successful with approx. 70% of staff taking up the offer. Participating staff familiarised themselves with their devices over the summer holidays and were open and keen to participate in the PLG.

The Junior Campus has integrated e-learning throughout the school with Ipads being the device of choice. The Senior Campus has yet to decide on the device of choice – preferring to wait until the introduction of the new Windows 8 Surface tablet – as there are many Windows based applications useful for NCEA that the Ipad cannot run or are not available.

I think the e-learning planning framework is a great tool to use for continued development; in particular for our senior campus. Several of the senior campus staff have embraced the flipped classroom model, but for some there has been passive resistance to embrace change. There is an emphasis at present on using the S.A.M.A.R. (Substitution / Augmentation / Modification / Redefinition) Model to gauge how far we have progressed. The framework gives a way forward to take the school out of the experimental mode that we are now in to a more directed pathway.

• Meryl Howell (View all users posts) 01 Nov 2012 10:48am ()

I have really enjoyed reading through all the comments and while I have had the benefit of being at a school where we’ve been following a very strategic IT development programme for the last 10 years, I think these pages on e-learning and the 5 dimensions are inordinately useful.  In the context of Ruth’s comment of feeling less a dinosaur, I concur.  Even though I’ve managed to keep up with the changes that are happening around IT, seeing that others are occasionally feel overwhelmed helps to settle my concerns.  It is not such a lonely place!

I have found looking at the 5 areas of the framework that Karen M refers to very valuable.  The roadmap is just that… a roadmap.  We have not followed it exactly as described and had to forge our own way.  I think that is just it.  You have to assess just what your school needs, decide on the best route forward and then make the bold decision to forge ahead.  From a leadership and strategic point of view, this requires buy in from the staff and it is the professional learning that allows  teachers to confidently grow their teaching and learning that is essential. 

In the past, we struggled with infrastructure, waiting for government assistance to hasten the process of wireless, high-speed connectivity.  This really hampered our progress and  we realised that, to do the things we wanted to do, we would have to take the bold step of providing our connectivity ourselves.  Fortunately for us, this was do-able, and despite the attendant fears at the time, we’ve managed to forge along our unique road. 

Like Gary, we too have embraced the flipped classroom model and are walking along the road of the SAMAR.  By and large, we are somewhere along the Augmentation/Modification spectrum and are looking at how best to get the redefinition aspect integrated into our teaching.  I think though, that we are happy with formulating our own directed pathway rather than relying on a pathway directed by others, but having an example of how others perceive the framework is always useful.

• David Grant (View all users posts) 30 Oct 2012 9:39pm ()

I have recently been at a PD session that was a summary of Distributed leadership. Here we linked Hermann Brain, Steven Covey's eight Habits of highly effective people, Five disfunctions of a team and KLP. My feeling is that you have to understand the people in your school in conjunction with the e learning framework to have successful ICT practices. Understanding people will reduce resistence and conflict. The ways concepts are introduced have a major effect on long term commitment. This understanding will hopefully balance out a schools progress within the framework and maybe lead to greater accountability and achievement. There is great power if we know where an individual is and how they operate and where a team is and how it operates. Underpinning everything is trust and to move to the upper ends of the framework dimensions required high levels of this.

• Sue Berry (View all users posts) 31 Oct 2012 9:46am ()

After further discussion we came up with more questions to inquiry into as we develop our e-Learning strategy.

Systems

• Linking of system to strategic plan e.g. can the EAR deliver on what the school needs? Can the SWISS deliver the behaviour analysis needed within the needed timeframe? Can the TELCO system support the attendance plan?
    • Systems knowledge by staff. Can and do staff use current systems effectively and efficiently – E-tap, Atlas, Ultranet
    • Do systems talk to each other? Enrol to E-tap?
    • Is system upgrade and maintenance budgeted for?

Hardware

• Do we have reliable access to the internet throughout the school?
    • Are different levels of the school using IT differently?
    • What’s the advantage between lease and purchase?
    • Does the staff have easy access to printing? What constraints might need to be in place?
    • Do school-wide systems allow teachers flexibility in the use of IT?
    • How is safety and security maintained?
    • Do the various devices talk to each other or are they stand alone?
    • Does the purchasing plan support the e-learning plan?
    • Does the hardware allow easy access for Students with Special Needs or is it a barrier to learning?

Environment

• Does the 5YPP/10YPP support a flexible environment?
    • Where in the school can students work outside their rooms?
    • Are their enough powerpoints within a classroom?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.