Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Jason Reid (View all users posts) 21 Oct 2012 9:31am ()

As a school we started development of ePortfolios in Google Apps environment at the start of 2012. This was in part to help solidify progress made in 2011 in staff PLD in using cloud computing and various web2.0 tools. But main aim is to create a media for increased student reflection on their learning and achievement.  As a school we are very lucky that previous BOTs invested early in IT technologies and infrastructure, resulting in a staff high in IT literacy and low in technophobia.

I wish we had invested time digesting the information contained in the eLPF before we started this process as it would have helped us avoid some key challenges along the way and some of the lessons we learnt through trial and error are clearly highlighted in the “5 Dimensions’. As an example – early into our ePortfolio development it was revealed that we did not have the vital infrastructure present to create a sustainable, collaborative, dynamic system. It was inevitable that our project would crash and burn because to our ISP provider’s package (SchoolZone Lite) was not capable of providing useful internet speeds to more than 20 users at a time in our rural situation. Once we started trialling within our school’s physical environment the issue became painfully obvious.

Anyway, to the point – here are two important tips from our development of ePortfolios:

1. If your infrastructure is struggling with current capacity then it’s not going to handle an increase in eLearning within the school. In our situation we found a cheaper and faster ISP work around for our rural school without having to leave SchoolZone (if you are in the same boat call me – I have top secret info to help you out)
    2. Extensively trial whatever you are doing with a small group of students who have normal student privileges and filters (pick from a range across the school). It was amazing that two seemingly similar students could run into crippling issues based on a variety of access issues. The last thing you want to end up with is a NOVOPAY situation and get your awesome eLearning opportunity scuttled with both staff and students before it has even started. We were lucky that we chose to take our time and extensively trial before we started. 
  • Matthew Williams (View all users posts) 21 Oct 2012 9:20pm ()

as an interemediate school, we run like a high school, so our students get a set ICT time - prior to this, all staff taught it.  It was an uphill battle to begin with, as four years ago the school had no server and nothing of worth for ICT...in fact the subject was the least favourite for all students!  We have had to undergo a massive overhaul of the schools ICT and now with interactive whitboards in rooms, our focus this year and next is the integration of ICT across all subjects, especially as we are trialling an inquiry model, very much like an IB school - so upskill staff and ensuring this is maintained throughout the year is a priority to add to our learning and teaching focus

• Helen Prasad (View all users posts) 22 Oct 2012 1:35pm ()

We are a decile one secondary school and have just started to look at e-learning plan even though it has been part of the strategic plan for a couple of years. I would say our school is an emerging school in terms of e-learning although we are well resourced with computer labs, computers on wheels, data-projectors in almost every classroom and our infra-structure is ready for UFB connection due to happen in December. There are teachers who are well advanced in intergrating ICT use in their teaching but there are others who are fixed in their ways and do not want to make changes with use of any ICT tools.

The recent seminars I have attended with other middle and senior leaders in the school has now given us a platform to start working on our strategic plan in terms of ICT. We have a draft plan in place but need to include the five dimensions and prioritise these so that the teaching and learning is the main focus. This will also ensure we get all teachers on board even if it means their pace is different from those of our early adopters.

• David Boardman (View all users posts) 22 Oct 2012 9:05pm ()

We are just completing our 3 year ICT contract and are probably at the "Extending" stage. 

It would have been great to have the planning framework available when we started the journey, as the majority of the first year was discussing and trying to agree where we wanted to go as a staff.

We quickly learned that allowing the 'experts' we had on staff were our greatest asset. With an expert in web-design, one in Google Apps, one in Smartboards etc, we were able to cover and provide a huge amount of PD for the wider staff. Also allowing staff the choice on which aspects they wanted to build, providing it was based around the core of improving teaching and learning, reduced some of the percieved negativity to change.

During the last year we have also combined this with effective coaching groups. Developing effective coaching is a challenge in its own right and being able to combine it with the ICT programme has been a great help. However, I feel we could have progressed further with this sort of clear framework and guidance from the start.

• Justine Brock (View all users posts) 24 Oct 2012 10:22am ()

HI David

I like your comment about allowing staff the choice on which aspects they want to build on. I agree and have found that doing this increases the buy in from teachers when asking them to make changes.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 28 Oct 2012 12:28pm ()

The comments in here are like gold and I want to respond to them all...but the idea of staff choice and buy-in - has struck a particular chord with me too.

During Ulearn12, the Diving into the e-Learning Planning Framework workshops introduced ways for school leaders and teachers to use the e-Learning Planning Framework as a springboard for designing detailed e-learning goals for teachers. There were links made to the Registered Teacher Criteria and appraisal.

Process looked a bit like this:

Resources used:

1. Registered Teacher Criteria wiki
    2. Google spreadsheet (which aligns the Registered Teacher Criteria outcomes with the e-Learning Planning Framework)
    3. Concentric circle planning template 

If teachers choose e-learning goals (that align with the wider school goals), in a way that is meaningful to them, then this can become part of a sustainable process, that helps to build internal e-learning capacity.

• Jude Young (View all users posts) 28 Oct 2012 1:58pm ()

I agree with you Tessa re  the buy in from staff is essential because reluctant teachers with imposed elearning criteria can cause a negative effect on staff dealing with change! I agree that elearning pedagogy is more meaningful if staff select their own relevant elearning and teaching strategies so that a school builds elearning capacity however, we are still dealing with a number of staff, despite registered teacher criteria who have a general reluctance to adopting consistent elearning strategies that will help engage 21st century learners!

We have tried many strategies to allay fear in this regard but we just keep working our way through this.  

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 28 Oct 2012 8:05pm ()

I hear you Jude...the logistics of supporting all staff - including the ‘reluctant’ teachers can be a real on-going challenge. I'm sure you've tried many things to help 'nudge and nurture' your teachers. I'd also love to hear more about those strategies.

Back in 2008, Greg Adams wrote that some teachers take to ICTs in the classroom like a 'fish to water' while others like a 'fish to a bicycle'. "The majority are somewhere in-between, searching for ways to improve their knowledge and understanding."

I think we can all agree that individuals differ in their attitudes, acceptance, and readiness to adopt technologies in the classroom. The e-Learning Planning framework itself embodies key understandings from two other frameworks, LoTi (Levels of Technology Implementation) and CBAM (Concerns Based Adoption Model). Both are outlined in this table.

Having a better understanding of this, enables us to develop strategies to better meet individual learning needs. The challenge lies in providing professional learning opportunities that cater for varying levels of e-learning understanding, skill and confidence. Some of these ideas have been touched on before in the Enabling e-Learning | Professional learning threads:

Here’s a snippet worth debating further...

"The cause of resistance to technology is often misinterpreted ...people do not resist the technology itself. People resist what the technology may represent - change, confusion, loss of control, inpersonalisation. As long as these concerns remain unaddressed, technology adoption in any organisation will be an uphill battle."  http://www.elearnspace.org/starting/integratingtechlearning.htm

Extra:

10 Ways to Change the Minds of Tech-Reluctant Staff - 21st Century Fluency Project

How Teachers Learn Technology Best - Jamie McKenzie

Teachers Resistance to Technology - Jamie McKenzie

• Annette Barnett (View all users posts) 28 Oct 2012 8:24pm ()

I agree with your 'snippet' Tessa. 'The cause of resisitance to technology is often misinterpreted'. Some teachers I know find it hugely threatening if they don't know how to teach everything step by step. It makes them feel like failures because they have always been the ones in control. And the same people can't even begin to think about letting the kids 'explore and find out' or worse still letting the kids teach you!! Of course this is all about change as your snippet also suggests and there in lies the rest of the probelm....

• Deb Marsden (View all users posts) 06 Nov 2012 10:31am ()

I think that you need to get the 'why' through to staff to avoid or minimise the reluctance to change.  I was really struck by Simon Sinek's TEDx talk: "Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Action" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZoJKF_VuA) and think that an approach that shows teachers the reasons why change is needed and how it will positively change things is important, rather than forcing them to change (or starting with the "what").  At the start of the year, I was really resistant to using myPortfolio, but if someone had told me about their experience with it and the potential it had I would have been less resistant.  I have found that as the year has gone on I have really relished the reflection and collaboration that myPortfolio has allowed.  I ran a PD session last week at work around the possible use of myPortfolio as an appraisal platform next year (after I spoke to our Extended Leadership Team about staff having to be sold on using something before they are forced to change their approach to teaching - they have to see the value before they will willingly buy into it and invest countless hours into it).  In the PD session I spoke about my journey with myPortfolio and the changes that it had brought to my self-reflection, self-understanding and reflection around practice, as well as the benefit of being able to be a virtual PLG and the growth that there has been personally for me through this.  I talked about how an appraisal process might look like on myPortfolio, but that we could construct this together if staff wwere keen.  At the end of the session, a huge number of staff were keen to give it a try, talked about how cool they thought it would be, and some talked of how they could use it with their classes.  Within the day about 30% of staff had a myPortfolio account and 25% had joined the staff group that I set up and a number of staff were talking openly about myPortfolio as a tool in the forum discussion and one teacher was asking me about how to eliminate the negatives that she had experienced in using myPortfolio with her Y9/10 English class.  I was really blown away by the openness to try something new and I came away thinking that we were actually miles ahead of where I had thought we were.   I had assumed that there would be huge resistance (and there still may be some resistance) but I really got it wrong. 

• Glynis (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2012 2:39pm ()

This has been a particularly interesting year for our school and we have decided to go down the BYOD route for all our new intake students next year (year 9).  Having visited various schools in Auckland to try to get more of an insight into what they were doing, we consulted with staff and the BoT earlier this year and got the consensus to go ahead and implement this.  We didn't actually use the e-learning planning framework although we covered most of the elements on it.  I guess we're now somewhere between 'emerging' and 'engaging' in some elements of the plan and between 'engaging' and 'extending' in others.  I wonder, on reflection, whether using the framework would have slowed us down slightly in our decision to go ahead with the implementation next year.  The staff certainly seem to be on board with the idea but I'm still not sure they're anywhere near ready for the actuality of 25 eager and expectant year 9 students sitting in front of them come the end of January!  There has been lots of PD and ideas going around and perhaps once our seniors leave this week then faculties will have the time they need to devote to altering and creating the resources needed.  I think it's so important to never lose sight of the fact that the learning needs of the students have to drive the use of technology, and not the other way around because it would be so easy to become lost in the hype of what is available 'out there' and forget that we need to have a core objective driving it all.

• Fiona Donnelly (View all users posts) 24 Oct 2012 10:04am ()

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Our school is probably a mix of pre-emerging and emerging.  We have an ICT team that did set a strategic plan 4 years ago but we really haven't lived up to it due to other priorities getting in the way.  The school is very aware of the importance of ICT and e-learning but unless it is fully embedded in the professional learning & development of the entire school in reality you probably have only a handful of teachers being the pioneeers.  These teachers describe how frustrated they are by other teachers seemingly lack of interest.  I don't think this is the case, I think other things get in the way and unless there is a fully committed strategic plan that is shared by BOT, Principal & Management, Staff, Students & Community then we will probably stay at the emerging stage.  Our school ICT team (mainly 2 people) have seen the framework but haven't done anything with it.  I like how Melhuish describes it and it looks incredibly useful.  It provides clarity and a pathway.  Our priority is infrastructure, all teachers regularly updating their class blogs and using them as a teaching tool, trialing e-portfolios, and different technolgies being used to show children's learning.  I think we have a long way to go.

• Justine Brock (View all users posts) 25 Oct 2012 8:27pm ()

HI Fiona

Your description of your school is extremely similar to mine. The difficulty being that we are a small school and there are not many people keen to lead the ICT journey. I am currently trying to choose a staff member to lead our journey. We do not have anyone with super ICT skills so I am looking for someone prepared to learn. It is a challenge but the sooner we start the journey the better.

• Dawn Marie (View all users posts) 27 Oct 2012 10:42am ()

Hi Justine, I agree with the challenges of IT Leadership in a small school, the staffing grant simply doesn't cover the multitude of leadership roles in a small school, or it all ends up getting dumped on 1-2 people with very limited release. We outsource our IT systems and support and yet our IT Lead Teacher still has his release day consumed by technical issues with printers, library etc. We need our IT Lead Teacher to be driving our IT vision particularly with our new LMS system that is going live to parents this term. 

• Justine Brock (View all users posts) 24 Oct 2012 10:15am ()

We are at the beginning of the e-learning journey. We have some awareness of what we need to develop and have been looking at the e-learning Planning Framework. We have written an e-learning Strategic Plan and are looking to start e2e and/or Blended e-Learning.

We are aware that we have staff resistance to overcome and the ever present argument of workload. Another issue in our small school where everyone wears many hats, is who will lead this initiative. It is hard to choose a change maker when a lot of the staff lack in e-learning confidence.

Our plan is to choose an effective practitioner with leadership skills who has the potential to love e-learning as they learn and grow in confidence.

• Lisa Cochrane (View all users posts) 08 Nov 2012 7:12am ()

Hiya Justine

I so agree with your comments with staff resistance and the 'extra workload'. It is really reassuring that we are in similar positions to others as we begin this journey in e-learning. Having this framework at the forefront of planning will guide the direction especially in strategic planning such as utilizing grants, resources and physical space.

In our early stages of this journey we have begun dedicating staff meetings to looking at different websites and tools that we have used with our classes and how they can be used at other year levels. This has meant greater buy in the use of e-learning - rather than seeing the IT equipment stand alone or simply a publishing tool! Children's levels of engagement and excitment have ignited many teachers interest and desire to add IT as part of their planning.

• Raeleen Harre (View all users posts) 24 Oct 2012 3:00pm ()

How we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world

The e-Learning Planning Framework provides the ‘roadmap’ as Karen Melhuish suggests.  In that way it gives schools a sense of direction – a starting point and a way forward.  The 5 dimensions framework provides that structure for schools to see where they are at.   In our case across those dimensions we probably feature more in the engaging aspects.  We still have a way to go in terms of the extending and empowering stages in particular - there will certainly be a lot of korero emerging around the way forward, lots of different voices will have their say.

As you say David, often you can forge ahead in one dimension – you might not necessarily move forward across all those dimensions at the same time.  That may be expected as it comes down to a number of things like –

1. 1.      Your strategic thinking/planning – where are you up to?
    2. 2.      Current annual goals as a part of that
    3. 3.      Resourcing – eg financial, personnel
    4. 4.      Professional development eg staff

One of the areas that we have looked at this year is the dimension of professional learning – how do you ensure that staff utilise those professional development opportunities when given to them.  Over several weeks we offered a range of PD opportunities across a number of areas.  Often though, staff may purport to be quite ‘savy’ in those areas but later down the track you find that they are not necessarily so.  We did do a survey to pinpoint more accurately staff knowledge around those areas that they wanted more training in.  This has been helped this year by having a staff member be given time to work with individuals and departments to develop their expertise. As a result we moved into the Beyond the classroom dimension emerging stage through engaging all departments in College Net’ –putting an outline of their courses on line for students to access from home. The cross over and link across the dimensions is inevitable.

The framework gives us the ‘next stage’ to move on to from where we are at and what that might look like.  It is reassuring to have that to follow, to use where and how we can.  It will look different in many of our schools in terms of the stages we are up to.  It’s a great reference point.  Staff professional development in this area is a ‘must’ if our students are to be 2lst century learnes

• Beth Lamb (View all users posts) 25 Oct 2012 11:08am ()

Hi

Dendra - We are like you in that we haven't begun to use this interesting and reflective tool as yet however as we are about to review the role of elearning in our curric so this tool will be invaluable to engaging the staff in the entire big picture process. I am extremely pleased about the timing and the transparency of this will give me some real picture responses as to the depth of understanding that the greater staff as a whole have around these issues. I agree with the response you post about indicatives and fervently hope that this tool will assist with the prioritizing of elearning as this is my passion.

• David Grant (View all users posts) 25 Oct 2012 9:29pm ()

How we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world

With ICT and E-learning having such an important emphasis is schools the e-Learning Planning Framework grounds a school. Often in schools one dimension is developed without consideration to other dimensions. This can happen for a number of reasons e.g. Infrastructure doesn’t meet the PD needs, finance, PD to the wrong people, the leaders of the school are not involved in e-learning and as Sue Berry mentioned visions and strategies written before ERO visits. If we don’t have an even approach all the enthusiasm in the world will still not mean successful outcomes for pupils.

I like how Karen Melhuish decribes the framework as a roadmap and not to be used for accountability. I can see how by plotting where you are at you can clearly see where you are at (some just guess where they are at) and what the next steps in each dimension might be. Keeping the balance I think would be the hardest area as schools have to cope with multiple changes especially with technology. I agree with Robyn Wood that the emphasis still has to be on teaching and learning and not technology.

We have focus groups in our school one of which is ICT based and my next step is to introduce this to them as a roadmap tool for our school.  

I would be interested in knowing of a school in the Canterbury region that is operating consistently in the extending and empowering dimensions.

• James Clarke (View all users posts) 27 Oct 2012 4:44pm ()

The framework could not only be used as a review of progress tool but also as markers in a principal's calendar or the school's strategic/annual plan. My assessment is that Rosehill College, planning for byods 2014, is at different parts of the four stages depending on the element. e.g. our vision is in the emerging stage and we need to move onto describing the technologies that will support the curriculum. My main interest is to ensure the teaching pedagogy is in a secure state before devices come into the classrooms in greater numbers. We have ict mentors and share examples; lets move to looking at the impact, responding and reflecting before taking further steps. There are discreet areas of burgeoning ict and individuals integrating ict practices; all Year 9s have 1 period of Digital Citizenship. Lacking? - cohesion. So our school-wide pld needs to set some targets that go beyond teachers trialling things to good practice being shared around depts. The values will then be: selecting appropriate and effective ict practices, authenticity and collaboration.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.