Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Siobhan Patterson (View all users posts) 07 Oct 2012 10:15am ()

It was great being part of the webinar last term and I found it a very valuable experience. I have already used aspects of the framework to survey the staff at my school about their capabilities with e-learning and the results while very mixed have given me some clarity about my assumptions. I will survey parents and the Board of Trustees early in Term 4 and collate this information to inform our next steps. One of the clear gaps for us is in the identification of e-learning in our vision and strategic plan - and as we are reviewing our school strategic plan currently I will work with the Principal and the board to ensure that they are aware of the importance of e-learning and the difference between e-learning and ICT (technology) where there seems to be a disparity in our current thinking across the school.

I am looking forward to the challenges ahead.

• Robyn Wood (View all users posts) 07 Oct 2012 2:51pm ()

Not sure what happened to my latest post - so my apologies if it appears in two different forms!  I'm busy playing catch up as I just got too busy at the end of the term and also missed the webinar as I was on holiday.  This is not the first time I have come across the e-Learning Planning Framework and I recall that I have sent it to my principal before suggesting that it might be a way forward - however it got swallowed up someone along the line.  So, coming across it again is both good and timely reminder for me to pursure it further with our management team as I believe it will be very helpful given a number of our staff currently inquiring into learning spaces and styles, the use of ipads in the classroom as well as some attending ULearn this week.  Looking forward to the webinar on 30.10.12 

• Dendra Smith (View all users posts) 08 Oct 2012 1:54pm ()

We aren’t using the e-learning framework but I can see that it would be a great tool for us to analyse where we are at, the direction we need to go and what we need to put in place to get there.  We also completed the ICT contract a couple of years ago and since then we no longer seem to have a planned direction for e-learning.  We have purchased a range of expensive ICT tools but I’m not sure that there is a co-ordinated or planned approach to the purchasing. Using the framework would help us to ensure that our purchasing is part of an overall plan that is based on needs and increasing student achievement.

Kay, I agree with your comment about challenging others to use e-learning to develop higher order thinking rather than as a replacement tool for traditional teaching methods.  That involves a huge shift in thinking for some teachers.

Katherine & Phil I also agree with your  comments  about the number of ‘initiatives’ that schools are trying to sustain at any one time.  We are currently focussing on the introduction of Ultranet and  e-Tap and they alone, require a huge amount of time and energy for many staff.  Prioritising is a real dilemma!

• Matthew Cooke (View all users posts) 08 Oct 2012 5:22pm ()

From my working with collegaues they have been 'crying out' for more gear which they believe is the key to supporting e-elearning.  Not sure how true this is.  I know Orewa College went ICT gear first (ipads) and then pedagogy second.  When purchasing gear, consider the needs of your staff.  How much access to gear does one teacher need?  What about Bring Your Own Devices?  How does that work with purchasing gear?  Do you have 'digital classes'?  Are they still needed?  Does the digital become your 'model' elearning class?  Does e-learning become a goal for Teachers in 2013?  How do we target professional development e-learning?  

I am always ineterested in research to support e-elearning that asks the question how e-learning supports student achievement?   e-learning can support student enegagement which one could assume supports learning.  e-learning can support collaboration and Maori and Pasifika student learning needs and CWSN.  

We owe it our students in a 21st Century learning environemt and the ubiquitous nature of elearning to ensure elearning happens in the classroom and students cn use it to connect, collaborate and  choose e-learning tolls and strategies to support their leanring and their next steps in learning.

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 16 Oct 2012 8:15am ()

Hi Matthew,

I'm glad it's been a useful process and it sounds like you have covered the bases very deliberately. You ask some pertinent question regarding the balance between the purchase of the technology and the staff professional learning. There needs to be time for staff to understand what tech can offer, so that they are able to make appropriate decisions re: its use. So some tech needs to come first, to allow time for play, for exploration….as always, the learning opportunities should be front of mind….and you are right that the advantages that tech offers are largely to do with how they enable effective pedagogies and new pathways through content.Smile

How do you plan to manage the balance between purchasing and professional learning?

• Yvonne Fenemor (View all users posts) 27 Oct 2012 7:15pm ()

We also have been investigating and trialing e-learning and BYOD in our school, and the framework has been timely. In some respects, I think you have to move forward in a cyclical nature, as represented on the first page of the document. But you also need to consider the five dimensions at the same time. Focusing on only one dimension at a time will not holistically plan for the future of our schools and students. So at present, we are investigating our technology requirements for the next 3-5 years, and trying to match them against curriculum demands; we have recently improved our infrastructure to incorporate campus-wide wireless accessibility; our PD focus for next year will be on e-learning (using an adaptation of the framework); we expect this to flow into the classroom with new ways of teaching and learning (in particular BYOD) and we continue to seek new ways of using technology as a support tool for our wider school community. All staff at school are aware that this is a focus for next year. They have been told that their focus is on professional learning, and on teaching and learning (what happens in the classroom); this will be included in every teacher’s appraisal. The ICT technical and management team will investigate the other areas in the plan and report back. I look forward to watching the plan unfold, and learning a lot along the way.

• Jude Young (View all users posts) 28 Oct 2012 1:42pm ()

Like you Yvonne our school has now got campus wide wireless capacity and we are now developing a 3-5 year strategic elearning plan for the college. BYOD is to be trialled next year with 2 classses at the Year 9 level. The buy in from staff has been limited because the pedagogy in behind this has not been fully discussed abd developed in a way that fits our curriculum.

We have utilised ICT as a must in appraisal for the last 3 years and MOODLE is now successfully up and running across all the curriculum. We have been on an ICT contract for the last 6 years and I think its a matter of consolidation for some staff members. I am hugely interesed in our strategic plan and we are going to deliver as a discusssion point where we see ourselves going with elearnung and how we as a school deliver our walk with our talk of being a 21st century school and how the ky competencies actually work through what we are doing. I guess this is an indirect check list at this stage or a foundation on where to start for all staff. 

• Matthew Cooke (View all users posts) 08 Oct 2012 5:01pm ()

I have  been using the elearning planning framework as a component of our elearning development at our school.  Beginning in July of this year, Karen Melhuish spent a few hours with our staff and 2 other contributing schools for our intermediate schools.  We have also completed the elearning planning framework with our staff to get a snapshot as to wehere we are at which will help inform future direction.  We have also completed the staff survey for elearning capability.  A strategic plan has been completed and presented to the BoT.  Staff had the opportunity for input.  The next steps are:

1.  Present elearning strategic plan to staff - feedbck

2.  e-earning planning framework to support elearing vision development

3.  Staff professional development as to how we can support elearning in our school

4. 2013 e-learning action plan

The webinar was very useful as well as it helped guide and consolidate much of my thoughts about the e-learning leadership.

• Kim Allan (View all users posts) 09 Oct 2012 2:53pm ()

How can principals and their schools use the framework to review and plan how the school will grow its capability to use ICTs as part of effective teaching and learning?

After watching the webinar from 5th September I have reflected on my current school context and the questions raised within the webinar. Our school based its 2012 priorities on student needs using data to inform, charter goals and ministry initiatives. We had completed the 3 year ICT contract at the end of 2011 and it was felt that staff needed a chance to consolidate the progress made over this time and to strengthen their practice of eLearning strategies.

E-learning is part of our 2012 strategic plan mostly in the form of integrating into teaching and learning. But then we have in existence an e-learning team who met regularly and are charged with sustaining the progress made during the contract years with both teachers and students by refining and innovating ideas. However, the team recognises that in order for e-Learning to be sustained within the school, the group needs to be inclusive. Therefore an open invitation was extended to members of the school to join. Also HOD’s were given the responsibility of incorporating e-learning ideas into their regular team meetings and sharing of good practice. To strengthen further, staff are expected to set a goal around e-learning in their appraisal. This aligns to the strategic goals and will be reported on in the annual plan. This allows HOD’s to monitor the expertise within their areas and use examples of good practice which will impact teaching and learning.

I like the point that Greg Carroll made about using the eLPF to narrow the focus of the inquiry not only at school-wide layer, but also by individual teachers to narrow down their personal inquires so as to meet the needs of their learners as well as their own needs as learners. I think our own e-learning team can make better use of the framework. It has been used with teachers as a survey in its matrix form. However, (thanks to Jennifer’s work) the survey could have been presented in a better format. Also, as discussed in the webinar, there was not time spent with staff preparing them with the language of the framework or orientating them to its ongoing purpose. Nor was there any feedback from the e-learning team once the survey was collated.

I think now is the perfect time for the e-learning team to pick this tool up again and use it in a much more strategic way. Staff have had a year to consolidate, now is the time to measure how much progress has been made by staff (and learners as a result), and where the school needs to move next. So how would I use the framework in my school? I would begin by reporting back the results of the earlier survey as baseline data. I would have the staff discuss the five dimensions in a more engaging way so a common understanding could begin to be formed. I would seek student voice to ascertain their thoughts on how e-learning is assisting them with their learning and what they see as their future needs. I would use this framework also to ensure that infrastructure is in place for 2013 when fibre is projected to be available to the school. By doing this thinking and planning work now staff will feel motivated and informed for moving forward next year and feel ready for the next insurgence of progress when students are able to do so much more due to improved capabilities, and so too can the teachers. The BOT is also an important stakeholder who would benefit from the work done using the eLPF to plan resourcing and set budgets for the coming year.

Roger, in response to your question on emerging school vision when a leader lacks e-learning knowledge and vision and whether they struggle with the feeling they are somewhat inadequate? I would expect a 21st Century leader to still be visionary in response to their school needs in terms of e-learning capabilities. If they don’t have the knowledge they need to seek it from within their school, or outside if appropriate. They need to be active learners with their staff. Be prepared to show their vulnerability and learn alongside the laggards of their school. Celebrate and model their new learning with, and in front of, staff.

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 16 Oct 2012 8:16am ()

Hi Kim,

you offer a reflective overview of where your school is at, and I applaud your honesty in sharing your story's downs as well as ups. The commitment to discussion around the framework to which you refer is crucial - often we don't know what we don't know - and the exploration of the framework and its langauge can be a powerful window into what might lie ahead, even if it is a long way down the track. I like the way you plan to include student voice in the pictureSmile - how will you do that, do you think?

• Sue Berry (View all users posts) 09 Oct 2012 4:44pm ()

How and why you might begin to review your vision and strategy for e-learning within your whole school curriculum?

If the e-Learning strategy and vision need revisiting the leadership of the school should have got a sense of this through its internal review and audit processes. For instance at the school where I work a number of processes carried out this year indicated that it was time to invest in a review of our vision and e-Learning Strategy. We had written one in 2010 and my principal openly admits it was written for an ERO visit rather than any sound educational reason. A raft of feedback data has been collected in 2012 that was indicating a need for change. These processes included:

• NZCER Workplace Survey,
    • Individual teacher planning sheets for 2013,
    • Senior Team Leadership strategic plan reflection and planning,
    • The Mid-year curriculum mapping review,
    • ICT PLG feed-forward.
    • Anecdotal comments by technicians and system managers

By trusting our systems we were able to collect this multi-tiered feedback data and use it as an initial impetus to drive the review. By responding we were seen to be listening to staff feedback about workload and the nature of their work. It also is about the timeliness of response. We approached it from a strategic view rather than reacting just because a staff member wants more mobile devices. This helped the staff to build trust and reliance in the school systems.

• Robyn Wood (View all users posts) 10 Oct 2012 5:21pm ()

I've spent much of today delving around the enabling e-learning leadership website as well as listening to the webinar and viewing other vimeo clips and have quickly come to the realisation that we have quite a lot of work  to do at our school to get up to speed with this all.  While we have seen the e-learning planning framework, we have never explored it and to be honest have ignored it!  Having listened to Dr Cheryl Doig's vimeo clip "Creating a Vision to Lead e-learning" and Edtalks Lyn Davie and Colin Warner's "Supporting the Integration of ICT for teaching and learning" some of the key things for our school are: 

1. actually sitting down as a leadership team and asking ourselves some of the really thought-provoking questions raised in the webinar e.g. How is e-learning part of our strategic plan for 2013?
    2. as we ask ourselves questions,  as a leadership team developing a shared picture of what our vision is, using the same language etc. - so that we as a leadership team are on the same page and hold the same expectations.  This will be particularly important for our school as we aim to stay as 'one' school rather than 3x separate schools i.e. junior, middle and senior syndicates
    3. ensuring that the pld focus for 2013 is based heavily on teaching and learning rather than about the technologies.  We as a school are very well resourced in technologies but have done very little professional thinking about the 5 dimesnions raised by the elpf and exploring how we use ICT for learning.  
    4. recognising that our teachers are all at different points in their journey and providing differentiated support for them as we collabortively move along the path of change.  At this stage a number of teachers are still at the point of using the very powerful tool of elearning but applying it to traditional methods.
    5. encourgaing staff to engage in learning communities to further challenge and expand their thinking as currently we have a very small number who do this.

I can see this could be an exciting journey for us.  The big thing will be leading the change in such as way that everybody feels supported to ensure the transformation to occur.  I'm looking forward to reading the various contributions to this korero.

• Phil Wainwright (View all users posts) 13 Oct 2012 1:02pm ()

Going to Tessa's breakout at the U-Learn conference in Auckland was really helpful.  Highlighting the rubrics and e-learning strands in the staffroom was good advice.  The practical ways to apply the strategy with the staff was helpful too.  I now need to compete for PD time straight away at the school and follow up.  Thanks Tessa.  It was really useful.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 14 Oct 2012 8:34pm ()

Thank you Phil, it's always useful to know if the workshop material if useful or not.

I have to 'shout out' a big thank you to Suzie Vesper and Kathe Tawhiwhirangi-Perry for their resources - and especially to Kathe, for popping in on Friday and walking us through another practical strategy to use with staff. 

The content (links, movies, strategies, templates) for both Ulearn workshops can be found @ /pages/view/726989/diving-into-the-e-learning-planning-framework-ulearn

Tess Smile

• Andrew Hardie (View all users posts) 14 Oct 2012 7:55am ()

My school has had a dedicated and hardworking ICT Team for the last 5+ years. A lot of this group’s focus has been on trouble shooting, insuring the correct infrastructure or introducing new services to teachers (e-tap, ultranet).  They have not always been able to focus on listening to the needs of teachers and learners in the first instance. Whilst I can see that they have made good progress towards the 5 dimensions (outlined in the e-LPF) this seems to be by chance more than good planning.

It is of course true that the advent of the iPad has eliminated a lot of the time spent maintaining the previously used laptop or computer on a trolley. The team has been able to spend the last couple of terms investigating programmes that enhance student learning.

The introduction of the e-LPF is very timely and will a great tool to support our future direction.

Revisiting Derek Wenmouth’s keynote presentation at the Auckland Hui supports this process, in line with the e-learning framework. Instead of Infrastructure driving our ICT spending, we should allow Teaching and learning to be the driving force behind decisions we make. http://www.slideshare.net/dwenmoth/21st-century-learning-the-imperative

• Sue Berry (View all users posts) 15 Oct 2012 2:18pm ()

For our school over the last 6 months we have had to consider the following challenges/opportunities when thinking about our eLearning strategy:

• Postitive Behaviour 4 Learning and SchoolWide Information System,
    • Overall Teacher Judgements demands by the MOE
    • Learning with No Barriers,
    • Specialist Service Provider Review
    • MOE Occupational Therapy/Physical Therapy Review of Barriers for Students with Special Needs
    • Development of a new 10YPP
    • Staff involved in a research project with University of Auckland where most of the organization and teacher feedback is digital and online
    • BOT and Administration training by the MOE and NZSTA is through webinars
    • Ultranet, and the development of parent portals
    • Ultra Fast Broadband

How we as a school operated 3 years ago is quite different from how we will operate in the next 12 months. A key role of the leadership team is to scan the educational horizon for threats, and opportunities that might impact upon their school. It has been said that a principal’s role is to make sense of the muddle and to articulate the vision amidst all of this.

• Nane (View all users posts) 17 Oct 2012 10:05pm ()

Next year we want to develop new pedagogy for developing 21st century learning skills with a vision of transforming the way we drive teaching and learning in our school. In terms of where we start has been an ongoing discussion at the moment and it not quite at a stage where we know what all this might ‘look like’ for our learning community.  At the moment we are working within a framework that encapsulates 4 key learning dimensions and under each of these it is planned that components of e-learning skills and innovative use of ICT will be integrated across the 4 dimensions. It all sounds good in theory however, as others have discussed there are a number of areas that need to be ‘ironed out’ and one of them is ensuring we have an effective network system running. As a school I can find the framework will be useful. Capacity building and identifying effective pedagogy that provides opportunities for developing 21st century skills requires a more holistic approach for transforming the learning experiences of the learners. The framework provides a clear pathway of how to get where you want to go. We would use the plan for guiding our e-learning strategic plan and infrastructure. What I like about the framework is that it provides a reality check particularly in terms of what it takes to build an e-learning capability within our school.

• David Grant (View all users posts) 19 Oct 2012 3:38pm ()

How we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world

With ICT and E-learning having such an important emphasis is schools the e-Learning Planning Framework grounds a school. Often in schools one dimension is developed without consideration to other dimensions. This can happen for a number of reasons e.g. Infrastructure doesn’t meet the PD needs, finance, PD to the wrong people, the leaders of the school are not involved in e-learning and as Sue Berry mentioned visions and strategies written before ERO visits. If we don’t have an even approach all the enthusiasm in the world will still not mean successful outcomes for pupils.

I like how Karen Melhuish decribes the framework as a roadmap and not to be used for accountability. I can see how by plotting where you are at you can clearly see where you are at (some just guess where they are at) and what the next steps in each dimension might be. Keeping the balance I think would be the hardest area as schools have to cope with multiple changes especially with technology. I agree with Robyn Wood that the emphasis still has to be on teaching and learning and not technology.

We have focus groups in our school one of which is ICT based and my next step is to introduce this to them as a roadmap tool for our school.  

I would be interested in knowing of a school in the Canterbury region that is operating consistently in the extending and empowering dimensions.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.