Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Teresa Burn (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 7:50pm ()

There is a lot of tension around the amount of investment that schools require to have good e-learning happening - financial in terms of hardware / software and human resources and PD.

The framework puts learning at the centre and allows schools to make discerning choices about the way forward.  It does not provide answers but guides decision making. 

We have been trialing BYOD at school - as well as some small trials using goodle docs / twitter and ipads.  The framework is great for planning the way forward - but there is also still a place for just getting in there and trying things out.  We are trying to balance the two.

• Trevor Proctor (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 8:03pm ()

It's always good to have a plan and the e learning plan certainly has apects of it that seem great. However, it is just a plan and it needs to be driven from each school and hopefully in clusters of schools that can cache their respective knowledge to build an ongoing scheme of work, building digital knowledge and use throughout the school, from children through to leadership. I would think the place to start would be those interested in IT and along with all learning, it needs to be driven at a pace that energises all learners. I am reminded of the ACOT programme brought in by Apple about 15 years ago, similar although less detailed system. With that, I believe it was found that after 3 years on the ICT projects, people actually moved one level from say engaging to extending, or emerging to engaging. My staff have just been on an IT course today and there were teachers there that didnt know how to switch on an ipad - that about sums it up really!

• David Grant (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 9:17pm ()

what does this exploring of e-learning mean for you as leaders? What have you learned - and what might you do differently next year?

Exploring elearning for me means the ability to keep things in perspective. Because elearning and ICT is limitless, as leaders we have to be really focused on our school's vision and be able to pick teams of teachers, equipment and systems that lead us along the most appropriate paths ( I don't think there is a single correct path for any school) . We have to know where we are on the paths and this is where the framework becomes essential. We also have to be able to change the direction of the path at times. We must use the framewok to keep focused on the learning outcomes and achievement  targets we set.

What I think I will do differently next year is ask this question  of staff "Where are we on the framework and is where we are taking us in the vision of the school and student achievment targets?"

• nick julian (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 9:53pm ()

Kia ora tatou

Our school has been on, what seems a very long journey of e-learning. From having minimal ICT 6 years ago, to slowly developing the number of classroom computers, planning and assessment completed on line, starting blogs, using the school website more frequently, introducing wireless, data-projectors, cameras and video cameras and finally this year having - over half the classes with Interactive Whiteboards, 20 COWS, classroom laptops, wireless over the entire school and hopefully faster broadband throughout the school by early next year.

So the infrastructure is now much better. Numerous lessons were learnt along the way.

1. What ICT tools did we need?

2. How did we want to use them?

3. Where was the money going to come from?

4. Did we need to change the infrastructure within the school?

5. Where did we consider the biggest priority within the school?

6. What was the current capability on staff?

7. What PD needed to be put in place for teachers?

8. How are teachers going to use e-learning to support, engage and empower learning

It is interested to read about the E-learning framework and the many aspects schools should be looking into and developing. I think e-learning beyond the classroom and how we use e-learning within the community is an aspect that is important.

Opening the world to students to plan and develop their learning pathways- accessing information from Skype, blogs, and goggle apps- is an important step towards becoming lifelong learners. Being able to bring parents and whanau into the students learning, to support, show an interest and learn themselves, can enrich the process. It can also give the parents and whanau an opportunity to understand learning steps and pathways of students on a regular basis. 

Having buy-in from staff is very important, also having a supportive environment, where sharing and dialogue is encouraged helps growing the professional capabilities of the staff. We are probably at the initial phase of the framework- it is important work out how best cater to the learning needs of the students and improve student achievement through the technology.

• Robyn Malcolm (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 9:57pm ()

I really enjoyed watching the webinar too.  I will admit to being a little scared by the framework initally but now feel excited about the opportunities to work with staff to unpack this further in my school in 2013. 

I had felt that we were way behind other schools with e-learning so it has been refreshing to hear that we are not alone on our journey!!  I plan on putting together a team of teachers to work with in 2013 to develop our strategic plan for elearning, this tool will be invaluable as we work through the process. 

I am looking forward to having a good look at all the other resources that were shared. 

• Anne-Marie Bullock (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 10:42am ()

I have listened to a recording of the the e-learning webinar. It was a stimulating and thought provoking seminar. Another resource to share with colleagues. My ICT capability is growing the second webinar in 48 hours Kiss.

• Marcia Ferguson (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 10:46am ()

Some interesting reading on here - I always enjoy hearing about other people's journeys and steps they have taken/will be taking.

We have been on a journey for the past couple of years, looking at using a tool for e-oprtfolios, blogging etc.  One of the most interesting things for me to see as a member of the lead team for this has been watching some people leap on board and running with it and also seeing the tail end charlie's who simply see things as extra work.   One error that I think we made at the start was having the leadership team running with it when it would have been good to bring on at least one person that we knew would be reluctant.  For some staff it is the fear of what they don't know.  It has also been interesting to see how things spread - the teachers that are passionate about this have their students accessing class pages and extending their learning outside the walls of the classroom; whereas students from the classes with relunctant teachers don't access their class page or e-portfolio.

For me this has really emphasised the importance of having everyone on board  - or at least supporting the change.  For our next steps, we need to look at how we can simplify the process we are using to ensure that it is more user friendly; probably get the buddy system up and running again and make sure that everyone has remembered what they expectations are.  I think there is a fine line between supporting people with change and molly coddling them.  

• Simon Kenny (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 11:43am ()

My worry with some of the e-learning initiatives and technology opportunities for kids is that they suck all of the fun out of technology. I-pads, interactive boards, smartphones, video games and PC's all draw our students and staff in because they are fun and engaging. I think there is a real danger out there with some e-education that the boundaries and constrants teachers and leaders put on tech actually stifle the kind of thinking and learning we are trying to promote. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and at times we use technology in ways that are actually counter productive to collaboration. I have been to many learning opportunities were a "Google Doc" is set up and shared. The actual need to actively contribute is gone. I know I will get quaility notes - very thorough with hyperlinks, pictures etc. And I can just sit back and relax Surprised Kids will do this if given the opportunity to. Again it comes down to purpose. We need to use these tools in a way that promote an intended outcome. Just because Google Docs (which I love BTW) is a tool that allows collaboration does not mean it will simply happen. In fact the can also provide the exact opposite - One writer - 5 daydreamers who may or may not check the notes at a further stage. E - Learning = Fantastic, all for it, but it needs to be well thought out, and purposeful for those undertaking it. Accountability needs to be addressed. Oh....and did I mention it should be fun??!!!Innocent

• BecPower (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 2:33pm ()

Our school is already using an effective school developed Strategic Plan for e-Learning, however we plan to review it, using the e-Learning Planning Framework in 2013.  When I looked through the enabling elearning website on TKI, I was excited to see two resources from the teachers at our school on there! Under 'Teaching' there is a link to Kellie McRoberts work with the e-Competencies, and under 'Professional Learning' there is a link to our schools learning on the Learning Without Limits series run by the Ministry of Education.  

I look forward to the review next year, as I believe it will be an excellent learning opportunity for the entire staff, and will certainly begin paving our next way forward as a team.  

• Ben Laybourn (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 6:50pm ()

Current at school we have developed a plan and a process for e-learning. We have used this tool to help shape the plan and aim for a clear result in terms of e-learning . What we need to do is use this tool with the whole staff.  A lot of our planning and prep has been done by SMT and committee and that means we don’t have buy in from all the staff.  This framework is fantastic for helping whole staff to see the vision of e-learning.  At the moment our staff see our e-learning platform as unreliable.  This is a simple fact that we need to get out infrastructure right. 

We are not approaching this as an inquiry; we are simply approaching this as something we need to do to keep up.   This may be the wrong approach but in reality to be competitive and aligned with current educational practises and to keep students engaged with learning we need to use the tools available.  This tool and the resources around it are very useful to help make the frame  of reference very clear to teachers and students. 

The greatest obstacle to this change is the barriers in my own and other teachers’ heads, not the students!!  The greatest challenge to school leaders is the aging population of teachers who are not technologically savy or connected. 

This Whole NAPP programme has challenged many of us with the use of e-environments, and we are the shape shifted and educational change agents for our schools.  Tools like this will be very useful to shape our thinking and shift the thinking of others.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.