Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Aloma Williams (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 12:45pm ()

I think this an awesome tool for schools, particularly those with limited experience in e-learning. I think it is also a step in the right direction in terms of bringing schools together in the development of an e-learning environment and culture. My first involvement with e-learning was about 5 years ago when I was the syndicate leader of a "digital" syndicate. It was a steep learning curve, we were setting up the syndicate from scratch, we had a healthy but lets be honest not ideal budget and but we managed to set up each of the three classes with interactive whiteboards, a bank of 10 lap tops and 5 desk tops.  To be honest at the start we were very much making it up as we went along!!

We had other issues also, students applied to be in the digital classes (there was no cost) and we found ourselves with a 1:3 ratio of girls to boys. That brought it's own challenges and a whole shift in pedogogical thinking. 

We were very successful, so much so that the whole school adopted our philosophies and approaches the following year. 

Since then, my involvement in ICT has grown and grown. I believe that the framework sensibly encompases all aspects a school needs to take into account when embarking on change and in particualt change around encompassing ICTs. I like the 4 phases, it enables self reflection and gives a clear framework within which to move forward.

The message i am currently trying to give in my new school is that e-learning is about more than "using computers to do work". It is about giving students choices, about communicating and collaborating on a wealth of ideas. About problem solving and developing intuition. Looking at this frameowrk, i can see how i have jumped the gun , my vision of empowering being too far ahead and too confusing for staff who are "emerging".  

After giving myself a bit of a slap on the wrist will certainly be taking the framework to school and looking carefully at the where to with our school. I can see much more clearly how we can move forward, and the mountain does not seem so big.

• Grant Dick (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 9:41pm ()

thanks for the links Karen, I am attempting to expose a number of staff to elearning, mainly through our teaching and learning committee, I think true exposure comes when there is a 'have to' aspect to the process, and at this satge we are just at the 'here give this a go' and really only the early adopters are buying in. I have set up a group and asked for people to leave posts. Have also left important info on a google doc, with the committee members having access, but still have limited response.

• Cleonie Whyte (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 9:47pm ()

We are also a low decile school and we most of our parents can not afford the internet or computers in their homes.  We are a apple school and we don't have a lot of money to spend on ICT.  However over the past few years we have managed to put data projectors into all the classes and we have purchased all the exlease teacher laptops.  We also have at least four apple mac computers in each classroom.  We have just recently purchased two Ipads for the children to share.  We have 140 children in our school and we cope quite well.  We have been on the ICT contract and we have tried setting up wiki pages for our own classes - we also have had some classes start their own blogs.  Also last year we spent quite a bit of money on setting up a parent portal through Etap - our SMS system, to enable parents to view their children's assessment and behaviour notes as well as notices for the school.  This didn't work - after a lot of advertising and meeting with parents to show them how it all worked - it never got off the ground.  We put it down to no computers in the homes. Then we decided to set up a facebook page - and that really took off.  Makes you think doesn't it.

We would love to engage in E-learning to enable our tamariki to become more lifetime learners - however we would have to first up skill our staff through PD.  I believe that you don't need all the bells and whistles to teach children ICt - just the passion and belief.

• Robyn Wood (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 10:03pm ()

The elearning / ICT journey one has been a very interesting one for our school.  We have a small but growing number of staff who are passionate about elearning and feed off each other, learning networks, social media etc and then we have the polar opposite end of the spectrum where we have staff who everytime something unusual happens to them on a computer they are terrified that they have 'done something wrong' and walk away from it because it is too hard.  I agree with Cleonie that it isn't about the bells and whistles and up until recently a number of our staff have possibly only really seen technology as being a whole lot of gimmicks and becuase of this, I think they have shied away, however we have done a lot of professional learning around 'pedadgogy' this year and for some, connections to elearning are now being made - i.e. they are begining to see the PURPOSE for using the technology.    This is an exciting development and it is now leading to discussions about how we use the different devices (we are very fortunate to have a large number of different devices) and what would be the best way to resource classes - even considering dismantling our 'i-suite'.  I have referred to this talk by Karen in an earlier post, however it is now on line and I think it is a very powerful one not only to challenge classroom teachers about their practice but also leadership teams in terms of the way professional learning development is carried out in a school.  It is on our agenda for 2013.

http://www.edtalks.org/video/making-most-online-learning#.UKCWuOPZ9iF

• Esther Geerlings (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 11:24pm ()

This frame work is fantastic!!!  Talk about getting a kick start for our schools ICT inquiry next year.  What wonderful documents to support the necesary learning conversations that need to happen between staff. What a clear way to embark on leading change.  Our school has a laptop for every child in our three small student teacher ratio classrooms.  I was told repeatedly when I arrived that there was a lap top for every child and I read in the charter that our school lead the way in ICT, how ever, for the most part I saw children playing with widgets, playing with screen savers, leaving lap tops on the ground and barely being able to turn out a document as students still spent time playing with fonts!  A very hard culture to change with children, none the less we are getting there.  Quite frankly I don't want to see our school spend any more on devices until the ict we have available is being used to empower learning and my aim is to get this happening before the existing equipment is obsolete!  ICT integration and development is hard to sustain with a small staff that has a high turn over so I would like to look at reviewing the way leadership assures the e-learning planning framework is supported by the school when people leave, shared knowledge has to be a key.  I think the framework will also enable teachers to have a voice, because it's like with anything, you don't know what you don't know.  If they can identify with a place on the rubric they can be valued for where they are at and find those next learning steps.  I can't wait to share this with our staff.  I would also use the planning frame work before the summer holidays, so that teachers who finally have some form of spare time can have a play in the holidays with their next learning steps in mind and arrive at school in the new year with some confidence that they can support the schools direction for ICT development.  Equipment could be dished out to each staff member with one of the five elements to explore and report back on how their device encourages movement in this area.

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 10:26am ()

Warning! BIG post alert...so maybe grab a coffee first?!

As we come towards the end of this month, and the NAPP course, I'd like to reflect for a moment on this kōrero from an online community perspective.

Some indicative stats (for those of you who like this kind of thing..);

To date, this kōrero has:

• 243 posts [much higher than a thread in which people only post voluntarily]
    • 4019 page views, with 2353 of them unique views [i.e. new people coming in and viewing for the first time. The next most popular thread is also a NAPP one, but with half the amount of traffic.
    • Two hour-long workshops recordings archived and downloaded multiple times
    • Many pages of reflection that are public and available to anyone with an interest
    • Corresponding resources in Enabling e-Learning on TKI have seen a peak in use, with the ePF videos one of the most viewed on the site.

So what?

The stats partly reflect the fact that posting is a requirement of the NAPP course (particularly the rise in posts towards the deadline!;-). But it also reflects the fact that this NAPP kōrero is open - the large amount of traffic is not just coming from NAPP, and so that points to the way your conversation is adding value for others beyond the edge of the course.

This kind of activity has provided:

• opportunity for reflection and connection - the visibility of profiles allow you to talk to each other, especially when you see your stories and experiences offer learning opportunities
    • a resource for others in the same boat
    • a platform for on which you can build for next year
    • a model, often, for how a thread can build on experiences
    • at its most successful it has been a conversation between colleagues geographically isolated but united around a common concern - networked learning in action.

While there is the constraint of many people posting to fulfil a course requirement (completing homework!), many others have taken the opportunity to engage purposefully in the experience.

And still more key e-learning issues/themes emerging from you all:

Any new initiative, like BYOD, needs to be clearly aligned with vision and strategy.

BYOD, for example, is a fabulous opportunity for us to be able to redesign learning so that it is personalised, differentiated, inclusive and allows all students to access the curriculum for a position of strength. That is a key purpose of BYOD. It ought to be a manifestation of a curriculum vision for learners.

Consider the kinds of vision, curriculum, PD, planning, collaboration and review that might be needed to support a culture shift in this direction. It is essentially a shift in teacher practice - no small matter. The value of a shared vision (so as not to be at the mercy of the squeaky wheel or the latest hype) is vital.

How do we know where we are on the framework?

Many schools, the first time they use the framework, place themselves much higher up the framework than might be expected. It's wise to ensure that real evidence and data is used to make decisions, rather than gut instinct. 

Use the framework iteratively, to keep checking in and inquiring into progress. Ensure the strategic plan is transparent. We don't always know what we need to know. Conversations like this one can help break down school walls so we can begin to see how our experiences compare and contrast with others. Stay connected, even after the course, to ensure you keep your heads above that school wall and eyes on what the world around us is up to.  

I was looking recently at how well SAMR (Puentedura's model of tech integration - see image) to which several of you have referred) aligns with the framework and the answer is - pretty well. A number of frameworks were used to inform our NZ one; I would, for example, see the 'substitution' phase of SAMR as being one characteristic of the 'Emerging' phase. 

Effective change for adults is more than 'buy-in'

Joan Dalton and David Anderson, (Learning Talk), talk about the phrase 'buy-in' and how it implies that we are trying to 'sell' an idea to someone. They argue that meaningful conversation that involves people 'where they are at' doesn't require a 'sell', but an open exchange of ideas, deliberately finding out and acknowledging where people are in their learning / feelings. There has been a lot of discussion about how we enable staff to make change - some of the most useful comments have talked about personalising the learning for staff, as we would for students.

But the biggest issue of all, of course, is what does this exploring of e-learning mean for you as leaders? What have you learned - and what might you do differently next year?

• Megan Gallagher (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 10:53pm ()

Thanks for the stats and challenges posed... the big questions... what does this exploration meant for you as a leader? 

-there is a framework to help us with dialogue- that there are many of us on the pathway and exploring so we are not alone, there are great places like here to get resources, ask questions and share practice- that e-learning is focussed on learning not tools and making sure all who are working along this with us remember that... making sure we don't get carried away with the toys :) 

I love the reminders about the importance of working with people as they develop competence and confidence... I have already shared some thoughts with my colleagues who occasionally get frustrated with some members of our team that are struggling with a new online system we are using... reminding them of the learning process and that our educators are learners too... 

What might I do differently? 
    - stay positive - get involved in our digital strategy discussions - keep playing and be patient for those who are not ready to play yet - have more learning conversations where I talk MUCH less and listen MUCH more - keep my sense of humour and keep championing the need to respect all learners and the processes they need to go through. We are reviewing our training programme and as I am leading this I am keen to look at online tools that may help us communicate and learn and connect to improve our ongoign training processes, then start with our newest employees. Working with a smaller group of interested educators to develop this strategy will be important and shared leadership is an area that I know I really need to do better with. 

• Vanessa (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 2:11pm ()

These questions popped up while attending ulearn this year with my principal and 3 other teachers form our school…

What is our strategic direction for the school in e-learning?

Can we confidently say e-learning tools are used in all classrooms?

How do we measure the effectiveness of e-learning tools?

Are we making effective choices when deciding on e-learning spending?

This focus of the elpf is perfect timing. Our group have read through the document, had a huge panic about how far off the mark we have been and realised that focusing on resourcing has not got us anywhere! Our strategic plan and annual plan lacks e-learning detail and several aspects of the 5 dimensions are missing. 

It was originally suggested this small team meet and develop a strategic plan ourselves to take back to staff because not everyone will be interested and there are no staff meetings left to do this in. I am arguing against this as I think it is important this review and development is done together. Everyone needs to be involved so everyone realises we all have a part to play in this.  We need to discuss the 5 dimensions and begin a review to establish where we are. I think the example of a possible approach to using the framework is particularly useful.

We need to create a shared vision for e-learning in our school. As Dr Cheryl Doig said we need to be looking for powerful ways to use e-learning.

I am also grateful for the links to the excellent online discussions, edtalks, websites that fill your head with the possibilities. Tessa thank you for all your helpful posts and links it has broadened my understanding and given me useful discussion starters to use with the team.

I am excited that we are beginning on this development but am also aware of the challenges this will present, as some staff will be resistant. We need to be mindful of this and ensure we provide all necessary supports. I do think though that if there are teachers that really dig their toes in about e-learning development then they need to decide if teaching is still the right career for them - the linking of elpf with the RTC is helpful...Smile

• Kathleen OHare (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 3:05pm ()

Like many before me have already stated - 'great timing and excellent tools'. 

We had put in our school strategic goals for next year -'implement e-portfolios for all students'  Looking through the "How might you use the framework?" document and the e-LPF I think we need to look at how we can achieve this strategic goal better and 'cleverer'.  The framework will help us build a better picture of where we are at and help us to develop of framework that is achievable and with practical steps.

I think we have put e-learning to the side because of other priorities and the timely arrival of the framework could be an excellent motivator in getting the ball rolling.  

Karen's advice as using the e-learning plan as part of a teacher inquiry cycle has definitely given me food for thought.

• Aina Masin (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 4:26pm ()

Our school is currently finding new and innovative ways of implementing e-learning into our programmes and this framework definitely helps grow the e-learning capability of our learning community.  

We have had an opportunity to work with a group, Computer in Homes.  Now this partnership has helped our school to upskill our students parents giving them the skills when using ict, empowering them, their confidence and their ability to take ownership with their learning.  

What I do like about the Leadership and strategic direction table, it clearly outlines the schools vision where e-learning is integrated and I think that if school were to use this table to create, change and have 'authorship' aligning this with their own schools e - learning direction then 'ownership' of the initiative would be one that is shared.  

• Zac Anderson (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 5:51pm ()

I agree with the comments from Simon...

As others have said, there are financial and accessibility constraints to deal with. I have been in our College for six months; it is a decile 2, semi-isolated school, 7-13. Less than 40% of our homes have computers (data 2011), there are 12 computers in the local library, but we do have two 'computer suites' in the College which are over-used. There is one 'COW' for 6 Year 7/8 home rooms, as well as small ‘pods’ of desktops around the classrooms. Our non-teaching IT guy is excellent, but not always on our site. The network seems to be OK, but there's no designated teacher in charge of overall school ICT use, let alone a senior leader charged with the task of implementing investigations and presenting innovative thinking around how e-learning may look in the future for our students. That being said, the amount of times I deal with issues that stem from Facebook bullying and harassment makes me wonder that indeed their phones can be utilised in other ways! But let's not use that as an excuse. I am keen to take this framework to our next SLT meeting to discuss how we might simply move from 'pre-emerging' to analysis of how we might fit into the 'emerging' category. One step at a time – many thanks for the inspirational tool!

• Teresa Burn (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 7:53pm ()

Hi Zac,

Throughout the posts there is a lot of comment made about "ICT poeple" as knowledgeable people about hardware /software and very little comment about experts in digital citizenship.  This definitely redressing in our school and I suspect many others.

• Zac Anderson (View all users posts) 14 Nov 2012 7:40am ()

Agreed - the term digital citizenship is one we're trying to develop for our students, yet as has been stated, we grew up in an educational system that didn't teach us the meaning of this. I feel some good old traditional PD is required... what is digital citizenship?  How does it already look, feel and sound like at our College?  Is that enough?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.