Search

The e-Learning Planning Framework - how and why to use it | NAPP Kōrero 16

Started by Karen Spencer 31 Jul 2012 9:14pm () Replies (309)

NAPP logoHaere mai to all NAPP akonga! Welcome to the Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group, and to this kōrero, exploring how we might use the e-Learning Planning Framework to help our schools develop future-focused learning for a digital world. On behalf of the Blended e-Learning team and our wider community, I hope you'll enjoy rich discussion over the coming weeks.Laughing

How do you know what your school needs, in terms of using ICTs for effective learning? Where do you start to plan?

The e-Learning Planning Framework (English-medium), developed by Te Toi Tupu on behalf of the Ministry of Education, offers a roadmap to

• support schools to review where they are, 
  • prioritise where they might go next, and 
  • plan the steps to get there.

The framework is supported by examples and resources for leaders and teachers, not least of which is the Enabling e-Learning hub on TKI and the VLN.  Have a look at this video below that unpacks the key ideas, and browse the links above.

What aspects of the framework look useful for your school - and why? How might you use it for planning?

Replies

• Jan Burn (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 11:31am ()

It has been great reading all the discussion here. My school has completed an ICT contract and has made some good beginnings with interactive boards and pods of notebooks being well used in  both seniors and juniors.We are at the stage of where to now and also realising that this area of teaching and learning while exciting and innovative is also daunting. Like some of you have already said this tool will give us a better way forward and help provide along term vision. As yet we have not used it but i have gained some good insight from this discussion as to how best to procede with it - many thanks

The BYOD will also pose to be an interesting area for us to think about as we are  decile 4 with many who struggle to pay their school fees but  I would like to see us try this  as many of our children have cell phones etc but not so many have access to computers. I like the idea of beginning with the year 7 & 8 and  consulting parents. I wonder though if schools who have started  BYOD have had any problems with cyber bullying - as currently this is an issue for us.  Maybe by having  BYOD at school we could help teach reaponsibility in this area more effectively ? Just a thought.

• Alison Slater (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 1:11pm ()

I am part of the ICT committee at our school. Part of the strategic plan is to wireless the school and implement BYOD. We started this journey before the ELPF was available but it has helped to reinforce the need for a strong school wide vision and getting good staff buy in. It has been good to read others comment that it is about the learning and not the tools. In other words, use of ICT must be for sound pedagogical reasons. I recall some of the comments the students made at the Hui at the start of the year to the effect  that just sitting them in front of comuters isnt teaching. One of my own colleagues hit the nail on the head when he said "what are the students actually going to do on their devices?" We have gone some way towards this by trialling netbooks in some classes this year with the intention that best practice will be shared. There have been comments also about how to deal with the diversity of skills and willingness to up-skill among staff. Even within my own dept I have this. I will be setting manageable goals for upskilling using the strengths and knowledge of staff who are much further down the track than others. I think keeping it simple is the key so as not to alienate and switch people off altogether by making them feel as if they are too far behind. Staff need to understand the importance of  ICT to enhance teaching and learning and need to be supported to increase their own confidence and competence engaging with the tools available. In conclusion, many thanks for the webinar held recently. The discussion was interesting and provided access to many additional rsources. Thank you.

• Andrea Mertens (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 2:41pm ()

Hi Alison

I agree with your comments about the technology being a tool to enhance teaching.the technologydoes not replace teaching but it can help with the dispensing of knowledge and the teacher can focus on the application of the learning and the extension of their understanding. My school is at the emerging and engaging phase  where some trialling of devices and upskilling of staff has begun. This has happened, like at your school without the use of the ELPF and the framework will now be very useful to guide the way forward. Andrea

PS could you send me your email address, I'd like to ask you a couple of questions. Andrea.peter.sam@hotmail.co.nz

• Megan Gallagher (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 5:37pm ()

We are in the process of reviewing our whole organisation and looking at our digital strategy... this framework actually fits nicely in some of our conversations. The changing landscape in schools and the variety of stages and types of implementation means that what we do and offer needs to be really fluid. Planning ahead also needs to allow that scope... as an example, a couple of years back BYOD was a no-no, now that is not the case obviously. 

I agree that having a pedagogical base for using ICT is essential, especially in getting staff buy in. A few years ago I bought in a WIKI for our team to use as we are spread throughout the country... everyone agreed it was a good idea but uptake in use was painfully slow. I did an exercise at one stage, largely out of frustration, where I asked them to describe how they felt about WIKI as a tool... we got statements like scared, frustrated, excited, nervous etc. As we went through the conversation the lightbulb moment hit... this is what learning something new and strange can feel like for any learner. Through the open dialogue the uptake increased, albeit not as fast as I wanted but it did change and now is part of what we do. It was important that I slowed down and recognised the need for my team to have time to do small things first and see the benefit for them in their work... I am now applying this learning in the way I am introducing google docs- slowly engaging with the early adopters, seeing if it works for us and if so creating success stories then take it out to the group. 

We have been implementing new online systems requiring data input and with the ability to analyse information etc... as you state Alison skill sets are diverse and we are now looking at how we address this in our PLD programme for 2013. 

• Danelle Unuwai (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 3:00pm ()

Kia ora tatou, I am late to this discussion, however will add my 5 c worth.

I think the elarning framework template is a helpful tool to help schools see where they are and where they are going to in regards to elearning. We are looking into developing our elearning capacity further at our school but are in the process of rebuilding the physical elements of internet access and the infastructure of our school.

This has a big effect on what PD we use and how we are adminstering assessment tools such as easstle..the planning framework will also help Principals and school leaders see where they would add this into your 5 and 10 year plans. 

I have read through previous posts, thank you all for your insights and sharing experiences. 

• Tania Parekura (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 7:00pm ()

I have throughly enjoyed reading posts in this Korero and it best fits with my Inquiry.  This one has certainly been one that I have a lot of interest in.  It is very timely for me to get on top of what is happening as far as e-Learning and will really help our school strive forward to meet our strategic plan and goals for the future years.  The eLPF is fantastic and I have already shared many ideas with our Principal regarding our school direction in this area using the framework as guidance.  I really enjoyed the reading 'Rich ICT learning experiences: What do they look like? by Tessa Gray ' for me it helped provide a deeper understanding and will use a lot of this as a checklist for our future focus within our school.  I am excited by this!!!Wink

• Chris THEOBALD (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 11:01pm ()

Kia ora tatou,

i have also joined this Korero very late in the piece, but have ahad a skim through many of the posts and have been interested (but unsurprised) to see the variance with which schools are at on their learning journey through IT E learning integration.

Our school is looking at our strategic plan at the moment and i personally (1/2 of our mgmnt team) havent had a look at the eLPF at all. Which is a huge issue - this seems to be an excellent resourse and maybe it isnt the exact forum here to discuss, but how should Principals and school management keep on top of everything that is going on while still being in touch with their staff, students, currciulum, accounts, community, etc... The list goes on. And for the schools who have not prioritised elearning, or who have simply shelved the emails and correspondence about the eLPF, what are the monitoring mechanisms to ensure that schools and students are getting access to the reosources that are out there? I know ERO may look for the eLPF or some variation within a school, but it would also be good to have an audit process of some sort to make sure that principals and schools and utilising the expertise that is contained within such sites as the elearning leadership community.

Back on topic now - The aspects of the framework that look positive for me an dour school currently

1. Knowing the eLPF exists. a great start
    2. Integrating all components from, staff PD, to community relationships etc, integrating e learning throughout these aspects of school life is central to success in my belief.
    3. I find the Emerging, Engaging, Extending, Empowering process great in that the pdf provides a pathway - what are we  doing this for - what is the end game? I found it interesting to see where i may be sitting within a few elements now and where i could be aiming. Often i found myself in the engaging phase and thought that was enough, however with the elpf i can progress.
    Hopefully this has been of some interest to someone / anyone still reading the post thread. 
    Thanks to those who have worked on this resource, i hope to be able to use it in real life context at some stage in the near future.

Nga mihi

Chris Theobald

• Sharyn Afu (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2012 11:15pm ()

Sharyn Afu- Korero 16 e- learning

We are currently in the emergent/emerging stage.  We are a new school opening next year, we are currently been fitted as a wireless school.  We are currently spending time upskilling ourselves and sharing new IT tools, ideas as we head towards the opening.  Sharing and talking about great apps to use, considering the use of such things as twitter and Facebook, and making a number of decisions based on our discussions with each other, others comments uses have made, other schools etc.

We made sure that the new staff we appointed had a degree of skill and were comfortable using a number of technologies.  This is largely due to the fact that we will be a BYOD school from Years 1 – 8.  The e-framework is going to be helpful for us in a number of areas, which we are grateful for.  Like you we have visited a number of schools including some in Melbourne who are BYOD schools and I feel more comfortable with this now.  We will also provide enough tools for those that don’t wish or can’t afford to purchase devices. 

It is essential for us that parents and caregivers be fully involved in the process and our school as none of them would have learnt in a BYOD school.  This will be cause for PD and running workshops that they can opt into to upskill themselves.  Some whole family sessions of learning and sharing and upskilling will be done too.  I believe the more open you are with parents and the more they see what a school is trying to do, the better off we will be.

I think it is like the journey of Inquiry should we use solo?  should we not?  Should we use Michael Pohl's theory or someone elses?  Should we do personalised inquiry, passion project whole class inquiry what?  I feel IT is the same lots of unknowns but like everything we need time to play, time to discover and time to learn alongside students, staff and family.  

Making sure that plenty of time is given to staff sharing, talking and receiving and doing PD as applicable is a great way forward too.  

Over the next few days we will use the plan to really take stock of what we are doing.

• Megan Gallagher (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 8:15am ()

Kia ora Sharyn 

What an interesting experience to start with a clean slate as it were in your new school... I imagine that this means a lot of wondering about what if and will this work at times. 

I love that you talk about staff having time to play and discover... this is what all learners need and will breed confidence. 

All the best with your planning going forward. 

• Chris Rennie (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 10:47am ()

The eLearning framework is a fantastic tool for focussing schools on developing an ICT strategic plan with students learning at the centre. We have not use the eLearning framework yet but we have given lots of thought and have had many discussions on where we might go next and how we will get there. We have considered server vs cloud, different devices and web applications to further student engagement and learning. We have just had a SNUP done and are in the process of upgrading our wireless.

We will definitely start using the framework to focus and extend our thinking. Looking at the framework a definite area of future focus for us will be to build and sustain a professional e-learning community while getting teachers to inquire into how technology can be used to promote student learning.

• Andrew Connelly (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 11:26am ()

Interesting conversation and some great ideas and experience.

I am in a school that is moving along our ICT pathway.  Previously we have fallen into the trap of reactive investment, and have recieved poor advice from providers.

We are now building a plan and heading in a clear direction.  We have formulated a plan to get our foundations right.  This has ment some quite large changes.  Also we are going to be working with Core to formulate our planning, ensuring that we have a good strategic vision heading into the future.

This is going to need considerable investment from the school, however the leadership team believe that this will pay off in the long term and move us along the pathway even further and put us in a good position.

• Steve Smith (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2012 12:14pm ()

I too have been in position of being poor given advice from people and providers. The difficultly is that the nature of technology is rapidily changing and it is difficult to know when and what to invest in. Poor decsions can be costly. We were fortunate to be invovled in an ICT contract and have made some good decsions regarding e leaerning and we have some outstanding practioners who lead the school well.

The Planner is a very good tool for reflecting and also planning for an uncertain but exciting future.

Another point I have picked up reading through some posts is,Yes homes may not have access to computers etc, however I seem to recall the same argument about books in low decile school homes. We continued to teach reading and even had  programmes and initiatives to get books into homes.Computers and technology will be the same eventually.

• khalil Hijazeen (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 11:31am ()

I have been discussing this point lately with one of the ICT committee members. The issue of developing and implementing a vision for the application of e-learning is vital for the future of the school and the achieveing better outcomes for our students.

We need to plan for success, as the absence of planning will sure mean failure and dire consequences to all. The e-learning planning is still at an enfant stage. The school leadership will hold their first meeting in regards to this important issue.

I beleive that an issue like e-learning, with a school wide effect, should be mapped by all stakeholders, SMT; Teachers;Students; and the wider community. The e-learning planning framework will definitely be used as a guideline towards the investigation and raising awareness about the use of technologies for learning.

Our School has a long way to achieve and implement an effective e-learning strategy. We still are at preliminary stages when it comes to developing our infrastructure and align our pedagogies and teaching practice to accomodate the implementation of such infrastucture in our classrooms.

In addition, the Framework could provide a bird's eye view of the other needs that should accompany the implemetation of the e-learning infrastructure, such as professional learning.

I am already preparing my self and my students for e-learning implemetation through the trial of technologies to help students understand the content in my learning area, which is tailored to diverse needs of my students. Inquiry focused approach is another area of interest.

• Steve Te Whaiti (View all users posts) 12 Nov 2012 12:13pm ()

Like many others in this korero, I have founnd the e-learning framework very helpful. I particularly like the view it takes- an expansive one, which allows any school to quickly assess where they are in relation to- Leadership and strategic planning, Professional learning, Teaching and learning, Technologies and infra structure and beyond the classroom. The detail of what each of these areas looks like is also very helpful. Our school are in the engaging phase where we are trialling and using technologies appropriately to support higher-order (deep), collaborative teaching and learning. The strategic map developed by the community includes a few perspectives which are directly affected by the strategic heartbeat, like ripples in a pond- enabling, operating and student perspectives. Within the operating perspective is an area titled personalised learning and blended delivery. The destination statements and initiatives which sit in this, target e-learning. One of the challenges, which many have echoed already, is the avoidance of a disparity in access. Equity issues pop up early. Plenty of open communication, vision casting and research is being carried out.

Another issue high on the parent concern list was digital responsibility. So as a school we are working away at a digital citizenship course every student undertakes, which tackles the moral and ethical responsibilities.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.